What's new

Black Desert - BEAUTIFUL game, lackluster experience. Oh well.

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
Well can't say it isn't pretty.

Problem is.... that might be all it has to offer.

The beauty has it's downsides too, hard as hell to see anything if in the grass.

But so far it is interesting and in depth so who knows. Give it some time for now here are some screenshots.

It does feel like GW2 everyone mash AOE on mobs though and the game is grindy as all get out for max xp gains etc. Japan version is major micro trans hopefully not with US.

Best explanation from a player:

The game isn't for everybody that's for sure. If you're the type who worries about running out of stuff to do in a game then that will certainly not be the case with Black Desert. The problem is that you'll likely grow sick of all the things you have to do. You can play hardcore and get the best gear to pwn enemy guild members, get in the livehood content scoreboard, fill your stable with the best breed of horses on your server etc or you can play lightly and enjoy little of each of whatever content you like regardless of efficiency. Black Desert caters for both types but it lacks merit for those in between and also falls behind in party oriented content.

CAUGHT IN THE ACT! :p
I6Rm97p.jpg

NIs9nJz.jpg

IUWkwTc.jpg

PxhsgJy.jpg

PsElGgO.jpg

QQPXDDi.jpg

h2qefxZ.jpg

CLhHipn.jpg

y3SECOC.jpg

BNI9YTP.jpg

4RPeAL1.jpg

ENeKUWB.jpg

MNpqnAl.jpg

9Lckte9.jpg

swlFV37.jpg

wn3SXuc.jpg

PzAHNqv.jpg

eJWUJu9.jpg

5Zk3iSw.jpg

DMX4WNo.jpg

L7hEshq.jpg

zbB7wUS.jpg

IIJxE5s.jpg

UzZ0pRf.jpg

EW4u7kd.jpg

wHfhVvC.jpg

Shvw4ub.jpg

bE2r4WW.jpg

wTwTxhz.jpg

20CqEiH.jpg

2MnplpK.jpg

p9ShWbr.jpg

MHvZxqI.jpg

HU62TIV.jpg

LKEJfle.jpg

q7OWc1H.jpg

uh8WZkk.jpg

gB3b3yR.jpg

fmjPrHG.jpg

jQHgN1Y.jpg

btalF2h.jpg

rZkwWsk.jpg

xV0AWbG.jpg

n4Nzxl3.jpg

pXjQlk8.jpg

QxaANXc.jpg

Jk1GhO8.jpg

8icn4DF.jpg

d8Bte0P.jpg

RSVPb2o.jpg

XWU0Zaq.jpg

QezUCtp.jpg

kSxw1jK.jpg

Xt1ohce.jpg

beVo0BO.jpg

CrT5sNS.jpg

qgVVwfd.jpg

lzpXLQu.jpg

WeXi9FQ.jpg

Here’s what I think:

If you don’t like the combat, you don’t like it. And the clip with the Lvl50 Valkyrie PvP you linked “what’s going on?”, I’m sure people who actually played Valkyrie to 50, or people who have knowledge of the classes, know what’s going on.
If you don’t know what abilities does or look like, there’s no way you can understand what’s going on in games. I think that applies to a lot of games.
I don’t know what that Valkyrie is doing either. But then again, I only have about 10 hours in BDO, so I don’t expect to fully understand what classes do.
I’m guessing Blade & Soul would induce the same feeling to you as BDO does. Do I understand what’s going on there? Nope but it looks cool, and I’d love to try the game. There also seems to be a rather big demand for it in western countries. And this kind of combat seems like a common theme with Asian games.
Here’s some gameplay of Blade & Soul:

There’s ‘soft-caps’ on the level, which is 50. After that it gets harder to level, which results in more grinding, and I don’t know what changes to your character after 50 honestly. But it is a nice touch for those who want to spend lots of time grinding. It doesn’t seem to take very long to get to 50 either.
More about that is discussed here: http://black-desert.com/forums/index.php/Thread/1181-No-level-cap-can-be-a-dangerous-idea/

About micro transactions, yes there is a cash shop in the game. The items you can buy are mainly costumes, they give some bonuses, but nothing that makes you overpowered to what I’ve noticed. They may give you bonuses to professions, experience boost, and those kinds of stuff. As long as there’s nothing game changing, like overpowered gear only attainable through cash shop, I personally see no issue with it. A lot of games have micro transactions now, its near impossible to avoid.
Though when I mentioned “renting” when me and tr1age was in mumble, he immediately seemed to think it had to do with the cash shop. If that’s one thing you’re referring to with “major micro transactions”, do some further research, and look up contribution points; this is something you get while leveling up, and you can use it to “rent” things such as houses, some items from npcs, trade nodes, etc. These points you can get back when you decide you don’t need (for example) a house anymore.
Here’s a reddit thread about Contribution points: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/2xrzr9/guide_to_contribution_points/
More in-depth houses, workers, nodes: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdeser...ck_desert_online_gameplay_and_guides_housing/

I’m not forcing anyone to play the game, you decide if you play it or not. And if you don’t like the combat; there’s not much else you can do about it other than find another game. But I’m saying it’s a large world, with lots of things to experiment with, and explore. Someone with hundreds or thousands of hours in a game can surely say “no content”, but someone who just started? Sorry, no.

And honestly, to everyone here that don’t really know where they stand in regards to this game, wait for the EU/NA release. That way you’ll experience the game the way it’s meant to be experienced. Good latency, likely to be more tailored for people in your region, and better translations.
Here’s an interview with the devs, where they talk about other regions among other things: http://black-desert.com/interviews/...earl-abyss-on-the-status-quo-of-black-desert/

I’m still looking forward to the EU beta.

I agree try the game when it is beta. Make your own decisions but I just can't get over the fact that I can't see anything even though the game is so beautiful. There is so much flora and creatures are so in distinct and combat so crazy (which I like in single player games or arcade games) it covers everything. He game effects however are beautiful but I don't need a screenshot emulator which I found to be the best part haha. I need a reason to log in everyday that isn't a grind to siege. This is why the idea behind crowfall excites me. Although never know til it releases. But it is also why UO made me happy. Log in and play how you want and make progress. It might also have to do with how people play mmos these days going for endgame and not just exploring and enjoying the world and such for social aspects. Damn you Facebook lol

This game is better than archeage. But it is just basically Archeage 2.0

Also those effects are not because I don't know the moves, it is because the screen is literally a cluster fuck of particles and such fast paced motion it hurts my brain. I want a game where this old man gamer can actually enjoy the tactics instead of wondering what fucking particle effect just hit me.

BTW I did not say the micro-transactions were renting. and you need to lookup what the micro transactions are again. They are NOT just costumes. The game has many pay to win options. But whatever, I don't care if people can level up faster and such, I just want a game where I can jump in and play and be happy playing it. Not feeling like something is missing. And sadly this game has that feeling.

Jiggyyo I will be interested to see how long you play this game. Especially when it is live for EU.
Who knows, maybe I will try again, but for now, meh.
Good to know posting opposing opinions is how to get you to post on the forums though :)

Using the UI off and Slow motion feature this guy made a pretty nice video.

All the comments on this video reflect my problem too though, AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS GAME, gameplay is meh.

I am not giving up yet though. Still clocking time into it. Jiggyyo tell me when you are on and we will quest grind together.

oh and a cool timelapse

• The naked truth about Black Desert Onlines current state of affairs [Open Beta]

The administration of this website has found itself to be among the blessed few to have been given so far access to every and each testing phase of Black Desert Online, as well as, being in close contact with the Developers. This position of ours has allowed us to experience first hand the evolution of Black Desert Online and with the games’ release in Korea being imminent, we stay true to our original intentions as the global #1 hub for Black Desert Online and will proceed to reveal the current state of affairs of Black Desert Online by expressing our honest to god impression of the most recent Open Beta experience we have had.
    In general, Black Desert Online has had good progress being made through all its Closed Beta Tests. From the initial honeymoon phase starting with CBT1 to the “stable” CBT2 and the eventual CBT3, we gradually saw various aspects of the original Sandbox Concept, as it was expressed by the Developers quite early on, be altered slowly shifting the center of gravity from a Sandbox to Themepark game.

There’s several flaws in key aspects of Black Desert Online, which either haven’t been adequately addressed until now or have become even worse.

To begin with, our (the western) Community is very concerned with the experience curve in the game. Even though levelling was according to early interviews supposed to last more or less the same as most new MMORPGs (meaning a few months) it actually now requires only a few days to reach the soft level cap of 50. From then on, the experience curve goes steep upwards and it now takes days to take one level. It is a very strange concept and it can be a major turn off for potential players.

We think, an overall difficult but smooth levelling curve will allow for a better game-play experience and will enable players to get a feeling of proper progression and the relative satisfaction in doing so.

Also the current potion-healing system; Because of the absence of a healing class together with the non-present healing abilities of any class, the Developers went ahead and substitute these with powerful healing-potions. It’s not that the healing-potions themselves are powerful, rather, players are able to use one potion after the other due to the short cooldown and their effect not being canceled after having received damage. This “solution” was addressed by us already at the end of CBT2 and we hoped, that the Developers would find another way to improve the way healing-potions were used, but so far nothing seems to have been done.

Some possible solutions among many would be to either reexamine the possibility of introducing a healing class to the game or strengthen the planned classes with utility skills, such as Healing Over Time, Lifesteal etc and possibly add a universal /sit, /rest function to allow for health regeneration during levelling.

Another key feature requiring imminent attention is that of the Auction House. The Auction House is build around the reputation a player has with an NPC; Selling items include a 35% tax which decreases the more reputation you have with an NPC, though it requires a lot of time to be invested in any NPC to gain a significant tax reduction. Yet, the worst part is, that a Player is limited by the game to sell their item at a price placed within a minimum/maximum figure, that is set automatically by the game. The way the Auction House works may be targeting the avoidance of inflation of prices and rewarding the dedicated players who invested a lot of time in advancing their reputation with an NPC.

We believe, that 1) adding the ability to Players to set up a”Private Shop”, for limited item slots & requiring you to be online, 2) removing the automatic fixing of the price an item can be sold will result in a more player-driven game, returning to its original sandbox vision.

Furthermore, the PvP system of Black Desert Online has been through various phases reminding us of a rollercoaster. Sadly, testing phase after testing phase, the PvP system for reasons we can’t understand is becoming worse. Currently, PvP is enabled upon reaching the soft-cap at level 50 and according to the latest patch-note, the first Player to flag (i.e to hit) another Player) receives -10k karma points (you can have a total of +300k karma points). The Player stays flagged for 3 minutes, and anyone is free to kill the flagged Player without receiving a penalty in return. On the contrary, if the flagged Player kills someone, they will receive a penalty of -200k Karma points no matter if the other Player is fighting back or not, allowing for an unfair event to take place. On another note, experience loss on death has been removed. So if someone is bothering you on your grinding spot, and you finally decide to kill them, they won’t suffer at all and will be free to come again and bother you until you kill them again and become eventually red.

Our proposal is, to make the PvP fairer and less complex. First of all, the PvP restriction of level 50 needs to be instantly removed, as it does not have a place in a supposed sandbox game such as Black Desert Online. Second, all Players should be considered flagged when hitting another Player, no matter the second Players status. Third, there should be no karma penalties involved when killing a flagged Player, rather these should be activated when someone kills an unflagged Player (i.e if someone hasn’t hit back). Fourth, reintroduce the loss of experience upon death since it works simultaneously as a deterrent and motivation in an open world PvP environment.

In general open world PvP should play a vital role in a game such as Black Desert Online. Obviously it is somewhat complex to retain a balance between joyful open world PvP and horrendous ganking. The current Karma system needs to be changed, too . When you get negative Karma, and become red, you suffer from several penalties. If you die, you drop items. You can’t enter towns because the guards will kill you. It is almost impossible to burn Karma when playing in a party because you need to get the last hit on the monster and Karma is burning really slow, like 70 points per mob. So, if you kill two players and get -100k Karma and let’s say for example burn only 70 per monster, you need to kill 1430 monsters, all alone, and anyone can kill you. This is major issue and needs to be addresses imminently, in order for a proper solution to be found. Also, if a player receives Karma, their whole clan suffers and the clan gets negative points as well. So while the Clan/Guild Karma system is a good way of reflecting their members behavior, it needs to be included in the overall PvP-Karma System renovation, as to not deter Guild Wars and destroy open world PvP and the corresponding politics and meta-game features. Another absurdity is the current Arena in Black Desert Online; you’re unable to use it before reaching level 50, you can’t hit Clan members and during PvP (also during PvP in general) potions can be spammed non-stop. Whereas, we believe, everyone should be eligible to use the Arena and the only Players not receiving damage should be the very own Party members (because of eventual Team vs Team PvP).

On the PvE side, Black Desert Online currently features a series of instanced Quest Bosses, that can even be soloed. During the levelling process from level 1 to 50, though there are “mini Bosses” i.e very strong monsters most of the times surrounded by minions and which drop high quality items, these “mini bosses” are relatively easy “tank and spank” bosses and usually a party of 3 Players is sufficient.

What we’d really like to see is open world Bosses across placed across the map where levelling takes place and especially more dungeons (preferably non-instanced) that feature such Bosses at every few levels i.e level 10, level 20, level 30, level 40 etc. Open world Bosses are a good way to rally the community, help online friendships be created, allow for the establishment of permanent levelling parties etc. These Bosses would drop items that will allow Players to have a better farming experience and/or gain rare cosmetic items.

Black Desert Online is a good game with potential to become even better and actually make a big impact in the MMORPG scene, but in order for this to happen, it is necessary that the Pearl Abyss (the developers) take action and focus on improving these important areas in their game. Obviously, Black Desert Online has to offer a lot; great graphics, an action combat system, a unique trading system, a complex horse breeding system, great Player-NPC interaction and many others, these are all features that do lay the foundation for a successful sandbox game, but we can’t understand why in recent time Pearl Abyss and their Publisher Daum have taken steps towards restricting and punishing player-driven actions instead of motivating them.

The western market is a very picky one on the one hand and on the other there’s several great theme park & PvE-driven MMORPGs. What has become truly evident via our community is the thirst for a game that caters towards Players that want a mix of freedom and risk motivating the Player to go explore the world and not restrict them to instanced dungeons and arena-style PvP. We do hope Pearl Abyss and Daum will re-orientate themselves concerning the western community and go for that “more harcore” approach they told us about back in August.

Our Team and our Community are here to offer our feedback and impressions on the game through the many threads and articles for the sake of improving our upcoming favorite- to be- MMORPG!

f83dd696b90e4f5ac13467a49fd28e67ff81c59d639f22c4b7185ee3a6e5af55.jpg

Most of the things that are not liked by us, the english community, have been told in the post above. But some other have been missed, some that maybe are not that important, or not that disturbing, but they exist too. In the recent updates too many flashy effects have been added for skills or for all kind of stuff, and in my opinion and I think i'm not the only one, they don't fit in this game. There's also some problems with the classes balance in Player vs Monster and maybe in PvP too. The warrior is ridiculously strong and since the beggining of the OBT he was buffed and buffed and buffed, even if he was already stronger than all other classes. The giant is also too strong in Player vs Monster. The warrior should be more of a tank class, than a dmg dealer one, unlike he is now. The warrior right now has the biggest dmg, the biggest critical chance on skills, not to mention that he can defend himself from any atack. The classes are still in the proccess of being balanced, but i didn't see much improvement. Another problem is the one regarding the Cash Shop items that can be sold in the Auction House. Through buying items from cash shop and selling them in the auction house a player can get an unlimted amount of in game curency without doing anything and this isn't something normal. Also, I'm concerned about the ability to fight while riding a horse. In Player vs Monsters this feature has become useless and this can be seen easily since no one uses the horse for this. The horse items get destroyed really easy, and after a fight you already have to repair them which can become really annoying. I hope that in pvp the horse fighting will have a greater meaning.
    Anyway, the biggest problem in the game right now are the ecnomy which is not driven by players and the PvP with its karma system.
    2E7MfRj.jpg

• Ikcen

I think you missed the crafting. If crafting is solo only, everything else will be fragmented and pointless. Anyway I see potions as temporary decision, till all classes, including Valkyrie /Evie/ are ready, but not as a major flow.

And still the main problem is economics. P2P economics made Lineage 2 great game, and the removing of player to player economics ruined it. It is not obvious, but here we have the same issue. Why you fight for spot? Why you join a guild? Why you earn gold? Why you trade? The answer shall be much more sophisticated than exp and more gold. Most of you probably see team play in L2 as a result from the holy trinity. I see it as a result from the player to player economics - crafting specialization, player's shops, economical meaning of the spot for crafting of specific gear, gear destruction. If you want team play, healer is not the solution. You need team goals in long and short terms. You need to mix the pve and the PvP. If you fight only because of fight with other players this open world is not different from instanced battle ground. If you pve only for exp and gold, this will be a solo game.

Interesting points of view from beta forums.

Top Bottom