What's new

Getting what I deserve

Keleynal

Jesus Freak
Today I'm going to rant about my own short-sightedness.

About a week ago, my boss made an announcement that caught no one by surprise: he was moving into the position that he had spent the last year preparing for rather than doing the job he was actually in (supervising me and my colleagues). What was a surprise was that he named another guy in my department as his replacement. Let's call him Dick.

Dick isn't a bad person by any means, but he isn't what I would call manager material. He doesn't put others or the company's needs before his own. He seems wholly focused on just doing what he needs to do to get what he wants. Which is probably why he got what he wanted. While I was spending all my time doing continuing education and applying for promotions in various departments and talking to my boss about seeking a supervisory role, Dick was schmoozing it up and apparently talking about nothing but how much he wanted my boss' position.

A couple months ago, my boss mentioned that they would eventually need a replacement for him. We talked about things that I liked and didn't like about the role. He asked if I thought Dick could do it, and I answered a little too politely it seems.

Now I'm stuck reporting to Dick (who is about a year my junior, tenure-wise) until I can find something else. Oh, and I can't look outside the company since I took tuition reimbursement from them. I will have to pay it all back if I leave before March 2016.

But I guess that's what I get for sharpening my mind instead of painting my nose.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I have learned over the years in management that it is 80% who you know and how well you play "the game."

One of my earliest mentors taught me that you have to always play chess and be two steps ahead of everyone else. This is so true.

And as Cersei says it, when you play the game of thrones you either win or you die.

/cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ain't licked yet.

Did I mention that just after being promoted the new boss went on vacation for a week, so I've actually been doing his job for him.

this is all a loooong and drawn out joke for you to actually be the one promoted. After his vacation he will see how far he can push you and have you do his job and then once you snap... SURPRISE! You get the promotion. ZING

this is all a loooong and drawn out joke for you to actually be the one promoted. After his vacation he will see how far he can push you and have you do his job and then once you snap... SURPRISE! You get the promotion. ZING

I'm not sure that would actually be better.

I was in a similar situation at my last job. Boss quit, bigger boss put someone in place that was totally a cool guy but didn't deserve to be where he was nor did he have the credentials. Bigger boss was doing it to appease the other guy so he wouldn't leave. Instead it cost him his entire IT department because when our original boss left the rest of us got out of there as fast as we could.

I know you said you didn't want to look around but in my experience it's the best way to get that promotion or pay raise. You may even end up recouping the educational expenses in your base salary at a new place. Be up front with them when you apply and if they want you to work for them they may find a way to help you out.

At least you didn't snap, go on a rant, break a piece of art, get fired, and end up working a low-paying government job. That's literally the plot of a new comedy on the USA channel. You should just do whatever you can to sabotage him behind the scenes. Be as cutthroat and mean as you should have been.

Why do you and don't you want the promotion?

I actually don't think that position is the right one for me. Based on conversations with my boss, I had some misgivings about the direction the department was heading. They were definitely looking for some one that would be more excited about the potential changes rather than one that might be looking elsewhere if things changed too much.

I think my real issue is the way it happened. There was no interview or process that was made available to me to even consider the position. The way it happened made me feel passed over completely, and it hurt my pride. I'll get over it, and I'll find a better opportunity there or elsewhere.

Based on conversations with my boss, I had some misgivings about the direction the department was heading. They were definitely looking for some one that would be more excited about the potential changes rather than one that might be looking elsewhere if things changed too much.

There was no interview or process that was made available to me to even consider the position. The way it happened made me feel passed over completely, and it hurt my pride. I'll get over it, and I'll find a better opportunity there or elsewhere.

Just taking the snippets here, if you were showing signs of not wanting it, why would they offer it to you? Of course I wasn't there or anything, but if you gave off any scent of not wanting the position, why would they jump through hoops to convince you to have it when they got a guy raring to go?

One of the best tips I have been giving when interviewing. Even if you don't want it, show them you want it. Better to have the opportunity than to close the door before the choice.

Maybe the conversations with your boss was your interview and you didn't realize it.

Maybe the conversations with your boss was your interview and you didn't realize it.

That's why whenever I have my 1 on 1 with my boss, no matter what the situation, I have to do three things.

Prove what I've done is worth while.
Prove that I can handle what other projects are coming down, I can handle it.
Make her laugh at least once (bonus if to tears).

No matter what, I try to abide by these the best I can. There's also no harm in saying "This is a lot of work, but I can handle it with these adjustments" and whatnot. Make it so you can do it within a reasonable amount.

I'd like to think that's what boosted my position in salary twice in 18 months since I started, on top of my actual work. It's these 1 on 1's that make me shine in stick in their mind, and why these new projects are coming my way.

That's why whenever I have my 1 on 1 with my boss, no matter what the situation, I have to do three things.

Prove what I've done is worth while.
Prove that I can handle what other projects are coming down, I can handle it.
Make her laugh at least once (bonus if to tears).

No matter what, I try to abide by these the best I can. There's also no harm in saying "This is a lot of work, but I can handle it with these adjustments" and whatnot. Make it so you can do it within a reasonable amount.

I'd like to think that's what boosted my position in salary twice in 18 months since I started, on top of my actual work. It's these 1 on 1's that make me shine in stick in their mind, and why these new projects are coming my way.
Yes, always D.E.N.N.I.S. your bosses as well as your girlfriends.

Demonsrtate value
Engage phsically
Nurture dependency
Neglect emotionally
Inspire hope
Separate entirely

Top Bottom