What's new

Let's Play "Is It Harassment?"

Keleynal

Jesus Freak
Here’s a post I recently submitted to my college course for a discussion where we had to evaluate different scenarios and decide if sexual harassment had occurred. I thought I’d share since increased awareness is a good thing.

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen to everyone's favorite workplace gameshow "Is It Harassment?" I'm your host Barry McCociner, and the theme of today's show is all about the grey areas in and out of the workplace where sexual harassment can occur... or does it? That's enough for introductions, let's start the game!

Our first contestants are Jane and Dave. They met at work and started dating three years ago, but last month things got rocky, and they parted ways in a messy breakup. Dave just wasn't ringing your bell anymore, is that right, Jane?

No comment, Barry.

I think your icy glare says it all. Barry hasn't taken the breakup well either, in fact he posted private and embarrassing tidbits about you all over Facebook. You really have that tattoo there, Jane? This could be harassment. What do you think, Jane?

Of course it's harassment, it's ruining my life!

A valid opinion. Dave?

It's not harassment, Barry, it's revenge. She deserves it after she broke my heart.

Aww, we all feel for you, Dave. Let's get the official word from our Human Resources team leader, Connie Lingus. Connie?

Well, Barry, in this case would could definitely have a case of cyber bullying and possibly libel. However, unless Jane can show that Dave's actions somehow creates a hostile work environment, then there really isn't sexual harassment occurring in this case.

Well, how about that, Dave? I guess you're not quite as much as a jerk as we first thought you were. Better tone it down before she has a defamation case against you, though. Just saying. Alright! Next we have Linda and Samantha. Linda is a student of the prestigious FU medical program and Samantha is her biology professor. Hello, Linda and Samantha!

Hello, Barry!

Ladies, please stop cuddling on camera. Or cuddle more. That's OK too. It seems Linda was in danger of receiving a failing grade in biology, so she approached Samantha with a plan to receive some, shall we say, in depth tutoring sessions? Am I right?

That's right Barry. Sam was VERY thorough with her lessons.

Hello! Ha, well, Linda got the passing grade and Samantha got some great memories, but is it harassment? What say you ladies?

Barry, if Linda was harassing me, I hope she never stops again.

Wow. OK, well let's check with Connie for the final word.

Barry, I'm afraid that once again we don't have a case of sexual harassment going on here. Don't celebrate just yet, ladies. You are definitely guilty of academic fraud and violations of any number of integrities and trusts. Now that this situation has been brought to light, Linda can expect her passing grade to be revoked and possibly face expulsion from the college. As for Samantha, I see a loss of tenure and blackballing as a professor in her near future. Good luck flipping burgers with that doctorate degree, Samantha.

Yikes. It sounds like Linda should have spent more time hitting the books and less time hitting on her professor. Next we have Mary and Bob. Mary is Bob's supervisor. She has invited Bob out to dinner to discuss his work performance in a more private environment. Sounds like a nice night out. Could it be harassment, Bob?

I'm not sure, Barry, but I'm a little nervous about meeting my boss after hours, and even more nervous about what would happen if I said no.

Sounds like you have your reservations. What are your feelings, Connie?

Bob is right to be worried, Barry. This is clearly harassment on the part of Mary. As his supervisor, her request for time outside of work has many implicit connotations. It's clear that Mary seems to think that their relationship should extend beyond the workplace, and if Bob is not on board Mary is in a position to retaliate against his career. This is clearly harassment and Mary should reconsider her actions immediately.

Whoa, that's pretty serious. What say you, Mary?

I think Connie has blown it way out of proportion. I don't have feelings for Bob in spite of his rugged attractiveness and intoxicating smell. I just wanted to strengthen our relationship and get closer to him.

Then do it at appropriate times and in appropriate ways in the workplace, Mary. And stop staring at him and drooling.

Alright, Connie, I think she got the point. Thank you Mary and Bob! Up next: Zeke and Charlotte. She's the waitress in a downtown cafe and he is her manager. Last night, a customer grabbed Charlotte's behind and called her "Doll-face." Charlotte complained to Zeke who encouraged her to ignore it and smile for more tips. Sound financial advice, or sexual harassment? You decide, Zeke!

Wahl, I'd say it was right rude of Bubba to grab my little Charlotte's cute tushy the way he did, but who can blame him, right? But I wouldn't pay him no mind. Bubba tips real good when the help is friendly. 'Sides, Charlotte's used to it, aintcha sweetheart?

I'm sorry, Barry, but I have to cut in here. This is textbook sexual harassment coming from Bubba the customer. Even worse though, is the enabling environment that Zeke's incompetent and dangerous management has created. Charlotte should immediately file a harassment suit against Zeke and the diner since his actions are creating a very hostile environment for her to work in.

Wow, Connie. I haven't seen you that passionate since that one night in Reno. You heard the woman, Charlotte. Take your sweet can down to the courthouse and get yourself a lawsuit! Man, how time has flown. We are down to our last contestant. Don works at an automobile repair shop where he enjoys posting pictures of scantily clad women all over the walls. Is it good taste in women or a bad case of harassment? What do you think, Don?

I don't know. I mean, I don't think so. All the guys seem to enjoy them; I haven't gotten complaints....

I see. What do you think, Connie?

Could go either way, Barry. Sexual harassment is all about context and perception. Does anyone at Don's work feel uncomfortable having the pictures there, even if they haven't spoken up explicitly? When others visit the shop as customers or delivery people or whoever, are any of them put off by the images? If so, there could be some harassment occurring. At the very least, Don has created a dangerous environment in which harassment could easily occur. They may want to make sure that only those who voluntarily expose themselves to the images are able to view them. Better yet, find some more workplace appropriate decor.

Sound advice, Ms Lingus. Hey, that's all the time we have for today, folks. I'm Barry McCociner. Join us next time on "Is It Harassment" where the innuendo is only as real as you want it to be. Good night!

Top Bottom