• No, this isn't that bad

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes, computers or not, that guy is out there

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, he just needs more hugs and someone to help change his helmet

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Cheese

So, here in Japan computer parts are expensive, maybe 30% more than the US depending on the part and age. The processor alone is $400 from any retailer here.
Here's my computer & the craigslist ad: http://tokyo.craigslist.jp/sys/4901035958.html

Processor: i7-3770K 3.50 GHz
Memory (Ram): 20 GB
Mother Board: Asus P8Z77-V
wireless ready motherboard, the antenna is the white thing on the case

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 You can connect up to 4 monitors using this card.
Hard Drives: 60 SSD + 600GB hard drive you can also add many more hard drives
Optical drives: Blu-Ray player and burner and DVD player and burner

Additional fans added to the case just in case you game without AC
Case is a Cooler Master 690 II
I also have an ergonomic keyboard, Creative Labs I-trigue 3220 sound system (sub&2 speakers), and wooden stand to throw in with it.

Samsung P2770H to match the computer.

The price is about 650 USD (monitor included!), while a little expensive because the parts are not the latest model year they still push past budget computers in the higher price ranges. Yet no one wants to buy this thing, I even lowered the price to 600 and nothing.

I guess its time to part it out and re-pack my suitcases a third time. /sigh.

Seriously though, am I missing something about computers today?

I don't know about in Japan but in the UK im pretty sure no-one uses it.
Look up the Japanese equivelent, like in the UK we have a site called GumTree and obv e-bay.

I did keep it, kinda.

I packed up the Mboard, Processor, Memory, Blue-Ray, Gcard, sound card, HDD-SSD
Now I need to find a power supply, case & monitor and I'm ready for business.

Figure I'll upgrade the graphics card while I'm at it.

My only concern is the shipping.
In Japan it wasn't so bad. I had to take the board out of the bag to be scanned individually. The rest of the expensive equipment could stay in, as their fancy machines can see inside the bag.
In 'MURIKA it was complete shit. Fucking TSA asshole needed to unpack the entire bag of camera equip and swab every piece of electronics or camera gear individually. Even my Mother Fucking USB drives...
Then I couldn't touch anything. Dickbag was rough as shit and if it doesn't work I'm going to be seeking out damages.
Its so retarded how we the most "threatened" nation has the least professional people and most asinine rules for travel.

Anyone who had a bomb would just set it off right there because all the people clustered up in the exact same tight space would make the explosion just as effective. I have no idea what purpose swabbing every charger and camera lense does. The residue would be all over the bag if there was a bomb in there. It's as if the people in charge of the TSA programs don't even know the most basic things about what they are trying to regulate.

Oh... that's right, they DON'T!

Dickbag was rough as shit and if it doesn't work I'm going to be seeking out damages.
If you had a phone or any recording device you should have recorded him through the entire process. "This is my evidence for future reference"

I have no idea what purpose swabbing every charger and camera lense does. The residue would be all over the bag if there was a bomb in there. It's as if the people in charge of the TSA programs don't even know the most basic things about what they are trying to regulate.

Oh... that's right, they DON'T!

That really sucks. Now I'm wondering the same. Was it customs that did it or TSA? I travel at least once per year with a considerable amount of gear and haven't had TSA touch it.

I think there are posters of me at the TSA: If you see this man, F'k up his day.
For so many years now they have taken something that they don't need to, or wasted my time.
They hate me, and now I hate them too.

You are absolutely right I should have filmed it.

Interestingly customs has never, ever stopped me in any country.
The one time I self declared carrying 10 Don Cherry special edition Molson Ice mini-kegs in from Canada they guy at the tariffs desk laughed and told me anyone with that kind of loyalty owes Canada nothing.

I carry a ton of camera equipment with me on location shoots and I am stopped every time for a swab down. God forbid I don't have batteries to show they turn on I'm fucked. I just tell them as I'm walking through now I am a photographer and will be happy to open the bags. I make sure I keep a close eye on them as they will open shit upside down and break stuff.

Top Bottom