What's new

Whatcha got against FPS games?

Zakis

War Priestess
Ok, it has been bugging me for a good long while now. I am calling out to all Tabbers and community people here. I have noticed a continuing attitude of 'meh' towards shooters in general from a lot of people here. I hear a lot of "I could never get into shooters" or "Its not really for me". I never really had a straight answer from anyone as to why.

I mean we have a large group of people here that play a LOT of games over a myriad of genres. Yet, there is a distinct lack of FPS games in that mix. While our Blacklight weekends tend to be pretty popular, there are only a handful of Tabbers that seem to have interest in playing shooters regularly.

So, do you enjoy FPS games? If you don't please elaborate as to why? If you have never tried them, would you be interested? I want details, no random excuses.

I too have been wondering about this. I grew up on pc fps and would love to play an fps game of some sort with fellow tabbers.

Maybe some kind of fps night or something.

I too have been wondering about this. I grew up on pc fps and would love to play an fps game of some sort with fellow tabbers.

Maybe some kind of fps night or something.

Well we did some Blacklight: Retribution weekends in the past. Not a bad free to play shooter. I am waiting on BF4, less than a month away! Planetside 2 is also free to play..MMOFPS. I tried many times to gather even a small squad interested in tactical gameplay to no avail.

For me the main reason I dislike shooters is, that I´m not a PvP player. So I get 0 hours out of most FPS multiplayer. What is left is a 3-4 hour long singleplayer part. And I am not willing to invest more than 20 bucks for 4 hours of fun.

Now this wouldn´t be a huge problem, but then the single player is not so great too because of:
Redscreen, Endless respawn, most of the time 0 brain required. Stand around and wait for the cutscene to finish, walk for 5 sec. another cutscene, no AI (both team mates and enemy), Bad graphics (for todays standards)

I really liked FPS up until modern warfare. I played the shit out of Crysis and Crysis 2. I also liked Far Cry 1,2,3 and Blood Dragon. These had a decent bang for their buck.

I was raised on Counter Strike and have always been big on FPSes, although I haven't been really in to one in a while. I am strongly considering picking up BF4!

I just don't care for them. I like third person view games best, the first person view bugs me for some reason. Also, like Euchale, I don't really enjoy PvP. I do like cooperative stuff though, which is why more traditional MMOs fit me better. I'm also not a fan of the sports game genre, and I can only take rhythm games in small doses.

I'm down to get some tactical FPS shit going. I been playing Black Ops 2 multiplayer all weekend. Lots of fun but lacks that big map feel of the BF series. I have BF3 collecting dust if anyone wants to get into that.

FPS games where the first genre that I started playing and I still have a love for them and would love to play some with my fellow tabbers, however I haven't been playing them of recent because I've really gotten burnout from the "big name games" like COD. Its just been the same thing rehashed with different maps and some slight gameplay tweaks. They just haven't been able to hold my attention for a long enough time for me to really enjoy it enough to play them consistently.

Like we talked about before... after my sponsorship fell through I kinda gave up on FPS games for a long time, and delved myself more into Achaea and LoL a little later. That being said, I have fond memories of playing the original Tribes with my trackball mouse. From there I moved to consoles, bested the 2nd ranked NA Halo 2 player, at the time (Achillesnewbs which I told him was a horrible name... worse than POWMIA his old handle), and then my run with Nukupo in the CoD games. However I'm down to play BF4 during the open beta and I'll decide if I want it or not from there.

Now this wouldn´t be a huge problem, but then the single player is not so great too because of:
Redscreen, Endless respawn, most of the time 0 brain required. Stand around and wait for the cutscene to finish, walk for 5 sec. another cutscene, no AI (both team mates and enemy), Bad graphics (for todays standards)

There are plenty of strictly singleplayer shooters with rich storyline, great mechanics and a good challenge. Bioshock Series and Half-Life series to name two off the top of my head. Also, those interested in tactical, team-oriented shooters like Battlefield can be are missing out by not playing Planetside 2. You do need a group of people to make it enjoyable as lone wolfing it really isn't fun. The scale of the game and the tactics involved are amazing.

I can do FPS singleplayer just fine; Metro, STALKER, Far Cry, Crysis, Borderlands (well that's a stretch what with the RPGness and co-op but the combat mechanics are mostly FPS), Bioshock, even as far back as Half-Life and the original singleplayer Unreal. I just have no interest in online/PvP FPS.

Plus, in general, they can be good fun but I'm more interested in RPGs and strategy games.

There are plenty of strictly singleplayer shooters with rich storyline, great mechanics and a good challenge. Bioshock Series and Half-Life series to name two off the top of my head. Also, those interested in tactical, team-oriented shooters like Battlefield can be are missing out by not playing Planetside 2. You do need a group of people to make it enjoyable as lone wolfing it really isn't fun. The scale of the game and the tactics involved are amazing.

FPS are for me: Carl on Duty and Medal of honor and any games that play like this.
Bioshock/Half-life, Far Cry, are Action-Adventures that you play like a FPS.

FPS are for me: Carl on Duty and Medal of honor and any games that play like this.
Bioshock/Half-life, Far Cry, are Action-Adventures that you play like a FPS.

Content wise I guess you can split it that way but mechanics wise they are all FPS games.

Wait, wut?

Carl-On-Duty-Black-Cops.png

I play all kinda of shooters, but the things that I need to allows me to continue playing shooters is

1. Enjoyable game play style
2. Varying maps and game modes
3. Healthy Player Base
4. Some form of leveling process, be it artificial or rewarding.
5. Team play and solo viable.
6. Gear/stat customization
7. Balance

I don't need

1. Massive warfare
2. Vehicles
3. Flavors of the week
4. Trollololols
5. Hacks
6. "Custom" matches

I expect to see these things in BF4. I may be enticed to pick it up still.

I really like FPS was playing Blacklight for quite awhile but games like Tom Clancy, Medal of honor ect just started felling like the same game over and over with a little better graphics and some tweaks to the map, might give BF4 a try but im still undecided

Top Bottom