What's new

6 Months in London - The good, the bad, and the ugly

Euchale

Crazy German Guy
I thought I might as well give you guys an update on what´s going on after I´ve moved to London. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

The good:
-My job is challenging and I finally feel like I am doing something important. I think a few of you have seen that I am occasionally not as active as I used to be, and that is simply down to being busy at work. The way working is done here is entirely different from what I am used to in Germany. Everybody is very strict with keeping busy while at work, so if you don´t have anything to do, you look around and try to make yourself useful. There is nothing worse than "socializing" during worktime.
Here in the UK it´s more of a "These are your tasks, and you need to get them done." So if you don´t have anything to do, it´s totally fine to take a break or leave early.
-DnD! I finally have a DnD-group. I´m also DMing myself by now and have my own little beginners game. It´s tons of fun!
-Amazon Lockers, I know you people probably have these everywhere, but where I lived before, I didn´t have one of those. They are so useful.
-I can finally cook for myself. That is actually a big one for me. Since I always ate at my parents restaurant, I didn´t really have a reason to cook, but I really like cooking. Now I cook pretty much every day to go to lunch.

The bad:
-The prices here are just insane. The thing I´m mainly talking about is meat, but also stuff like memberships to clubs, or food in restaurants is very expensive.

-London is one of those cities that need the rain. There is soooo much trash lying around everywhere, and at least the rain washes it away. The reason for it is that they removed almost all trash cans due to being afraid of terrorist attacks.

The ugly:
-My flat/flats in general. I´ve already known that flats here suck. Both my brother who lived in Sheffield for a while told me, as several other people. It´s about as bad as you would expect. The first thing when I moved in was fixing everything that was in my house (loose boards in the kitchen, I replaced the shower line). Recently I cleaned my windows and the paint they used inside the house on the ledge at my windows is the one that you would use for a fence outside, so you just wipe it off if you use a towel on it.
Everything that you didn´t immediately see when you walked into the house was dirty, be it the oven or behind any of the drawers.
They have painted over spots over spots of mold with paint that has no fungicide inside. The same goes for the silicon they used in my shower. I hope I don´t kill myself.

Overall I am quite happy with the move, and I intend to stay here for a while (2 years? 3 years?)

Apartment situation seems acceptable to me

Sent from Moto X using Tapatalk.

Could sue for the mold in CA, too.

Tell me more. How do you commute? What's the pub scene like? Have you a chance to get outside of London yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update! I was wondering where you have been (although admittedly I am also MIA on weekdays due to work).

Sorry to hear about the apartment. That sounds tough.

You should tell us more about your DND stuff!

How do you commute?
By train and tube. It works better than I expected and I finally have time to listen to all of the podcasts I wanted to listen to. It takes me roughly 1 hour to get to my workplace, which is still fine when it comes to London.

What's the pub scene like?
I don't drink alcohol, so I do not qualify assessing the quality of the beer, but most pubs here are actually really cool. They have a great atmosphere and are cozy. Food is terrible though, which comes to the surprise of no one.

Have you a chance to get outside of London yet?
Not really, but I'm not the traveling kind of person. I want to visit Scotland in the future, but that has to be done, some time in summer, as right now it's either rain or fog, so not a pleasant experience.

You should tell us more about your DND stuff!
There will be a thread in the near future.

Top Bottom