What's new

A different kind of tech: Bicycles

Passage

Polychromatic
I'm in the market for a commuter cycle (again). I'm ready to ditch the unused gym membership, get more audiobook listening time in, save some gas money, and maybe be a little greener.

I've done some window shopping online and realized that I don't know shit about bikes. I had a 2008 Specialized Crosstrail when I lived in SF post-college, and I wasn't too happy with it. Granted, it still seems like a better choice than a road bike but it was slow and heavy. Fixies would outpace me most of the time. I sold it once I started a new job that was farther away that I felt reasonable for to bike.

After last months move, I'm about 15 miles from my regular job and would like to start cycling again. If anyone has any brand/model recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate them!

Here's what I think I want (or don't):
  • $500 - $750 pre-tax price point. If I knew more about bikes I could justify a $1k+ model.
  • Hybrid/City/Urban Commuter style
    • Lightest body possible
  • Decent hill gears
  • Not a fixed gear
  • Don't need a step-thru frame
  • Something like a:
I look at the comparative models and model variants, and I just don't understand why some cost more or less than others, or what I'm buying, really. Is it unreasonable to get drop-bars or bullhorns for a commuter? The specs are all gibberish to me.

Thank you in advance!

Not to sure Topic. I'm a gas guzzler with my Jeep. I would get run over on my commute to work if i rode a bike

Top Bottom