What's new

A Qwirkle-rant

Jia

For those of you who haven’t heard of it, Qwirkle is a strategy board game (mobile app coming out soon-ish) in which you need to match tiles to score as many points as possible to win the game. There is a fair amount of luck involved, but for the most part, it’s a matter of strategizing to come out on top.
I’ve been playing it with a few friends for about half a year now, and we’ve gotten quite good at it. In fact, three of us were accepted to participate in the German Qwirkle championship last Saturday. 36 of the supposedly best players from all over Germany participated, and two games were played to determine the best 12 players.
The result: I got first place, and one of my friends placed second!

The semi-finals consisted of only one game, with three tables of four players each. The winners of each table would move on to play against the game developer in the finals.
Our names were drawn by chance, and my biggest worry came true: I had to play against my friend in the semis. We weren’t too worried about the other players - as it turned out, we seemed to be better at the game than most of them – but we dreaded the scenario of having to knock each other out in order to move on to the finals.

And so my friend beat me by two points (103 to 101) and made it to the finals. While I can be quite competitive when it comes to board games, this wasn’t what bothered me; it was one of the guys she had to play against in the finals. I couldn’t stop clenching my jaw while I watched him “play”. He’d place tiles only to have someone lean over to him and say “you can’t do that, they don’t match”. In fact, at one point he made a move akin to saying “I have three aces right now, just so y’all know” during a poker game.
He came in last, of course, while my friend came in second – but I can’t stop thinking “if only I had played at his table during the semi-finals, surely I would have beaten him and made it to the finals in his stead!”
Grrrrr…

Edit: Ah... this should have gone into the "Rants" section instead.

This is entirely too good natured to be considered a rant ("Ahh, shucks." vs "GODDAMMIT!!"). I think the placement fits.

That said, way to go with the Qwirkling! Kinda reminds me of a combination of Blokus and Dominoes.

This is entirely too good natured to be considered a rant ("Ahh, shucks." vs "GODDAMMIT!!"). I think the placement fits.

That said, way to go with the Qwirkling! Kinda reminds me of a combination of Blokus and Dominoes.
Yea, I'm no good at ranting... *onycryy:

A mix between Dominoes and Scrabble would be a pretty good comparison! The first time I played it I thought "Yea, it's an okay game, nothing special" but it's been our go-to game for months now, replacing Carcassonne and Dominion (which I grew really tired of).

I played Blokus at the board game convention last weekend, and I really liked it! If it hadn't been for the somewhat cheap-looking and -feeling plastic material, I would have bought it right at the spot.

Carcassonne!!! Do you also play Kolonists of Catan? most games of Klaus Teuber ( if that's his name :p ) are awesome :) Do you also know the game Machiavelli?

Top Bottom