What's new

Act of Aggression - Review

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
Me and Zakis picked of Age of Aggression today. The reason being:

"This is the spiritual successor to Command & Conquer Generals. If you were a fan of that game, you really need to own Act of Aggression."

Well here is my review:

I would not recommend this game.
  • 3 resources = MAJOR micro management and so much expansion you feel too spread out the entire game having no sense of base defense.
  • AI = way too difficult and cheats beyond imaginable.
  • Units and buildings = everything looks so similar it is hard to tell which building is which.
  • Graphics = Game looks good, but everything looks the same. No ground effects for treads etc, feels like 3D units places on a 2D map.
  • As well the ground is so cluttered you never know what is going on or where you are. It is hard to see anything.
  • Super Weapons = MUST BE LIMITED, currently you can defend them with turrets but to get those turrets you need the hardest resource in the game. Too powerful, too often. , no ability to limit or remove.
  • This is NOT a command and conquer style game. There is not much flavor to it, no good voice over, music gets highly invasive, and you just get tired of the same old after playing.
  • Ground attacks are mediocre with all tanks and vehicles doing so much damage to each other it is not about which units you choose but how lucky your position happens to be when you rolled forward.
  • Tactics = NONE

I did get a refund on the game so that is good. Serves me right I suppose for buying into a beta.

They could fix stuff, but it would take a LOT to make the maps less crowded, units pop out as yours versus the enemy and adding flavor VO and a connection to your faction.

Very poor game indeed. Not C&C Generals worthy at all.

On a cool note I did find a mod being developed to remake C and C generals with the RA3 engine and it looks amazing.

02_cnc_generals_evolution_gla_buildings_render.jpg

http://www.moddb.com/mods/command-and-conquer-generals-evolution

Some things I guess are better with Nostalgia. Maybe I will reinstall Generals.. Oh wait I do have it installed! :) Who wants to BUILD FOR CHINA?!?!

Shit I would rather have bought this
my_little_generals___strategy_is_magic_by_a4r91n-d6ug6fa.png

3 resources = MAJOR micro management and so much expansion you feel too spread out the entire game having no sense of base defense.
AI = way too difficult and cheats beyond imaginable.

These two points right here sum up our 4 hours in the game. We figured, hey lets get the hang of things and fight an Easy AI or two. Well, you spend most of your time trying to keep yourself in the black in terms of resources while the computer simply builds up a massive stockpile somehow and proceeds to throw endless amounts of units and superweapons at you. I know its beta but the unit imbalance is crazy as well.

Anyway we spent most of our game time trying to grab and defend resources as we were constantly assaulted and nuked by AI. Thing is, you get to the score screen and with the amount of resources listed that they gathered, there is NO way they should have been able to produce the amount of units they did as fast as they did. They basically cheat...which your saying is yeah its a computer. This was the EASY AI setting...it took our 4th game with two of us plus 2 AI fighting each other for us to win a match lol.

These two points right here sum up our 4 hours in the game. We figured, hey lets get the hang of things and fight an Easy AI or two. Well, you spend most of your time trying to keep yourself in the black in terms of resources while the computer simply builds up a massive stockpile somehow and proceeds to throw endless amounts of units and superweapons at you. I know its beta but the unit imbalance is crazy as well.

Anyway we spent most of our game time trying to grab and defend resources as we were constantly assaulted and nuked by AI. Thing is, you get to the score screen and with the amount of resources listed that they gathered, there is NO way they should have been able to produce the amount of units they did as fast as they did. They basically cheat...which your saying is yeah its a computer. This was the EASY AI setting...it took our 4th game with two of us plus 2 AI fighting each other for us to win a match lol.

Yeah and even then we never did an assault on them. Unit creation was horrible took too long and was unbalanced. The idea of even having a ground or air battle was moot. By the time we got to them the onyl reason we won was because we pushed our defenses line up and not any tactile units.

And yeah with our resources versus theirs there is NO WAY they could make what they did. But alas.[DOUBLEPOST=1437365636,1437365380][/DOUBLEPOST]Here is the

WIN:
NM39IF2.jpg

and the Loss:
rdLnFWk.jpg

VIDEO EXAMPLES OF THE ABOVE

WIN:
http://www.twitch.tv/tr1age/v/8020490

LOSS:
http://www.twitch.tv/tr1age/v/8028437

This is quite interesting, since I´ve recently watched this:

In there it doesn´t look like the Easy AI is building like crazy or anything. The dev even states that they are simply sitting around and not really attacking you on the easy setting. Maybe there was a bug?

This is quite interesting, since I´ve recently watched this:

In there it doesn´t look like the Easy AI is building like crazy or anything. The dev even states that they are simply sitting around and not really attacking you on the easy setting. Maybe there was a bug?

This guy is a sellout. I wouldn't touch his reviews with a ten foot pole. I also listened to it. He is full of shit. Me and Zakis watched the enemy literally spawn things that couldn't have happened unless they were "cheating". This is not Starcraft 2 where the enemy has to scout you to counter you this is the game where they rush the fuck out of you with it all. Shit command and conquer generals was more of a challenege because it countered you.

Either you agree or you are a avid listener.

I will put it this way: Calling somebody a sellout is a pretty big claim, so I suppose you have the data to back it up.
TB is one of the few youtubers that I actually trust. I´ve followed him for quite some time and unless it is WH40k his opinions where congruent with mine.

I will put it this way: Calling somebody a sellout is a pretty big claim, so I suppose you have the data to back it up.
TB is one of the few youtubers that I actually trust. I´ve followed him for quite some time and unless it is WH40k his opinions where congruent with mine.

I actually do have proof :)

I knew him way way back. Like Warcraft Radio back when.

We met, he called me a sellout and attention whore because of the Save the Murlocs campaign I ran at blizzcon cause it trumped his "radio station" but then when he gets the attention he acts like he deserves it. He is just an ass in my book. You could love him and you have valid reasons to, some of the stuff he says is great. But at times I wanna smack him and I will always have the taste of him telling everyone at blizzcon that I was a sellout for doing that skit I was HIRED to do. Sigh.

I knew him way way back. Like Warcraft Radio back when.
He has stated quite a few times that he was a idiot back then, but there is no point in deleting the stuff since the internet forgets nothing.

But yeah, this explains your grudge with him.

He has stated quite a few times that he was a idiot back then, but there is no point in deleting the stuff since the internet forgets nothing.

But yeah, this explains your grudge with him.

I just dislike people who like to talk shit behind others backs when they don't know the whole story. People don't change that much. he just has more influence and is happier with his popularity now.

ANYWAY. SO off topic. The game is shite. lol

Top Bottom