What's new

GW2 Advice needed: How do I make more gold?

Drac

Me. I typically keep my gold invested in items. At the time DM was looking for gold, I dumped about 600 ectos which resulted in around 185 gold. I still have around 750 gold worth of items in my bank, if not more (after TP cut). Savvy investing my friend.
Show me your ways, oh bearded guardian! Seriously.. played since launch and got 13g to my time, I'm definitely doing it wrong haha

Show me your ways, oh bearded guardian! Seriously.. played since launch and got 13g to my time, I'm definitely doing it wrong haha
More or less, I have a lot of halloween skins and rare items. I mean, I just follow market trends. Buy low and sell high. I have no idea how I'd invest now with only 13g. I started from day 1 to follow high market items. Flipped quickly before people knew they were valuable. The gold market is now a "if you're not in it, you're not going to be", unless you get lucky or farm for days upon days.

More or less, I have a lot of halloween skins and rare items. I mean, I just follow market trends. Buy low and sell high. I have no idea how I'd invest now with only 13g. I started from day 1 to follow high market items. Flipped quickly before people knew they were valuable. The gold market is now a "if you're not in it, you're not going to be", unless you get lucky or farm for days upon days.

Please explain to them that in order to get rich you invested a lot of RL money into those skins etc. :)

Please explain to them that in order to get rich you invested a lot of RL money into those skins etc. :)
The only RL money I put into the game was the initial gems I bought at launch. Most of the gems I used during halloween was from early conversion of gold to gems. Also, sadly, in my initial opening of hundreds (yes hundreds) of boxes, I didn't obtain anything of worth except for the grinning shield, which I sold for 25g at the time. Didn't even break even. As time went on, however, I did accumulate arachnaphobia, the crossing, mad moon, a greatsword skin, and a ton of other skins by the end of the event. Why? Because the market exploded and prices dropped. I snatched up a bunch for dirt cheap, most with the 25g I got from the shield. A week after the event, when gem conversion prices dropped again, I said "fuck it, one more set of keys" and got another chainsaw greatsword (Pure luck).

I have also flipped items such as the mystic forge conduit and toymaker tonics when appropriate.

My initial gambling didn't pay off. Waiting for a market crash and re-investing properly is how I obtained my money. My original use of gems did indeed purchase some keys, but sadly they were not used during halloween. They also bought me my three character slots, all bag slots on my main, all my bank tabs, and collectors edition. That used up my original investment more than keys.

Oh ok. Clears it up for me too then. I do what u do. Spend a lot to make a shit ton haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really just want to see your money start going up, start running dungeons while also getting your feet wet in playing the TP. It's not gonna make you a fortune but it'll get you away from floating around 10-20g forever like I was for a good long while. Up to 65g now and still saving up.

That's my 2nd bit of advice. Just stop spending, unless it's in an effort to make profit.

Now that we've effectively hi-jacked Dire's thread.... If I dip into the BLC, is there an "ideal" category to begin with like T6 mats, ecto's, etc?

I've literally sold none of my end game core/lodestones/ecto's/mats etc, so I could potentially liquidate one type of category into another to start things going. Also, I should note that given the amount of daily/farming/dungeons I run, I probably make ~15g/week off just PvE.... I just end up spending it all the time (About to pull the trigger on trading enough gold for gems to by the Primeval armor). But given the dedication I could probably net at least 50g in a month...

Buying rares to throw into the mystic forge isn't a bad way to make a little gold at a time. Sometimes you can get really unlucky, but I usually at least break even (I'm terribly unlucky. at everything. always.). Or alternatively, you can also test your luck salvaging rares for ectos. The ectos generally sell better, and you can get multiple ectos at a time. Or you could get none. You'd probably come out on top over time with these methods, but I never have enough gold to test that theory. :p

76-80 rare weapons (and sometimes armor) can usually be bought (ordered) for under 30s if you're smart about it.

Come on guys...check out part 4...

Throwing rares into the forge was my first decent money-maker, back in the days of bot farmers. As for salvaging for them, on average you get 1 ecto with a master kit...weigh the sell value of a yellow (plus TP fee) over the the price of one ecto. You might miss out this time, but if you do it enough it will all balance out. Human being aren't good at correctly identifying patterns, so you'll need to keep a record to convince yourself (or trust me - I'm not a spy!)

For a while, throwing L76 weapons in the forge was profitable, now it's not.

Get yourself some startup gold: do dungeons with omnomberry bars - go with an experienced group. Use that money to buy investments. 3.5g per 3 runs for AC - more for CoF farming (but that's grindy).

For a while, throwing L76 weapons in the forge was profitable, now it's not.
I get level 77+ rares for the same price or less than 76es most of the time. You just have to check. I do make a little profit off of it, but not enough to excite anyone here looking for noticeable gains. I mostly do it because I'm still crossing my fingers and toes for a legendary precursor. It's an unlikely gamble, but if I'm at least breaking even, why not? Though I probably wouldn't bother if they were implementing the scavenger hunt thing anytime soon.

You could even buy those rares with bids and resell them at lowest sell price, but the turnover is usually unpredictable and you may lose money having to re-list. That's why I salvage and hope to get more than one ecto. They sell pretty much instantly. Watching the price of ectos is always important.

Though I probably wouldn't bother if they were implementing the scavenger hunt thing anytime soon.

Depends if over 2-3 months minimum is 'any time soon'. I was focusing on rifles when I said there wasn't profit in it any more. As always, your mileage may vary.

Depends if over 2-3 months minimum is 'any time soon'. I was focusing on rifles when I said there wasn't profit in it any more. As always, your mileage may vary.
Ah, makes sense. I've been doing staves and longbows, since those are the legendaries I'm most interested in. :)

I am dissapoint. I have posted to multiple threads with solid principals and areas to focus on. We even did 2 hours of podcast on this. The real trick is to use the tools to find a niche or 10 you like and run with it.
but if I'm at least breaking even, why not
This is an improtant attitude to have. Try different stuf and keep at it if you at least break even. You will learn markets and start to spot deals.

Top Bottom