What's new

America, the prudish whiny child.

I don't think there's a particular need to connect this to religion. The article was completely irreligious. I think people can feel legitimately awkward when faced with some one naked, especially if it's not something they want to see. People can feel that way whether they are Christian, Muslim, atheist, or whatever.

This also goes to our unwillingness to confront people when something bothers us. The article described putting up with certain behaviors for years, and yet they never walked across the street and talked to them about it. There's no relationship among neighbors hardly anymore. The Nakeds may have been perfectly reasonable people that would have no problem modifying their behavior within certain hours in order to avoid traumatizing children. But the complainer was more worried about having an awkward conversation than having their children exposed to nudity. Can't really blame that on the exhibitionist.

My personal feeling is that anyone peeking in my window deserve whatever they get. However, I also don't live in a situation where people are basically forced to look in my home when they look out of theirs. Common sense and respect for neighbors would solve almost all of these issues.

Citation needed.

Source: http://poundpuplegacy.org/node/24390

Conclusion
The results of the research presented would seem to speak clearly and with force: children's exposure to nudity is not only not harmful, it appears to be beneficial. Children who are thus raised grow up to be adults who are comfortable with their bodies and their sexuality.

That study is in regards to families that have certain practices that the children grow up in. It's easy to see that children that have an understanding of the difference between sexual and non-sexual could be mentally healthy. But that's not what the OP is about. It's about people OUTSIDE the family seeing them and exposing other's children to the nudity.

For children that have grown up in a home where modesty is practiced, seeing an entire nude family walking around like no big deal could be both traumatizing and confusing. It may be easier to illustrate my point by picking something else.

Let's say a family has a strong predilection for whistling. They whistle all the time and find it very enjoyable. Studies on whistling have shown that whistling makes you happier, gives you better breath control, and children who whistle tend to do better in music class. For all these reasons, whistling is great for this family. However, it does not stop the fact that most people find this family's incessant whistling very annoying. As a result, they are often not invited to their neighbor's houses and their children's friends don't like coming over to play. This family could modify their behavior out of respect for those around them by limiting their whistling to appropriate times. Not because they are ashamed of it or because it is evil. Just our of respect for those around them that don't have same appreciation of whistling that they do.

My point is that most anything taken to an extreme can be socially harmful, both to adults and kids. The Nakeds neighbors need to express their concern to them if the nudity bothers them, and the Nakeds need to respect their neighbors enough to make reasonable adjustments to their behavior that will allow them to celebrate their freedom without causing unneeded offense.

My point is that most anything taken to an extreme can be socially harmful, both to adults and kids. The Nakeds neighbors need to express their concern to them if the nudity bothers them, and the Nakeds need to respect their neighbors enough to make reasonable adjustments to their behavior that will allow them to celebrate their freedom without causing unneeded offense.
+1 from me.

I just really hate it when people say "But children". If you shelter children from something and they encounter it later in their life, they will be, in most cases, unable to handle the situation. Talk and explain, instead of ban and deny.
I´ve just showed my sister why it is wrong that she does not want her children to have anything electronic. The problem will be that her children will not be employable later in life. I recommended her to get a "Family-PC", where they can go online for 30 mins every day, and that she is checking what websites they go to. This way they can still learn, but it is within a safe environment.
Also usually when kids become teenagers they want to do the exact opposite of what their parents tell them. If you always said:"No, No, No" to everything, they will try out these things without parental guidance.

I just really hate it when people say "But children". If you shelter children from something and they encounter it later in their life, they will be, in most cases, unable to handle the situation. Talk and explain, instead of ban and deny.
I´ve just showed my sister why it is wrong that she does not want her children to have anything electronic. The problem will be that her children will not be employable later in life. I recommended her to get a "Family-PC", where they can go online for 30 mins every day, and that she is checking what websites they go to. This way they can still learn, but it is within a safe environment.
Also usually when kids become teenagers they want to do the exact opposite of what their parents tell them. If you always said:"No, No, No" to everything, they will try out these things without parental guidance.
Totally agree. I definitely limit what my kids watch, but that's just to keep them from encountering things before they have the capacity to understand what it is they are seeing and think critically about it. I want my kids exposed to as many things as possible while they are still with me, rather than after they leave home and have no guidance to help them.

Top Bottom