What's new

Are Multi-Game Communities Good or Bad?

Milleuda

Mother Hen

I found an interesting article on the commute home today. The author is an MMO gaming blogger and discusses whether or not multi-gaming communities are "good" for MMO gamers looking for an MMO home. It's a good read, and if you're interested in my reactions/thoughts to the article you can scroll down to the second post.

Original article link here: http://errantpenman.com/2015/04/13/is-joining-a-multi-game-guild-shooting-yourself-in-the-foot/

***​
When I first began my Hobo Gamer series over one year ago, I spit-balled several possible ideas for a title with a few friends; the two most popular were “MMO Nomad” and “Hobo Gamer”, with the latter eventually emerging victorious as my final choice. Though I actually prefer the sound of nomad, it doesn’t describe my actual goal, which isn’t to wander from game to game, but to find a new long-term MMO home.

Over the last few years, I’ve found myself attracted more and more to multi-game guilds, becoming part of online communities where games came and went, but the friendships remained the same. As recent MMO game releases began to show shorter and shorter lifespans, it seems these communities have gained in popularity, with more and more players turning to these persistent communities that will follow them from game to game. It’s not that these players don’t want a long-term MMO home, it’s just become a safe bet that whatever the currently hyped new release is will yet again not be that game. Recent discussions in the MMO community have lead me to question whether this is actually the best strategy, or if we are only sabotaging our search for a home by joining communities that are nomadic in nature.

The Importance of Guild Communities

In an instance of staggeringly serendipitous timing, as I was organizing my thoughts on the topic above, Tina Lauro published a great article on Massively Overpowered describing the benefits of strong communities as a barrier-to-exit in MMO games, noting, among other things, how guild relationships and responsibilities help to tie players down to the game by making them “a part of something greater than their singular player experience”.

We’ve all been a part of guilds before, and I imagine the ways they serve to invest players in the game by solidifying their place in the game’s community are familiar as well. Whether it’s through weekly raid nights, defending a castle together, the guild’s RP, or even just sitting in town with one’s guild tabard on, a good guild community brings people together with a sense of collective identity specific to that game’s world that keeps them coming back for more. I even recently experienced a friend giving his guild two-weeks notice that he was stepping away from the game, which, while a pretty funny situation, is actually entirely understandable when the importance of certain roles in a tight-knit organized guild is considered.

Guilds are an amazing tool for bringing and keeping players together, but when the guild plays more than one game, this can become a double-edged sword. The bond between guildmates is strong, and while it can work to tie players to a single game, when the guild regularly moves between games, it can have the total opposite effect.

The Problem with Multi-Game Guild Communities

At its core, the implicit purpose of a multi-game guild community is to be MMO nomads, and although those involved may sincerely wish to find a long-term MMO home, the goal of the community is to preserve a persistent group of friends over the course of multiple games. For those seeking a long-term game, this is counterproductive and effectively planning for failure.

As a member of a multi-game guild, players remove most of the benefits of a guild as a barrier to exit from their MMO of choice. While their guild still serves to ground them in a sense of place within the community, much of that is transferred to the status of their guild within the MMO community at large, and is not felt as a communal feature of that specific game.

Worse yet, players who leave the game yet remain members of the community often actively undermine retention of current chapters by serving as hype-men for upcoming titles and chapters, not only serving to remove the barrier to exit by remaining in the community, but further incentivizing leaving if the players wish to stay together as a team. Where once those who left would soon be forgotten, in a multi-game community, these players stick around, effectively luring people away from the game they’re actually trying to play. (I’m personally extremely guilty of being that guy.)

In this way, multi-game communities can pervert the communal bonds guilds are meant to deliver to not only no longer tie players to a game, but instead to actively draw them away from it.

During time spent in multi-game communities, I found that I wasn’t alone in my search to find a long-term MMO home. In fact, this turned out to be what the majority of us were looking for. Looking back, I now absolutely believe that those of us who felt that way were in the wrong guilds to do so.

The Right Guild for the Right Purpose

Weighing one’s options before making a selection is an essential part of finding the right guild, which is key to players finding their place and fully enjoying their time in an MMO game. If the player’s goal is to become their server’s most feared world PvPer, then it stands to reason that joining a guild focused on PvE progression probably isn’t going to be their best option for getting what they want out of the game. This situation is no different; if players truly want to find the one game that they can dedicate years to again, then maybe they shouldn’t choose the multi-game gaming community that opens a new chapter every six months. This is planning for failure, and runs contrary to the player’s long-term goals.

The flip-side is just as true. Players who enjoy hopping into a different virtual world every few months and believe that an MMO can be “beaten” would absolutely be best served by a multi-game guild community of like minded people. These options shouldn’t be seen as a good/bad split – it’s about individual players making the right choice for their personal play-style.

The Wrap-up

It goes without saying that the most important factor in a player sticking with a game is that the game actually be good. That aside, one of the factors the players have the most control over is how they interact with the community and the social environments they put themselves in. There is no tool available to players that affects their personal enjoyment of and dedication to a game more than the guild they join, and every consideration should be given to making sure they choose the right one.

Do you agree that multi-game guild communities might be a poor choice for players looking for a long-term MMO? I expect this opinion might be contentious, so let me know what you think in the comments!

Milleuda's thoughts: I know AltTabMe prides ourselves in being the community that outlasts release dates, and we are a multi-gaming community that fits into what the author describes.

So the question remains: are multi-game communities good or bad? I think the answer depends on your perspective.

Let's look at the dedicated MMORPG player first, who dedicates their time mostly to MMORPG's. If that player is medium to hardcore about the MMORPG they play and wants an MMORPG "home", there is definitely a risk with multi-gaming communities. What if everyone leaves to play another game? The perceived "barrier to exit" goes away if everyone in the community knows they can leave games and still stay together, since old-school guilds from the days of EverQuest pretty much stayed in a game to stay with the guild. This barrier is gone if the guild moves games and leaves people behind.

How about someone that plays games that are intended for short sessions, like MOBA's or FPS? I think these types of gamers would do quite well in multi-game communities. There is less of a "commitment" with these types of games, and since they are intended to be played in sessions, they lend themselves to multi-gaming communities.

So what does this mean for us? I think at the end of the day, your experience on AltTabMe, or any other community, is exactly what you make of it. We have all of the tools to connect (chat box, forums, Mumble server, etc) so it's up to us to play together and have fun! I'm definitely looking forward to the next big game to play with AltTabMe. But until then, I'll just do what I love: enjoy video games and share my thoughts/experiences with all of you <3

Very interesting article. I hadn't seen it from those perspectives before, but they definitely ring true.

I've been looking for a game to give me the enjoyment that my first MMO gave me and this has been very difficult to achieve. I did manage to ping-pong back and forth into WoW, but I never really loved the game. It was just the best thing out at the time. The honeymoon phases for most titles are rather fun, but I find that I'm one of the first people to abandon ship.

One thing thing the article didn't mention is that some of the multi-game guilds have a long standing presence in many titles. Take DnT for example: world firsts in FFXIV, SWTOR, Marvel and others. There are many of us here who still play games without a significant TAB groupbase. E.g., a handful of us play SWTOR, people still dabble in WoW, the survival group has poked around in Arma and H1Z1, D&D folks have their get togethers, Smite has it's following...

I feel like the market is too large for a monogamous relationship and the cross exposure gives me a chance to sample games I might otherwise be unaware of.

Perhaps the solution to avoid being "forced" into new titles by the dissolution of a guild is for multi-game communities to join established guilds rather than for their own?

(written while sleepy and after a few glasses of wine. may not make sense. <3)

Perhaps the solution to avoid being "forced" into new titles by the dissolution of a guild is for multi-game communities to join established guilds rather than for their own?

(written while sleepy and after a few glasses of wine. may not make sense. <3)

An important distinction that the author doesn't clearly make is a guild vs. community (which don't always have to be mutually exclusive). TAB, for example, may have a guild in a game, yet in our essence we are still a community that persists regardless. Should the guild in a specific game dissolve, the community is still here.

I think the point the author is trying to make is this: if you are looking for that MMORPG "home" (for most of us, that was WoW at some point but there are others), then you are best suited to a guild that plays that MMORPG exclusively. It's harder to persist in an MMORPG when you are part of a guild (or community) that bounces from game to game if you are looking to stay with one game only.

But I agree with you... the MMORPG market has so many titles that it's sometimes hard to stick to one game.

That was a very interesting article. Agreed Milly, it all depends on perspective whether it is good or bad.

What ever happened to the idea that when I grew up I played like 60 games at once. Sega Channel alone had like 150 games at one time. The funny part of this article is I think:thought about it a lot when we started up. But you can say the exact same thing for the exact opposite title to this article. the article works in this form or the exact opposite. There is no recipe for it. It is about what people are willing to do. It is also about how the community caters to helping those with the one game mindset to understand people will not be doing that here unless of course there is addiction level up time. No one likes when someone leaves a game they love so there will always be sadness be it one game or twenty. The safety net is the community itself. Gamers are getting more nomad these days anyway because we are getting older and we multi task more shit, phones tablets, etc. anywhoooo.

Having gone through a multi-game guild situation with two different raiding guilds in WildStar now, I can tell you that from the perspective of somebody just looking for a place to raid they certainly have their challenges. AltTabMe went through about six incarnations with varying levels of "core" Tab participation as more casual players and "gaming butterflies" moved on to the next game rather than sticking it out for the long haul. Our current raid group contains, I think, one person who didn't come to Tab through WildStar rather than the other way around. And while I hold no animosity toward them for it and it's certainly every player's prerogative to leave as they see fit, our roster issues ultimately resulted in us cancelling multiple weeks of raids before getting absorbed by another multi-game-guild. And while we pretty much own the progression side of things now because we're just that good, a few of us were not very happy with the way things were when we first landed in our new home.

The new guild, Lords of the Dead, is like 15 years old and suffers from a different set of multi-game problems. They take the "guild" aspect of things very seriously. We have officers who report to "guild leadership," whatever the fuck that means, and outside forces that could theoretically dictate our behavior. Half of our raid leadership doesn't have an officer rank, while a bunch of people have officer ranks because they're important parts of the community at large or whatever. I live in constant fear that the other raid group—the less progressed group that has most of the LotD officers in it—will collapse and those officers will come calling for our spots. Fortunately, I think Lancers will die before he gives any of those spots up to a bunch of raid-loggers who happen to have an officer tag. We also have discrete PvE and PvP contingents, and our PvP players are known to be pretty much the biggest assholes on the forums. It's gotten to the point where I don't wear my guild tag anymore because I don't want to be associated with what people think about us in the community because of these people. But the "PvP officers" are part of that problem, and nobody has any power to tell them to turn it down or find a new guild because this place is strange.

Ultimately, though, it comes down to the community. I didn't leave Tab when Tab left WildStar. I'm not here as often as I was when it was also the infrastructure and strategy round-table for the raid group, obviously, but I still visit the site and post on the forums on a mostly-daily basis. I'm friends with people I met through WildStar who don't play it anymore, and when I have time for other online games I try to play them with Tab people before anyone else. But everyone I've become friends with through LotD is, like us, an "outsider." Everyone I'd play a different game with or keep in touch with if WildStar died came to LotD through WildStar. I don't hang out on the LotD website, I only even post on the forums to share boss screenshots after we get a new progression kill.

If a community is strong and welcoming to every member from every game, you can hardly ask for a better place to play. But if a community only exists so one or two people can carry the guild tag to a new frontier, you're not exactly generating "new members." You're not finding people who will be a part of your community when the last raid boss dies or the server gets turned off.

There's two of us. OneWhoRuns (saken) and I left in wildstar... Everyone still considers us the tab group though, which is funny to me but whatever. Long as my friends and I are having fun, who cares?

The thing is for a guild to progress well you DO need a core group but that doesn't have to do with the community it has to do with individuals willing to invest time in leadership. Leading a guild is a full time job. And you must be more dedicated than every other member. We designed TAB as a place where everyone can step up and we will provide resources for them to thrive. But without individual dedication any game guild will fail. A community however takes a different approach to succeed and we have gone through so so many iterations like any good game. You have to adjust and be flexible and evolve. So far I think we are in the golden age of TAB as a community. Whether we will successfully lead a raiding guild is ultimately up to those dedicated to the game and their ability to promote and recruit.

Well yeah. Like I said, I don't hold anyone leaving against them or anything. Raiding is 75% about making the time and effort commitment and 25% about actually being able to do the boss fight. It would be ludicrous to expect everyone you know who bought the game to still be playing it a year later, let alone giving it 20+ hours a week.

But ultimately the "community first" structure leads to a lot of growing pains for a raid group that a more purpose-built guild doesn't run into. We recycled 5 of our 20 raid spots outright pretty much every week as the people who were just playing because Tab was playing realized they didn't want to pursue that level of difficulty or dedication. The existing relationships between members outside of the raid led to a pretty unorthodox guild dynamic that made it hard to enforce discipline or directly address problems. We lost an officer and a year-long Tab member on the first night because of a disagreement about the bench and loot rules. We muddled through it all and came out well enough (we were halfway through GA before so many people quit that we finally had to accept the collapse), but it took us multiple generations not only of raiders but of raid leadership to get the right balance. It's just a different set of challenges to go from a social environment to a progression-focused one; whereas the current group is just a hodgepodge of people who were focused on progression who became a social group because we were spending all this time together anyway.

When you're playing as a long-term community, this kind of thing is just naturally going to happen. A lot of Tab members are butterflies, flitting from one game to the next as something catches their eye. On the other end of the spectrum, there are always going to be people that get really into any given game and want to play it long-term. If you start getting into the large-group content before that split occurs naturally, there's going to be an awkward phase where the people who are moving on leave and the people who need those bodies to clear content are left behind. Which is fine in a game like Smite or whatever, which takes 5 people to play and can be queued individually just as easily. But when it comes to MMOs in general and raiding in particular, there's always going to be an additional set of hurdles to clear in the long term.

But as I said before, the value ultimately just comes down to what the community is like. It took longer than I would've liked, but I helped build a top-15 world progression group so it all worked out for me raid-wise. And in the meantime, I joined a group of friends and gamers I like with active discussions and a strong community. If the price for that is a couple months of raid frustration, I'd be hard pressed to say it wasn't worth it.

So far I think we are in the golden age of TAB as a community. Whether we will successfully lead a raiding guild is ultimately up to those dedicated to the game and their ability to promote and recruit.
I agree. I only have the stories Gyoin has told me regarding how things were back in the days of Arcanix, but I think we, as a community, are in a good place. There are lots of people playing different things and connecting through those games. And every game we play we pick up more people to join the community.

I tend to look at TAB as a safe haven to be myself and bond with others through our common interest of video games. Obviously I would like to have a game to call home with TAB, but that may come in the future (at least for me).

Top Bottom