What's new

'Ascended armor' = feature creep

So you want a rant? I'll give you a fucking rant. I spent more than 10 hours getting my AC Catecombs armor, back when it was bugged and the hardest part of the dungeon was GETTING A GROUP, and pansy-pug-noobs didn't skip Lt 'instadeath' Khola, we LEARNED TO DODGE. Oh and while I'm here... WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T THEY FIXED SUPERIOR RUNE OF THE MONK + SUPPLY CRATE?

Ahem.

The upcoming new content includes 'Ascended armor' which is better than exotic armor. So that exotic set I crafted, that AC set I grinded, and that Mad king set I half killed myself for on clock tower, then paid 10g for, are all now OBSOLETE. To this I say FUCK OFF. This is NOT WOW. You do NOT NEED to produce bigger and better shit every few months. I have five max-level gw1 characters with basic L20 armor, which is EXACTLY as good as the other four with fancy pants show-off armor.

So now we're FORCED to do this new content to obtain better armor to be competive in WvW (one on one).

Assholes.

Coming soon to GW2 - Ascended weapons! Like your legendary sword? Hah! This months new update means your time was WASTED. There's a shinier version now. Best start saving up the 3000 mystic coins and 3 billion karma it needs.

*Waves hand dismissively*
Bah.

Just read it, but I stand by my rant-y rant. Else it would not be a rant.

Yeah however all your work is not lost. You got the armor for looks I am assuming otherwise why not just buy a set of crafting armor with the stats you wanted?

Soooo if that is the case, transmute it onto Ascended gear if you love it more. The stat difference isn't that spectacular.

You misunderstand, I was angry when I wrote the rant, but I am angry no longer. For me at least, ranting does not typically equal balanced thought or even well thought out ideas, but it does make me feel better. I'm happy to admit flaws exist in my rant and are likely to be proven wrong or less-severe than I suggest above, but that is because this message is not part of the ranting medium.

You misunderstand, I was angry when I wrote the rant, but I am angry no longer. For me at least, ranting does not typically equal balanced thought or even well thought out ideas, but it does make me feel better. I'm happy to admit flaws exist in my rant and are likely to be proven wrong or less-severe than I suggest above, but that is because this message is not part of the ranting medium.

I have no idea what you just said.... lol so stop crying! :) Man up! This is what the rant section is for, your rants and us to rant back! :)

Look. So you have to farm a little more for better gear? In all honestly what were you doing for fun after you got all your current endgame gear? I myself found myself farming. So with this new update I will be nice to shift that farming into something else. I have 2 level 80s. 1 worth about a legendary. And I simply find myself completely bored. I mean it was the same when I played WoW. And all of your farmed and crafted armor won't go to waste either as you can still transmute them to the new gear.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

A snip from it:
You’ll also see more Legendary items in the future and an update to our existing Legendary weapons. Legendary items were always intended to be on par with other “best-in-slot” items. So fear not, all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons at the same time that we add Ascended weapons to the game. Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items. All Legendary items going forward will be of Ascended power. We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently.
The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. We’re going to add tons of new high-level content to Guild Wars 2 in the future. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).

Hey, check out this link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1348bd/ascended_gear_or_how_i_learned_to_stop_worrying/

Reddit helps break down the changes. I know you're no longer upset about it, buts its interesting to have things broken down here.

Tl;DR Ascended Armor will be marginally better than Exotic and almost exactly on par with Exotic + Rune. Main difference is that it won't be customizable. Exotic armor will probably still be better against anything that doesnt inflict Agony. Full link: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

Yep, I'm sold. The stats are slightly higher, but like Greens in GW1, they're hard-coded and can't match the unique utility of a full set of runes. Even when they introduce Ascended armor, I'll probably be too attached to my Knight's Exotic Armor of the Flame Legion and its burning-related bonuses to make a permanent switch (or feel cheated if I can't do so immediately).

And... more back slot items? Yes please.

Top Bottom