What's new

Blinders and Other Things...

Kaspyn

Arcanix Lover
Initially, I wanted to write a decent rant/essay sort of thing.

I wanted to say that I'm as American as any, lover of the ideals for which this country was founded. I also wanted to say I love guns and swords and women. I served my country for 6 years, hated nearly everyday of it, and managed to come home from 2 tours with all physical parts in tact but recurring nightmares and feelings of guilt, the worst of which being survivor's guilt.

I wanted to say I sometimes stutter, due to a brain injury while serving.

I wanted to say "you're welcome" for all the incoming "thank you's" but the truth is, I am disgusted.

This could easily be broken down into a myriad of different rants, but for me, all of these things further mentioned hold the same theme. This is a theme of something I was told we were all going to have. that I was going to have.

That thing is protection.

Instead of writing all of that in longer and more wordy sentences, my feelings came out differently:

Blinders

When someone says
this is for your protection”
They believe you.
And then,

You listen, ears to glass, like a doctor
digging into a lung, saying
This will grow if I
don't get it out.”

And like a cancer spreading,
we've grown too big
for our britches,
for our shoes.

We've grown
corn and soy and other types of “food”.
We've done harm and we've done well.
We've sucked the earth dry of oil,
of wealth.

We watch oceans rising, then
slink back to their rightful place while we
go on and on at a fever pace
with our ifucks and our headphones.
We go to work. Then
We go home.

I want to pose a question,
but the problem is I
have to ask the right
one.

How did we get here?
And
What have we done?

We hurt and
We maul,
We cry and
We maim, blaming:

Our health system:
flawed.
Our dignity:
missing.
Our veterans:
fucked.
Our teachers:
persisting.
Our government,
forbidding:

Pay raises,
Second chances,
Prevention
of massacres.

Raw goat's milk,
Gay marriage,
Prevention
of cancer.

We never thought
it would come down to this.
We always thought
We were better than this.

Now we must reap
What we have sown.
After we
Go to work, then
Go home.

I think poetry and prose is such a raw, wonderful form of art and expression. Like music, or song lyrics, it helps us to get in touch with what is at our core. Our emotions. Our feelings. Our 'disgust'.

I am so glad you shared this Kas, it's personal. Very pointed and personal. I am one of those people that instantly, and meaningfully, thanks our servicemen and servicewomen, because I do truly appreciate the sacrifices those individuals and veterans both living and long gone have made for our freedom, and our country.

Do we blindly, as Americans, feel protected? I think for the most part we do. Is it right to feel that way? Not at all. But sadly, most people are so wrapped up in the mundane aspects of daily life... or are so immune or apathetic about the really important issues, that they live in a state of auto-pilot ignorance. I hope that makes sense.

At any rate, I love to write as well.

This is thought and question provoking and makes me feel like I know you that much more.

Thank you, Kizzie.
I am grateful for having gotten to chat with you and feel like I was and am part of something great here.
Glad I feel safe enough to share these things somewhere.

Thanks for sharing. I don't think I quite get where you're coming from or going. Maybe I need to read it again when I feel less tired.

Kaspyn, thanks for sharing something so strong in such a beautiful form. I like to believe that as I get older and older I get a better, truer view of the United Sates and the world around us. As that happens I become even more conflicted between my cynicism and patriotism. I very much want to believe in the ideals that this country was founded on: freedom, equality, and opportunity. Often times though, it seems as if this country has really lost it's way. I had Economy as a class last semester, and was sickened by some of the things I learned while studying the corporate system (I will forever have a negative association with the word "Monsanto"). However, I'm in Government this semester, and find myself defending more conservative opinions (which is especially difficult when living in the Bay Area).

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that no matter what you believe in or what this country gets involved in, we have to maintain a faith in those ideals with which led to the formation of this nation. We just restarted reciting the Pledge of Allegiance this past school year (I hadn't said the Pledge since elementary school), and it irks me to no end when fellow students snicker and dismiss it as if it means nothing. Our government and our fellow citizens screw up. But we have the power to make a difference. Who we vote for, what we purchase, etc. does impact the direction the U.S. goes. But for that we need a sense of activism, not apathy. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Chez, you're so right. That's exactly how I feel. I feel like we, as a society though tend to just go on and on.
I think things are changing, because the generation is changing. It's up to our younger folks to change the path we're on, now.
I'm just glad someone else "gets it", especially for being a younger person.

Top Bottom