What's new

Bloomingdale's Apologizes for Maybe Encouraging You to Date Rape Your Friend

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member

1513589499454037390.jpg

Oh hey, Christmas is here. First Starbucks forgot that Jesus is the reason for the season and now Bloomingdale’s is encouraging you to date rape your friend. Tech Insider found a charming ad from the retail chain’s holiday catalog in which some creep, who looks a little too much like Robin Thicke, gives his well-dressed lady friend the look. “Spike your best friend’s eggnog when they’re not looking,” the very terrible caption reads.

Cool, nothing quite captures the Christmas spirit quite like getting your “friend” drunk for reasons known only to a Robin Thicke impersonator.

But, Bloomingdale’s is really very sorry for publishing the advertisement. “In reflection of recent feedback, the copy we used in our recent catalog was inappropriate and in poor taste. Bloomingdale’s sincerely apologizes for this error in judgment,” the retailer told Tech Insider.

So, in short, hide your eggnog from men who love Bloomingdale’s or who are a little too enthusiastic about the lyrics of “Blurred Lines.”

Stassa Edwards
Filed to: BAD ADVERTISING11/10/15 9:00pm

I read about this and it made me think of a 50 Shades reference. I just don't see how this got the "ok" stamp from a company that is primarily owned by women (don't have the article handy but apparently it's majority women owned).

I'm sure someone thought it would be funny but perhaps they should have considered making it two dudes or two gals...would have potentially been less of a debacle ....although not by much.

irst Starbucks forgot that Jesus is the reason for the season
Except they did not. But it´s a brilliant PR stunt. All those christians going there to get a cup of coffee that says merry christmas, must be boosting their sales.

On the topic itself, I wondered who looked at this and said:"Yep, that is a totally fine advertisement."

On the topic itself, I wondered who looked at this and said:"Yep, that is a totally fine advertisement."

Probably someone who has a funny story of "Oh yeah, that happened to me once". Not the date rape part, but the "someone spiked my drink" part and thought it was relatable to other people.

The wording might have been fine if the picture didn't imply he was going to drag her into the janitor's closet afterwards.

Last edited:
IF IT WASN'T ROBIN THICK'S CLONE TOO!
View attachment 805

It’s uncanny.
1513554643434540613.png

It could practically be the cover for the Robin Thicke Christmas album that nobody wants
Robin Thicke Sings: “Roofie the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Other Beloved Classics.”

I'm voting PR on this one, too. The number of ad agency and client/corporate eyes that saw this... an impossible accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely not an accident. No press is bad press and now everyone's talking about it. Someone just got a raise.

Bloomingdale's has a gaming community talking about Bloomingdale's. Obviously the PR scam has worked. These things are never accidents.

Speaking of which I still want my Christmas Starbucks cup!

Top Bottom