What's new

Blub Blub...

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
Goldfish are evil... You win them at carnivals, not by choice but because the 2 year old standing next to you is give you the poor defenseless eyes of I REALLY REALLY want a fish look, I will care for it and love it and feed it and love you for getting it for them... WRONG, NOPE, DEFINITELY NOT IT! Soooo you win the fish... Now it starts... You carry this dumb plastic bag around the rest of the day, so while your little 2 year old innocent, doll face, FU.... ooo sorry almost got carried away.. so while, they are on the cool rides you are stuck with the dumb fish watching, cursing that damn ring toss! So lets just skip ahead here to the good stuff: You are now stuck with this fish and here is the reality of the fish and the loving care and affection it gives to you:

(fish will be represented by "blub blub") Feed the fish, blub blub, clean the fish bowl, blub blub, stick your hand in to touch the fish, it swims away, blub blub, star at the fish through inch thick glass, blub blub, talk to the fish, blub blub, look for affection, blub blub, (repeat so many times you are almost in your grave) You look into the bowl one day and you say, wow the kid gave it a ton of food today, when you realize it is all the food from that week piled on something floating upsidown! How would the kid have known, it looked like it was still swimming. FINALLY fish dies, you are sad, have moment of guilt, flush down the toilet... A sudden sense of relief and freedom, your life begins again, when all of a sudden you realize... crap I feel guilty and need to buy another fish for the other fish that was in the container since it is now looking lonely...

DO WE SEE THE DILEMMA PEOPLE!!! GOOD!! TILL NEXT TIME!

Easy solution: get a plastic fish that floats and secure it to the bottom of your fish tank with fishing line. Move it every so often so the kid doesn't get suspicious. Blub blub.

The life of a blub blub is tragic one. Spawned for the sole purpose of being sold at carnivals to caretakers who would rather see it spiraling down the porcelain pipeline to the great blub blub bowl in the sky. It's truly a futile existence.

Did you know that goldfish have no stomachs? But they have teeth? *nod*

3H0Co.jpg

Better that than selling them as food for someone's pet piranhas. :eek:

When I worked in a fish store, people would buy them to feed to their snakehead. Nasty fish, them. But goldfish are evil purely based off of the experience of having someone come in and want "the one with the black dot, no not that one with the black dot, the other one with the black dot" ... *RAGE*

Luckily I got moved to the saltwater section because that's what I had at home and knew more about anyway.. Damn goldfish.

Oh gawd, since this is a mom&pop shop, we either let the customers fish it out themselves, or they just don't get to pick. I'm not spending the next 20 minutes for your 25c fish. Nope. Just, nope.

I want to get an aquarium for a first pet for the kiddos. It's a low investment and doesn't take a lot of effort. The 25c fish is good for them to practice on. My kids already know that stuff dies, they've been to 2 funerals already.

I want to get an aquarium for a first pet for the kiddos. It's a low investment and doesn't take a lot of effort. The 25c fish is good for them to practice on. My kids already know that stuff dies, they've been to 2 funerals already.

That's one of my pet peeves. Fish is only seemed easy and cheap first pet because people view fish as expendable pets. They actually live a long time with proper care and some can even live up to 10+ years. Koi can live for up to 100s of years. Majority of first time buyers who come into the store always are stunned when I tell them a price of a beginners kit because they're expecting to spend $5 dollars for their children. Spending $5 basically means the fish WILL die and you're basically buying it for the novelty to please your children.

A basic kit can go for about $100 bucks for everything you need including the fish you want. What most people don't understand is that the larger your tank, the easier it is to care for your fish. The most costly investment is buying the initial equipment, which people are not willing to start because it will cost just about as getting a dog or a cat.

And just because they don't want to put that initial investment in, when their cheap bowl of fish dies, they lose motivation to keep an aquarium because, "fish don't last long anyways."

I'm very much aware that a common goldfish can live long and grow very large with proper care and room to move. I would love to have a koi pond, but only if I knew I could maintain it long term.

I'd expect to pay well over $100 to get a 10 gallon tank and decent set up. The intent is that the kids would learn to properly care for the fish and have a long term pet. If, however, they overfeed or neglect the ph levels, it's not going to cost me several hundred dollars to try again. If I started them with a puppy and that went awry, I'd say it's the moral eqivalent of the fish, but there's no comparison with the pocketbook.

Hopefully, all goes well and nothing has to die before its time.

Top Bottom