What's new

Closing Time

Closing Time?

• Whatever is posted, not a minute earlier or later.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • 30 minutes before they actually close.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • If you got the cash, we're always open!

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
I kind of live by the motto, if you want my money you'll serve me, if not, I'll just go somewhere else. So its pretty much up to the business how they treat me, but getting a frosty reception just before closing when I am about to unload my hard earned cash into your register will pretty much result in me never visiting your (fine?) establishment in the future.

And Dire, you are just always early. Us Aussies are never late.......

I think at this point, there needs to be a distinction made between the minimum wage workers you find doing (say) bar work, who begrudgingly follow management and really don't want to be there, and management who will always smile and take your money. Having been there and done that (hopefully never again), I don't give a shit if a customer goes somewhere else or not. I've been lucky enough to never had to do that sort of work for longer than a year or two. The only motivation to serve a customer and not get paid - is to not get fired. I encourage anyone who hasn't to watch the film Waiting.

People should be compensated for the hours they work. At least if the business is running their ship above board. So, while a customer may come in to the establishment 1 minute before closing time, as far as the States are concerned, that employee continues to get paid while they serve. The issue really comes in where the employee may not want to stay and that is the discussion between the employer and employee.

I have been salaried and hourly, I have freelanced, and I have worked for free as a volunteer. But I am currently hourly, and I know that once I exceed my schedule hours, I qualify for overtime. When I used to waitress/bartend and made sub-minimum wage, I lived for my tips. I never really had a problem with someone coming in late, because I knew that was another opportunity for me to fatten my wallet.

Though, let it be stated I don't have kids (chose not to go that route) so I didn't have a family to rush home to or take care of.

I don't understand this concept of serving a customer and not getting paid... is that something that happens a lot in Australia or the UK?

Maybe it happens in the US and I just have been lucky enough not to experience it, but there are labor laws to protect employees from such abuses.

What I also think stems from this issue is that many people no longer enjoy working. There is a sense of entitlement, rather than appreciation, that comes with a job... and I think it is important for people to be reminded that having a job is a fortunate occurrence... just ask anyone without a job. Looking for work is the toughest job of all.

They I've been employed, they'd never pay me more than the hours scheduled before the shift, unless there was a special dispensation. But I worked for assholes.

I used to work in customer service and it was a nightmare. People are complete ass's to employees, so i can understand some people not wanting to work a minute over what they are paid. I felt the same way but i did my job with a smile because i got paid for what i worked over. Luckily i am in an office setting now where i make my hours. I work usually 8am. to 5 or 6 pm. that long because i like money and it pays for bills and fun stuff.

IMO it all depends on the settings, employees, employers and customers.

Top Bottom