What's new

Console vs PC Gaming

Simpwn

Praise the Sun!
It's the age old argument of who is better: Console or PC gamers. This article offers some insight into a xbox game that was once tested as cross platform. The TL;DR of the matter - average PC gamers crushed very good console gamers every time. The keyboard and mouse are just too precise and faster than the console controller.

Source: http://www.oxm.co.uk/21262/xbox-vs-pc-scrapped-because-of-imbalance/

Xbox vs. PC scrapped "because of imbalance"

Mouse and keyboard deemed too powerful, says... PC man

You might remember a game called Shadowrun, released on both Xbox 360 and PC, which allowed players on the two platforms to play each other. Sadly, it was a bit rubbish and FASA Studios, the team behind it, closed shortly afterward. A footnote in history, surely?

Not according to the founder of Voodoo PC, Rahul Sood - apparently Shadowrun was all part of a bigger initiative by Microsoft to get 360 and PC players competing against each other. "There was a project that got killed at Microsoft. This project was designed to allow console gamers and PC gamers to interact and battle over a connected environment," Sood explains on his blog.

"I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse."

Unfortunately the precision of mouse aiming meant the PC players had something of an advantage.
"The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative."

We reckon this is a bit of a shame. While the mouse does have advantages, there are hundreds of games aside from standard deathmatch shooters that could have benefited from a bit of cross platform rivalry.

Do you think you'd be able to take on PC players in shooters? We reckon while the mouse is good for twitch headshots, when it comes to tracking moving targets and driving vehicles in larger battlefields, the Xbox 360 control pad is the best. In a game like Battlefield Bad Company 2, which requires a little more in the way of strategy, the rounds would probably be relatively balanced, especially if teams were a mix of players from both platforms.

Update 11/2013 - Seemingly, cross-platform multiplayer is making a comeback. According to Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer, allowing multiplayer between PC users and owners of the new Xbox One makes "a lot of sense". Will the concept will take flight this time round?

I think I´ve been talking about this somewhere here on the forum. In short:

A. You can plug in Mouse and Keyboard into most consoles
B. PC Gamer Master Race

B. PC Gamer Master Race
This was said with irony...

From linked article:
"I meant it as a dig. Some PC gamers I think have been using it unironically, but that's not what matters. What matters is that elitism was what turned me off to PC gaming, just a few short years ago. And that's what amazes me, in retrospect. I started leaning more towards console gaming because they were approachable, easier to use, and you didn't have to wade through as much bullshit to get to the point of actually playing the fucking games. That was where I perceived the future of gaming lay. There cannot possibly be a future, I thought, in a gaming platform that deliberately reduces and alienates its potential audience.
It amazes me that I once thought all this, and now, as I start considering my options in terms of gaming desktop PCs, I am thinking exactly the same things about the next generation of consoles. PC gaming still retains the issues mentioned above, it's still expensive and there can still be a lot of bullshit involved in getting games running, but suddenly these problems look relatively small."

^ very true, one thing i have to say i love about console gaming is you just put the disk in and play. end of story. no installing, random bugs, shutting down half way through installation. or lag spikes. windows deciding now is the best time to update etc.
also i realise that was more than 1 thing haha.

that being said i think i still prefer PC just cause i use it for everything so feel like i get my moneys worth out of it, and you can make it your way and not just generic

No installing?
Your other points are indeed valid, though adding an SSD to your gaming rig will definitely add to your 'turn on and play' appeal. Windows updates, bugs etc are all part of the problem of an open system and are fundamental to the PC systems, consoles will always be better there.

to me dealing with installing and bugs take a extremely small portion of time to take care of for a much better gaming experience. also you mentioned lag which is a issue common to both consoles and pc's.

There is a place for both IMO, at least for me. MMO's, games like Battlefield, and strategy games just make sense on PC. Sports games, action games (Dark Souls, Darksiders, ect) and some RPG's (Mass Effect) just feel better being played from my couch. I have my PC and i have a PS4 now and I plan on gaming on both platforms a lot.

I like both PC and console gaming, but as far as console players playing against PC players i believe PC gamers will always have the advantage especially with add ons ,macros ect

There is only one thing console and controllers are better for than keyboard and mouse, and that's fighters... or you know, gamepads work really well too.

Why I like my PC over a console:
I can mod my games. I have (most) of the indie games (that for me are more fun than most AAA titles being releases). If I get a game later than I would get it on the console, the DLCs are usually included. I pay 35-40 bucks for a new game thanks to online deals, while console games can easily cost up to 70 bucks.
Reason why I still have a console: Nothing beats sitting around a console with friends over a beer playing Nintendo games (Mario cart, Super smash bro., Mario Party) or games that are 4 players on one screen (Dragons crown).
BUT I can connect my PC with my TV and 4 controllers and play ANY old game I want together with my friends, without changing cords. For this I will most likely get the steambox to make it easier.

Top Bottom