What's new

GW2 Don't Suck: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying, and Learned to Play my Profession

PsionicFox

Future Man
An Introduction

Let me preface this article (and the Profession build articles to follow), by saying all of this comes from what I've learned personally in playing GW2. Some of it may also be totally obvious to you because you have mad skills. Or maybe you like to study what you play like I do. You might think this article isn't for you, but you couldn't be more wrong.

This article is for everyone. Pros, new players, casual, hardcore, whoever. So read it, and maybe we'll all have better experiences for it.

Cheers,

PsionicFox

Your Profession, and how You're Doing it Wrong

This is the most common problem I've found with GW2. There are eight professions, and people seem to forget they're unique. More than "Magical Fighter" and "Physical Fighter" (Guardian and Warrior), each profession does things VERY differently. From weapon choices, to baseline stats, to skills, and finally, unique mechanics, each profession is a very different beast. The first and most important aspect of playing this game, is understanding how each profession differs from the next. Now, this article isn't going to break down the exact mechanics of each profession's unique tricks (there'll be time for that later), but these are the three golden rules of profession mechanics:

1. Always take advantage of your unique mechanics. ALWAYS. If you're not making/shattering Clones as a Mesmer, or utilising your Ranger's Pet to maximise damage output, or switching Attunements as an Elementalist, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

2. Practice those little tricks that are inevitable to learn while playing as you level. Like knowing when enemies are blocking you, so that one-hand sword Burst skill from your kickass Warrior will not be wasted. Or seeing the telegraphed move from the enemy that tells you the group probably needs an Aegis right about now. These are the invaluable secrets of your profession. Learn them.

3. Don't use your unique tricks to the exclusion of all else. Don't use your Warrior Burst just because it's off cooldown, or use your Water Attunement cleanse just because one group member is suffering a Condition. Read the fight, and learn the most effective time to use that ability. Don't just cycle cooldowns.

The main watchwords are this: Be reactive, be attentive, be proactive. React as the situations arise, pay attention to the environment and the fight as it goes on to turn it to your advantage, and proactively take command of the fight. The same goes for PvE and PvP. If you control the fight, you'll win, nine times from ten. If you're scrabbling around trying to keep people alive, trying to just not die, you'll find it a LOT harder.

Coming up: Profession Mechanics - What they do, and how to abuse them.

Top Bottom