What's new

Dual Screen Rage!!!

shamesdean

I work in an office where the majority of people have a dual monitor set up. As i walk around I see people everyday with the following configurations -

1.One monitor turned off
2.Both monitors showing the same thing.
3.One monitor with Outlook on it while they flick between two applications on the other screen.

Now this may not seem to be as the other rants on this forum, but this sort of behavior drives absolutely batshit crazy. I just want to spin them around, shake them and yell "Don't you realise that there is a much more effective screen configuration for the current work you are doing!!"

The only thing that keeps me from totally exploding is attempting to work out which of the above three crimes against dual monitor configuration is the worst.

I know the feeling. I work with 2 monitors and i love it! I couldn't work without them or i would go crazy. I wish i had three with the amount of work i have to go through every day.

Yes, if i saw that i would tell them to put the 2 screens to use or i would grab their mouse and config them to "Extend" which is the most helpful of the setups... and then just walk away

I have 2 monitors at home and work. At work I usually have my code and SQL management stuff on one screen, and whatever site I happen to be working on on the other, along with whatever references I'm reading.

At home it's usually whatever game I'm playing on my widescreen, then websites, chat and VOIP software on the smaller second screen.

1.One monitor turned off
2.Both monitors showing the same thing.
3.One monitor with Outlook on it while they flick between two applications on the other screen.
(...)
The only thing that keeps me from totally exploding is attempting to work out which of the above three crimes against dual monitor configuration is the worst.
The second one is definitely the worst. I'd rather see people turn off a monitor that they're not using than to have them waste energy on mirroring their main screen.

I have two monitors at home and it makes it doubly (no pun intended... DAMMIT KISMET YOU OPENED THE FLOODGATES) hard at my job to work with just one monitor. It drives me nuts when people waste the opportunity like that.

i'd have 100 if they let me, and arrange them all over my desk like a security room in a James Bond villians hideout.

I used one monitor for my job for a long time. Then one day my boss told me we were getting another, like pretty much everyone else in the company. I was all "whatever" until it came in and I started using it.

It's night and day for me. I have to do a TON of cutting and pasting. Dividing one screen in half or alt-tabbing around was fine while I had to do it, but MAN is it easy just to have both my applications running full size at the same time. I'd say it easily doubled my productivity.

Not only that. but one monitor is easily seen by my boss, so it's all work. But the other is mostly obscured, so it's Alttabme.com all the time! or it WAS until IT shut me down. Maybe I wasn't as sneaky as I thought...

I used one monitor for my job for a long time. Then one day my boss told me we were getting another, like pretty much everyone else in the company. I was all "whatever" until it came in and I started using it.

It's night and day for me. I have to do a TON of cutting and pasting. Dividing one screen in half or alt-tabbing around was fine while I had to do it, but MAN is it easy just to have both my applications running full size at the same time. I'd say it easily doubled my productivity.

Not only that. but one monitor is easily seen by my boss, so it's all work. But the other is mostly obscured, so it's Alttabme.com all the time! or it WAS until IT shut me down. Maybe I wasn't as sneaky as I thought...

I used to go nuts when they wouldn't give the "new guy" in the officer another monitor. We all had 2 or 3 minimum. For video editing it was clutch. I was spoiled at first by a 21 inch wide screen dell. So then I got one at home. Then we got 24s at work and I was like NOOOO MINE SUCKS and got a 30 with the 21 verticle on the side. At one point I ran a 28 30 and 21 but now I just use a 28 and 30 as I find the 21 to be a waste of desk space and put my laptop there. So either way I usually have 3 screens going at once. I can't live without it!!! 1 screen is death to me lol.

I used to go nuts when they wouldn't give the "new guy" in the officer another monitor. We all had 2 or 3 minimum. For video editing it was clutch. I was spoiled at first by a 21 inch wide screen dell. So then I got one at home. Then we got 24s at work and I was like NOOOO MINE SUCKS and got a 30 with the 21 verticle on the side. At one point I ran a 28 30 and 21 but now I just use a 28 and 30 as I find the 21 to be a waste of desk space and put my laptop there. So either way I usually have 3 screens going at once. I can't live without it!!! 1 screen is death to me lol.
Tell me about it. When I'm at school working with a computer I can only use one screen.
It's really hard doing stuff on a 17" 4:3 screen... It's alright for looking up stuff, but when I have to use Word and the internet? Or maybe write a program with a really small screen?
Pretty hard, even if it's just a really basic programming language like Scratch (and by basic I mean drag and drop commands lol), 2/8 of the screen is being used by my menu and 3/8 is being used just to show a demo/debug. The rest is for me to write my program, and since I can't scroll in Scratch it's hell.

I can't believe my dad says "you don't need 2 monitors, it draws too much electricity", it's heaven for me.

Top Bottom