What's new

Finally, we won’t have to power off during takeoff and landing

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
After months of cajoling, prodding, and pushing, the Federal Aviation Administration is expected to finally remove the requirement that electronic devices be turned off and put away during the takeoff and landing phases of commercial flights.

The New York Times reported on Monday that an FAA advisory panel is expected to recommend pulling back these electronic restrictions in a meeting this week. That board is expected to pass along its recommendation to the full FAA later in the month, with implementation in the skies happening sometime in 2014.

The new rules will almost certainly not permit mobile phone calls, in-flight texting, or mobile data use that would require communication with ground-based towers.

For almost a year now, Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO) has been the voice of angry members of the public who want to be able to continue listening to a podcast, reading an e-book, or gaming on a plane without interruption.
"The public is growing increasingly skeptical of prohibitions on the use of many electronic devices during the full duration of a flight, while at the same time using such devices in increasing numbers," McCaskill wrote in a letter to the FAA last year. "For example, a traveler can read a paper copy of a newspaper throughout a flight, but is prohibited from reading the same newspaper for major portions of the flight when reading it on an e-reader."

It’s likely that the new regulation will cover all airlines and all kinds of aircraft, as airlines will have to certify that their fleets can withstand a certain level of interference. Airline companies already have to do that when they install onboard Wi-Fi and digital entertainment systems.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...have-to-power-off-during-takeoff-and-landing/

Bout time. It was fairly common knowledge that these devices did nothing to interfere with airplane electronics or communications. Mythbusters even devoted an episode to busting this and other airplane myths.

Finally! No more headphones through the jacket sleeves, no more angry silence while you sit there on the tarmac for 2 hours waiting for a 2 hour flight, no more babies!! (if i cant hear you, you dont exist). Ahhh economy is gonna be alright

I never turned my stuff off. Airplane mode for no transmission is the most I ever did.

On my flight home, I ignored the instruction to shut off my iPad, but then a stewardess came over and stared at me until I did it. I could have been the Rosa Parks of the Electronics Movement, but I decided that not getting kicked off the plane was the priority, so I caved.

Its interesting to see them finally make a move towards this. There will still be no air to ground tower communications (texting, calls) and they really need to make that distinction. People might hear this and think they can go about using their cell phones as they please.

All I see here is a bunch of angry people who want to remain glued to an electronic device. Airplanes were the last bastion for physical copies of books and other fine literature, such as skymall catalogs. Ya'll fools addicted.

All I see here is a bunch of angry people who want to remain glued to an electronic device. Airplanes were the last bastion for physical copies of books and other fine literature, such as skymall catalogs. Ya'll fools addicted.

I just want my music on takeoff and landing. Also did you ever notice a movie ALWAYS is ABOUT to end right as they start their landing?

The next thing I want to see changed is the price of entertainment on flights. I'd rather they add a few bucks onto the price of a ticket for each person and not charge a fee for basic entertainment. I understand there are probably legal reasons why they need to charge, but I think it's crazy that both myself and my wife need to pay for the same movie if we want to watch something on our 3+ hour flight.

Top Bottom