What's new

Helpful times for improving iOS 7 Battery Life

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
aa-lede-image-v1-620x.jpg

Making the most out of your iPhone's battery (updated for iOS 7)

Enterprises and business users love the iPhone because of its back-end management and security features that allow employees to bring their own from home (BYOD) and use it in the workplace. The one thing that lets the device down from full marks is its battery life. Compared to the old business favorite BlackBerry, the iPhone's battery life is far from comparable.

Here are 23 things you can do to make your iPhone run a little longer.

I tested a bunch of these.

b-1-airdrop-620x.png

Turn off AirDrop except when needed

AirDrop is now available for iPhone 5, 5s, and 5c devices running iOS 7, allowing you to share files and photos with friends and colleagues over-the-air when they are in close proximity. But its use can take a heavy toll on your battery, particularly when AirDrop is in "discoverable" mode.

Simply swipe up from your home screen to bring up the Control Center, then tap AirDrop. SelectOff when you're not using it.

b-2-apprefresh-620x.png

Limit apps from churning up data, power in the background

You can now limit which dormant apps download data, and therefore consume power, in the background. For instance, while it may be useful for a mapping app to provide you up-to-the-minute turn-by-turn directions on the road, you may not want other apps, such as the Stocks app, to update if you're not particularly interested in the financial market.

To change this setting, tap through to Settings > General > Background App Refresh, then deselect apps that you do not want to update in the background when they're not in use.

b-3-auto-app-download-620x.png

Disable auto app updates; manually update at your convenience

iOS 7 will now update your apps in the background. As you're connected to Wi-Fi networks (or the cellular network), your apps will remain up-to-date without bugging you. But this consumes data and power, and should be restricted for when you're free to plug in your iPhone to charge.

Tap the Settings icon, scroll down to iTunes & App Store and turn of the Updates and Appssettings. Another quick power (and data) saving tip, you can allow updates when you're on Wi-Fi only, by deselecting Use Cellular Data at the same time.

b-6-parralax-620x.png

Turn off 'parallax' motion user interface

If you slowly jiggle your iPhone in your hand, you may notice the "parallax" effect of three-dimensional icons sitting on top of your wallpaper. This effect uses internal hardware to sense the direction, speed, and motion of your movements. This, as you might expect, will drain the battery. Though flashy and visually quite cool, it's not wholly necessary if you're a power-user.

To disable the 'moving wallpaper' feature, head to Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion, then flick the switch in the off position.

b-7-raisetospeak-620x.png

Disable Siri's 'raise to speak' feature

Siri can be activated by holding your iPhone close to your face, as though you're having a face-to-face talk with the intelligent assistant. But the proximity hardware sensor is always checking to see if you are nearby. This may impact the battery over the course of the day.

Head to Settings > General > Siri, then disable the Raise to Speak button to disable the feature. The alternative isn't so bad: you can still hold down the home button to speak to Siri.

b-8-turnoffspotlight-620x.png

Prevent Spotlight Search from indexing unnecessary files

Spotlight needs to index your entire phone's contents regularly so that it can serve up the best results. This may not use up a whole lot of processing power, but it's certainly helpful in the long run by removing items from the list that you don't use.

You can select which areas of your phone to index by heading to Settings > General > Spotlight Search and tapping any item you wish to exclude from the search index.

c-2-syslocservices-620x.png

Disable location-related system services

Location services use GPS for location-aware apps and services. While it's useful knowing where you are on Google Maps, what you don't see is what is going on behind the scenes. Ads are being displayed based on your location and traffic data is updated — meawhile your iPhone is always pinging out to see where you are to keep an eye on which time zone you're in. All of these things are unnecessary and churn up your battery life.

Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. When On, scroll down to System Services, then uncheck all of these items. When you're not using Location Services, such as GPS, then simply turn it Off. (You can't, however, disable Location Services as quickly as other items from the swipe-up Control Center. You have to perform this switch manually.)

Since it is a slide show I am way to lazy to go to each page and copy paste the tips for you, I just pasted the ones I like. I would recommend a bunch of em.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-improve-your-iphones-battery-life-updated-for-ios7-7000014902/

Enjoy!

If you don't have a 5 or up you don't even have airdrop. Anyway all this is negated with a portable power pack ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My iPad 4 does have airdrop. What kind of establishment do you think I'm running here?
One that emphasizes kids over yourself. BUT GOOD MAN! They need to learn to fend for themselves. Better not interrupt daddy and his technology needs, YOU CAN EAT NEXT WEEK.

:p

Top Bottom