What's new

Intense Boredom. I Hate Anti Psychotics.

Razulian

The Mad Scientist
So I've been on Risperidone for about 3 months now and I've been having intense boredom for a very long while now. I've lost all my motivation in life, ofcourse I'm nothing thinking of dying but still I've just lost all my interest.
I think the the medication has intensely lowered my dopamine levels, and if you don't know already: dopamine is one of the most essential chemicals for motivation.
I don't feel depressed anymore and I function normally now but I'd rather be happy than function normally.
I mean I've been wanting to study and get a PhD in engineering since my childhood, I felt happy when gaming, building/repairing computers.
I didn't always look at the time at school waiting for school to be over so I could go home and sleep. Speaking of sleep I've been sleeping for atleast 12 hours the last couple of weeks. Mainly because I started to have cooler dreams, like I would be the main character in a movie. That has been the only thing which I didn't get bored of.
I've wanted to meet a girl who's awseome for a really long time and finally met a girl who's as crazy as me (atleast as crazy as I once was before this shit happened) AND I GOT FUCKING BORED OF HER.
It's a good thing for me that she did something stupid and got grounded for a long while, so I'm not going to be able to talk to her and hopefully that way I'll gain some interest in her again.
Because of this I've stopped taking Risperidone, I've been off of it for a couple of days yet I don't feel any different.
My worst fear is that it caused a dopamine blockade for good. I'd rather be nervous, shy and be scared while talking to other people instead of being bored (there are reports of Risperidone curing the disease... probably by blocking the dopamine, if that's true then it'll cause other problems). No fun.

TL;DR: The friggin Risperidone I had to take for my Asperger's Syndrome caused me to get apathy (or lack of motivation/drive) by lowering my dopamine levels. I've been bored ever since.

PS: Atleast the stuff helped me to be a bit more social (which was the reason why I started to take it). I've been able to talk with people in groups a lot easier than before, I even was able to talk with the girl I had an interest in and wasn't nervous on our date but I lost my interest in her very fast... not good.

EDIT: If you know how to lose the apathy or get higher dopamine levels please post, I need all the info I can get.

I don't know anyting about biochemistry, but I do know that it's a pretty complicated balancing act. Have you talked to your psychiatrist/physician/nutritionist? I think there's a fairly good chance that they could work with you to adjust the medication levels and/or your diet to help achieve more balance.

I personally think the best solution is the one that uses the least amount of medication, but I'm also fortunate to not need prescription medication on a daily basis. I think you're on the right track with educating yourself about your health conditions, and you're intelligent enough to be able to work with your doctors to find a good solution. Some people take many years to find a balance that works well for them, and since your body tends to make different levels of hormones depending on your age, time of the month, season of the year, ect. in gets pretty challenging.

How to lose apathy? Find something you are passionate about and get involved. There are lots of community service and volunteer opportunities. If you can't find one that you like, make one. That would keep you pretty busy. There's been some pretty amazing things achieved by people just like you that were just looking to stave off boredom.

Hang in there, Raz!

Well I've been thinking about starting a Youtube show. Every day a new video shouldn't be a problem for me and should keep me busy.
I've been looking at the trends right now and looking at the best ways of promoting my videos (as in making them show up in every search result).
Though the amount of competition is very high and that kinda scares me.

Meh. Just do it for yourself. If anyone else notices, so much the better, but you don't succeed or fail based on the response of the fickle masses.

Well I've been thinking about starting a Youtube show. Every day a new video shouldn't be a problem for me and should keep me busy.
I've been looking at the trends right now and looking at the best ways of promoting my videos (as in making them show up in every search result).
Though the amount of competition is very high and that kinda scares me.

Plus you KNOW we will help promote ya :)

Top Bottom