What's new

Job Security

Brigga

I've always felt that I have job security with my current employer. I'm hard working, easy to get along with, and always get the job done. It was made more apparent to me just how secure my job here is, outside of an economic disaster, last Friday Oct. 4th.

I wasn't feeling very well so I decided that I'm going to take a sick day. This doesn't happen very often so I didn't feel too bad about missing work. Well while I was out I got 4 different text at different times of the day from my boss asking me things were in the warehouse and how to do some of the excel sheets that we need for reports. I laughed to myself while sitting behind my computer playing FFXIV as I answered every text with confidence.

I had the same feeling with my last employer, but he happened to move to another country and asked me if I want to go with him. I denied, because I don´t like leaving where I live at just yet.
Point is, the experience that I have with the machine I´m in charge off is rare. So I can always get a new job if I have to (this was what my internship in Japan was for, I considered moving there).

This sums up the ease of my replacement pretty well-
images

It costs my hospital $250,000 to train a new graduate RN. Don't think they will be getting rid of me any time soon.

Nah already been caught once. Now I'm just more careful lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I hate to say it but i always have job security, especially in tough times. People do desperate or stupid shit. Also there are some families out there that go to jail and live the druggie life as if it was as normal as you or I going to the grocery store.

It's a nice feeling knowing that you aren't easy to replace. Don't get too comfortable though because you never know when things can change at the drop of a hat.

My previous job I was super comfortable knowing I wasn't going to be forced out. Then my boss quit. 2 of my coworkers found new jobs. Then it was just me and 1 other guy. You'd expect the company to value the employees that stuck it out. They didn't. I got out of there and found an even better job.

This place isn't awesome and I'm constantly on the look out for something better.

Always keep your resume up to date and keep trying to make contacts. I always found it better to have some kind of in with someone which will help yo land that next job. You never know where you might meet that person.

Although no one at my work is irreplaceable, it is close to impossible to get fired. Mechanic in a union in (soon to be) the worlds biggest airline is only vulnerable to mass layoffs. I have only seen people get fired for 1. hitting another person and 2. failing a drug test. All kinds of other shit has gone down and people still have their jobs. Some of the failed drug test guys got their jobs back too.

Sadly, my job is easily replaceable. However, with this company i have only seen a few people get fired but that is because they were extremely consistent with messing up. If you mess up every once in a while you are fine. More people quit and go to a different job than they are fired and most end on really good footings with their bosses and still go and get lunch with them.

Now in my division i did have to fire an employee. I gave him a chance to prove himself and we hired him. Now we aren't a suit and tie company but you have to put some effort into looking nice when coming to work. This guy would come in wearing sweatpants and a shirt that looked like he stole it from Trevor (GTAV) and smoked one of those weird electronic cigarette bongs.

So after a few months of showing him the ropes, it was always a constant battle with him telling him what he was doing was wrong and that he needed to do it they way we do it per company standard. It was always a fight that his way was right and the companies way was wrong. His work was extremely slow. I got 8 reports to his 1. Thats about 3 reports a day for me so around 3 days for him. I brought in a new employee to help with the workload and he easily overcame this other guy within a few months. He showed no improvement to what we needed minimally. So we had to let him go.

Our IT gave came in and said my guy didn't work out huh? He was one of his D&D buds. I told him straight up that he wasn't where we needed him after half a year. He gave him the opportunity, it was his job to keep going forward.

Top Bottom