What's new

Wildstar Lua - Modding Wildstar

Sasquatauch

So since the game will allow user add-ons to be developed via the Lua programming language (and presumably with an actual IDE to develop them) are there any modders here in the guild?

I created a script back in vanilla WoW that was basically chose what healing spell to cast based upon the target's health and your current mana pool. This was obviously way before a lot of changes came down the pipe, but it was incredibly useful to the people I gave it too.

I'd like to venture down the add-on path again, but it's been a long time since I even looked at Lua and would really like to jump in with fellow modders to ramp back up. Who's interested?

Edit: left out the word "came" ... giggity.

I wish I had the slightest clue how to modify but I look forward to any thing you do

Ditto. I'm very excited to see what you come up with. Hopefully all the tools you need will be provided for you soon.

Have to be honest, addons kind of make me sad. I don't like having to install an addon to be competitive.

Sent from Droid Razr Maxx HD via Tapatalk

Have to be honest, addons kind of make me sad. I don't like having to install an addon to be competitive.

Sent from Droid Razr Maxx HD via Tapatalk

I agree in terms of being competitive, I disagree in terms of ease of use. But that to me should fall on devs not players. Specially when there is no easy way to upgrade your addons or they break or they f something up or they just make the screen cluttered.

I agree in terms of being competitive, I disagree in terms of ease of use. But that to me should fall on devs not players. Specially when there is no easy way to upgrade your addons or they break or they f something up or they just make the screen cluttered.

I thought you got addons in WoW to MAKE your screen cluttered? Did I miss something? I thought the goal was to raid while not being able to see anything and numbers flying everywhere.

I thought you got addons in WoW to MAKE your screen cluttered? Did I miss something? I thought the goal was to raid while not being able to see anything and numbers flying everywhere.

Haha, you're not pro if your screen doesn't look like this:

89359306_7fd19a3c3c.jpg

Hobbyist programmer here! Mostly Ruby and web based scripting languages; some knowledge with C++, Java, the headache I've come to known as ASM, and Python.

All I can say is that I'm sick of lua but can definitely jump in on this!

No I got addons to reduce clutter on my screen in WoW. Id rather enjoy the game and the visuals, since I use keybinds. I scaled down the UI, got rid of unneeded buttons etcetera.

I usually work with web-based stuff and do all my big stuff in C++ or C#, was waiting for them to reveal the language and API for a while. I'm kind of sad they went with LUA again (9 more years of this!?!? :'( ) but I guess it's familiar enough. Time to tinker!!!! Also I didn't hear anything yet but did they mention a web API as well? Would be cool to interact with data outside the game as well. Could also do some cool stuff with character integration with TAB community accounts :D

Sent from my TOASTER using Tapatalk 2

I usually work with web-based stuff and do all my big stuff in C++ or C#, was waiting for them to reveal the language and API for a while. I'm kind of sad they went with LUA again (9 more years of this!?!? :'( ) but I guess it's familiar enough. Time to tinker!!!! Also I didn't hear anything yet but did they mention a web API as well? Would be cool to interact with data outside the game as well. Could also do some cool stuff with character integration with TAB community accounts :D

Im not gonna lie...... I wish I understood this stuff. But i'll just nod and pretend I do! /nod

Its kinda like when I talk mechanics to my girlfriend!!! ... ... ... hehe.

I'm kind of sad they went with LUA again (9 more years of this!?!? :'( )

Bwahaha, this was my thought as well. I haven't used it much in the past few years, but I was into heavily modding Homeworld 2. I'm actually sort of forgetting WHY I dislike lua so much.. it may have had something to do with arrays.. *digs up some old scripts*

Me me me! Assuming, of course, I can eek out the time. My summer 2013 predictive crazy rating is very up in the air.

(Oh and if anyone has mobile dev experience, tell me so I can harass you/explore systems of ongoing favor bartering. <3)

In one of the interviews Gaffney said that Houston was the tool that would be used. It appears that it'll be an in-game IDE since it sounds like they're wanting to not only make it easier to mod, but possibly control the development of what can be modded as well. Here's a pretty good read as well... http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/slap-a-rocket-on-a-pig-wildstars-modding-and-pgc-community/

I am familiar with LUA, back from my WoW days, messing around with Tuk UI.

I'm sure I can take another look at it and see what I can come up with.

Top Bottom