What's new

Mechanical Keyboard Switch Differences

Simpwn

Praise the Sun!

I'm in the market for a new mechanical keyboard. It's my first one I'm looking to buy and I find the differences in switches/colors to be very overwhelming. This video helped break it down for me.

This is my plan for today. Heading to Microcenter. I'm choosing between brown and red right now. Whichever feels right.

Which did you decide on? I really like my red switch keyboard for the light, consistent, low noise key presses, but I was also considering brown for the next keyboard I get.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014W1Z4LC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Aircraft-Grade Aluminum, Cherry MX Brown, RGB LED

I went to the store and tried out a bunch of switch types. Red was too soft for me. I smash the keyboard as it is and the light actuation felt too brittle to me. Brown required that little extra push and felt right. I really liked Green, but that would've drove my wife nuts with the clicky sounds all day.

Can't wait to check out what I can do with the LEDs though. I'll take a post some pictures once I get it all formatted.

I'll have to try and find somewhere I can test a brown switch before I buy a new keyboard. The K70 RGB is also the one I plan on getting whenever I need an upgrade. The LED effects look pretty cool. I can imagine setting certain keys to be unique colors would make it much easier to hit specific keybinds without having to look directly at the keyboard.

I went to my local Micro Center and pretty much opened boxes and tried the keys. Best Buy might have something similar.

Keyboard arrived tonight. Set up was a breeze. I was surprised to see it require dual USB inputs. It throws off me using this keyboard with my KVM which is unfortunate because now I need 2 keyboards on my desk. But this thing is so damn pretty. I'll figure out a way to get it to work.

Brown switches were a good choice. They are a lot clicker than I had expected but much more quieter than the greens I was looking at. They require a good amount of pressure to activate but I'm a heavy typer and it works for me.

The best thing about this keyboard is the color profiles. I need to look into more but I have already downloaded some for Smite, Overwatch and Minecraft.
(Found here: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=139228) I'll need to tweak them to my preferences and then I'll post some more images. I've got the default out of the box (red/white) and then default RBG profile below.

Top Bottom