What's new

new phone plan / carrier

TIG

I like GOOOOOLLLLD!
I switched to Ting about 6 months ago because of price. I had T-Mobile and was paying about 90 bucks a month for unlimited talk and text and data. I never used hardly any of that amount.

Ting is a pay as you use service that charges you for only what you use and no more. they have tiers of talk, text and data. My normal bill is either 26 bucks a month if I say under 100 megs or 32 bucks a month if I go over but stay under 200 megs a month. It saves me about 65 bucks a month after I payed off the phone I bought. the downside is that I only can connect to the sprint network for phone and non-wifi use.

Well google has come up with a similar concept where you pay 20 bucks a month for unlimited talk and text and 10 bucks a month per gig of data. the coolest thing about them is that they use wifi and tmobile and sprint networks for their connections. they seamlessly switch between wifi, tmobile, and sprint depending on which is best at the location you are at. Also Wifi is not charged against your usage. The only downfall is that at this time it is early access so you have to have coverage in your area and you have to have a nexus 6 phone, or buy one. They sell them outright, or on a 2 year plan for about 20 bucks a month. Good news is that the phone works with other carriers if you want to switch later on you just have to pay the remainder of the the cost.

For me personally it is a better phone service with a new phone for the same price or less. I will sign up as soon as they send me an email back, in about a month or so, according to most users.

If you want to check it out go to fi.google.com

the coolest thing about them is that they use wifi and tmobile and sprint networks for their connections.

Pretty cool! I never liked that CDMA phones were built with SIM slots that could only be used while traveling internationally. I'm interested to see how the simultaneous dual voice and data connections will work since that's historically been a GSM only feature. Not to mention the fancy wifi calls for presumably free minutes.

Plus:

"
  • Which 120+ countries will I get international data without roaming fees?
    Please check our international rates for information on specific countries. If you travel to 120+ countries, data usage will cost the same $10 per GB as in the US. Note: data speeds are limited to 256kbps (3G)."
And refunds on unused data. That's better than rollovers...

Pretty cool! I never liked that CDMA phones were built with SIM slots that could only be used while traveling internationally. I'm interested to see how the simultaneous dual voice and data connections will work since that's historically been a GSM only feature. Not to mention the fancy wifi calls for presumably free minutes.

Plus:

"
  • Which 120+ countries will I get international data without roaming fees?
    Please check our international rates for information on specific countries. If you travel to 120+ countries, data usage will cost the same $10 per GB as in the US. Note: data speeds are limited to 256kbps (3G)."
And refunds on unused data. That's better than rollovers...

CDMA now allows voice and data

I looked into Ting a looooong time ago when Rux told me about it. I still have a better deal being grandfathered into unlimited data for $30 a month and overpaying for voice/text than switching.

I have a nexus 6 and love it, but I'm not switching my plan cause I have literally the fastest speed that was ever offered by Verizon and no one can get this speed from anyone, anywhere. I also have unlimited data, which is good when I decide to go ham on Verizon and use 67 gigs in a month (I've done this more than once). As tempting as dropping my bill is, I'm not gonna sacrifice all my mbps for a lower bill.

I have a nexus 6 and love it, but I'm not switching my plan cause I have literally the fastest speed that was ever offered by Verizon and no one can get this speed from anyone, anywhere. I also have unlimited data, which is good when I decide to go ham on Verizon and use 67 gigs in a month (I've done this more than once). As tempting as dropping my bill is, I'm not gonna sacrifice all my mbps for a lower bill.

67? Damn. I've gone over 20 on numerous occasions, but only really do about 13-15 per month.

67? Damn. I've gone over 20 on numerous occasions, but only really do about 13-15 per month.
Yeah my 4g speed is high enough to stream twitch in 1080p and I didn't have a lot going on that month so I watched streams all day at work in high def.

Top Bottom