What's new

OUYA - Android Based Console, Kickstarter Record

Stormcrown

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console?ref=live

Ouya's goal was $950,000.

At this time, they have raised almost $4,000,000, and they raised $1,000,000 in under 8 hours.

For $25 you can reserve your username with a fancy founder title next to it. I might just do that, so on the chance this console makes it big, I will be super 1337.

The funding is "Complete" on August 9th!

This console ALREADY has minecraft. All game genre's. Games from major game publishers, and indie's too.

It already has twitch.tv, so you can watch league of legends, starcraft, etc on your big screen.

They said it's "Open for hackers who want to tweak the box" - Hopefully that won't mean rampant aimbots and stuff for FPS's. This just means tweaking the operating system and overclocking, right? I'd look forward to seeing emulators and playing some Pokemon Yellow on my 40" HDTV.

Their goal (as stated) is to disrupt and establish industry. Something I'd love to see in the console market. As an avid PC gamer, I would buy this in a second. If I have $99 before August 9th, I will probably reserve my copy.

Prominent "gaming" figures like fourzerotwo (Former CoD community leader) says "A new console, for $99, that is designed around a free-to-play open source model. I support everything about @playouya"

Anyone else going to buy this thing? Looks like the estimated ship date is March, 2013.

They increased the $99 backer to 80,000 consoles. Last time we looked at it it was only 5,000. lol

Yeah. I saw a stat saying the 360 sold 300k units its first week...and ouya sold 20k already..to people who never heard of it
Msoft spent billions.

The specs seem weak...but good enough. Let me plug a hard drive into it and I'm happy. My main concern is hacking on multiplayer games...and if we will see games like bastion/etc

Just found this article. Makes a fairly good counter argument highlighting the cruel reality of "Kickstarter" design projects.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407046,00.asp

Basically saying the real challenge here isn't selling it, it's manufacturing it and keeping the $100 price tag.

After thinking about it, I'm a bit suspicious how a controller that looks that good (And has a touch screen like the Wii) is under $50.

Just found this article. Makes a fairly good counter argument highlighting the cruel reality of "Kickstarter" design projects.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407046,00.asp

Basically saying the real challenge here isn't selling it, it's manufacturing it and keeping the $100 price tag.

After thinking about it, I'm a bit suspicious how a controller that looks that good (And has a touch screen like the Wii) is under $50.

I thought the EXACT same thing. No one is gonna make money on this.

IMO as long as they break even and establish a market presence, it'll be easier for them to develop more things for the future content/consoles/etc. Beside, I'm all for a relatively cheap and hackable console. :D

Top Bottom