What's new

Paladins: New FPS from HiRez coming 2016

Simpwn

Praise the Sun!
HiRez has announced their latest gaming endeavor (which DryBear has mentioned he is moving to) called Paladins. Paladins is going to be a sci-fi based FPS objective based game (think TF2). Their niche is going to be capitalizing on skillshots by making characters with the ability to dodge fire. There will be base stock characters, including mounts (I'm assuming large maps), and then a card system which will allow players to customize the stock character abilities.

Admin edit:

Check out the link below for some gamplay vids.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/03/paladins-how-smite-creators-new-game-channels-team-fortress-2

Holy ear destroying sound design batman.
And wow... do these companies just copy each other cause they can now? lol

Also Simpwn [faq=16][/faq]
I say this cause it was front page worthy.

Lol sadly I can't see this beating overwatch. With the level of blizz polish if there's one single thing wrong with this game Reddit will set it aflame.

It seems like they really are just riding the coattails of Blizzard and Overwatch. I don't think this makes it to market before Overwatch which would be the only benefit for them. With classic staples like TF2 already established and Overwatch hitting hopefully this year I don't see what the big draw for this will be.

Just for the sake of argument, in the Tell Me About Smite thread I asked how Smite has been able to hold it's own against the more established MOBAs, and the response was that it was different enough to stand alone.

If we have any faith in Hi-Rez, couldn't we imagine that Paladins would follow suit?

If we have any faith in Hi-Rez, couldn't we imagine that Paladins would follow suit?

I had faith in Smite, because it was indeed different. That said, their track record isn't exactly in high esteem for FPS's. They really let the ball drop with Tribes Ascend and just said "Fuck it, we're done" and focused entirely on Smite. I have a hunch that something similar may occur with Paladin, only because I don't think Hi-Rez doesn't fully understand what it means to manage two projects and maintain.

But hey, we'll see. Prove me wrong Hi-Rez.

With smite they had an altogether new concept. 3rd person view, WASD controls, all skill shots. No other MOBA was like that on the market. I don't think rehashing something that's already being rehashed will work to their advantage this time unless they can come up with a similarly new concept... I don't think this is possible in a FPS or even TPS because they are all forced to have the same core mechanics: move, jump/dodge/duck/dip/dive/dodge, and shoot. You can add on any number of special abilities or change the mechanics of certain guns (like halo) but when it boils down to it, its all the same game, which is why Fatality can hop to every shooter and still be the best at what he does.

We're making you play Overwatch with us. You said "Ew MOBA" with HotS and look at you now!
MOBAs aren't too much of a stretch for me because of my experience with LoL, but I know for sure FPS just isn't my thang.

But who knows, maybe Blizzard will work its magic and make it playable even for someone like me.

For the other side of the fence - Maybe this will kick blizzard in the butt a little in order to ensure polish and a more timely delivery.

Top Bottom