What's new

GW2 [Podcast #1] "Guild Wars 2 for New Players"

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member

The members of http://alttabme.com came together for our first podcast to talk about the aspects of the game that a person unfamiliar with Guild Wars 2 may ask as well as a new player in general.

This podcast will be a weekly event. Please check the forums Events section for updates on what days.

The questions answered here are some of the top questions we get during our live streams at http://alttabme.com/live

If you wish to submit questions for next weeks podcast please feel free to post here!

Timecodes of highlights

00:3:00- Why should you play GW2
00:5:04- Sidekick System
00:9:29- Immersion, Exploration and the payoff
00:10:56- Types of "quests"
00:15:08- Difference between Dynamic Events and Heart Areas
00:16:45- Dynamic Event specifics/Branching/failing and still winning!
00:19:18- Not rushing to 80/freedom to choose how you play through the world
00:22:00- Travelling/Waypoint System
00:25:30- Levels of participation and rewards from events
00:28:00- Learning Curve/lack of trinity
00:33:00-00:38:00- class choice based on style and preference not group necessity
00:38:40- Beauty/Scale of the game world
00:43:40-Graphics and detail of the world
00:46:45- Day/Night Cycle Lengths
00:51:30- How important is gear?
00:55:00-01:00:00 Why skilled play and learning your class matters/Combat
01:00:47-Targeting and AoE casting/Dodging
01:02:15-Mobility in Combat
01:03:50-Weapon Swapping/skills linked to weaponry
01:08:02-Melee to ranged flexibility of classes with weapon swapping
01:10:04-Using skills for survivability
01:12:25-Fluidity, hectic nature of combat
01:15:45-Resurrecting players from downed state
01:20:20-Importance of approaching GW2 with an open mind, and learning to adapt
01:22:04-Discussing a more involved tutorial
01:25:50-Opening the Stream to questions from chat
01:27:04-Question #1 about weapon skills.
01:29:30-Question #2 about class balance.
01:25:40-Question #3 about end game.
01:38:13-Question #4 about spending Karma points on gear.
01:39:41-Explanation of Transmutation process of gear.
01:46:52-Question #5 about in-game pets.
01:48:53-Question #6 about crafting.
01:54:48-Question #7 about microtransactions.
01:59:40-Question #8 about sidekicking.
01:59:50-Question #9 about transitioning from WoW to GW2.

Hey guys, great start to what looks like a promising podcast. I would suggest making the box size bigger - there is a lot of waster place all around, would be much better if you take up a majority of the screen space with the actual video feed instead of the writing/title and background picture. Also a couple things to look out for is your use of terminology and the research you're doing on the topics would really improve the podcast and make it more accurate - things like calling dynamic events random (they are not random - they are scripted) and small stuff like that, I would just be a bit more cautious as it can give people the wrong impression before they go into the game and figure out what exactly it is. Otherwise great podcast - I'm watching the second half now (will update this thread with more feedback, hopefully not stepping on any toes - all in good intent).

Oh one thing I would like to ask is whether you're open to the idea of guest speakers participating on your shows. I've seen this done for other podcasts to great success and thing it would be pretty cool (I'm sure most, myself included, would love to take part and help). Just a thought that would get the community more involved.

Hey guys, great start to what looks like a promising podcast. I would suggest making the box size bigger - there is a lot of waster place all around, would be much better if you take up a majority of the screen space with the actual video feed instead of the writing/title and background picture. Also a couple things to look out for is your use of terminology and the research you're doing on the topics would really improve the podcast and make it more accurate - things like calling dynamic events random (they are not random - they are scripted) and small stuff like that, I would just be a bit more cautious as it can give people the wrong impression before they go into the game and figure out what exactly it is. Otherwise great podcast - I'm watching the second half now (will update this thread with more feedback, hopefully not stepping on any toes - all in good intent).

Oh one thing I would like to ask is whether you're open to the idea of guest speakers participating on your shows. I've seen this done for other podcasts to great success and thing it would be pretty cool (I'm sure most, myself included, would love to take part and help). Just a thought that would get the community more involved.

No one is stepping on any toes here! Feedback is always welcome, Falkner. This is a first time thing for all of us so we are always looking to improve and streamline! Thanks for your input and the guest speaker is a good idea and a possibility in the future.

Not that this is a good excuse but that was our first time using video chat with more than 2 people and Skype is suck. Already looking into new programs for the future so we are not little specs. The overlay was made after the fact so it didn't look as empty.

Falkner we are definitely looking into guest appearances. I have already spoken to a few Guild Wars 2 actives already, such as Kaeyi (fuck if I can ever spell her name right).

What I ask of you is what would you contribute if we brought you on for a podcast since you have expressed interest?

Not that this is a good excuse but that was our first time using video chat with more than 2 people and Skype is suck. Already looking into new programs for the future so we are not little specs. The overlay was made after the fact so it didn't look as empty.

Falkner we are definitely looking into guest appearances. I have already spoken to a few Guild Wars 2 actives already, such as Kaeyi (fuck if I can ever spell her name right).

What I ask of you is what would you contribute if we brought you on for a podcast since you have expressed interest?

I guess for the most part it would be a good level of general knowledge of the game in the sense that I've participated in pretty much all the different aspects of the game (I chose to do everything instead of specializing in one aspect) - I don't know if this is good or bad for podcasting but it is what it is at this point. In addition I have followed the game - a lot - so I would be able to at least bring in that knowledge so as to be a creditable member of the panel and not make you guys look bad for bringing on someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. LOL :p

P.S. I played a little of Ele, Necro, Warrior and Mesmer - but I was predominantly a Guardian (I think you guys mainly played other classes right?) so that's something that might be worth going into if we talk about builds/professions especially if we're discussing PvP/WvW

Yeah we will have to get you to play with us so we can get to know you a little better. I get to know people well with the random banter we do during play time haha.

This podcast was def aimed more towards complete newbs and those on the fence. So while "facts" are important *cough Gyoin* we definitely prioritize enthusiasm over it :) Get what I mean?

Dynamic events are scripted, yes, but many feel as though they are random due to the scale of time before they start. Unless you log the time of when every event is finished, every event is started, and time it takes for completion it can be somewhat random for many of the events as many variables are in play. It's not a "At 1PM this event starts. At 1:15 this event starts. etc", but more of a range of times since last completion.

There are many DE's that require some form of start-up procedure, while others happen on their own. I generalized as random, because someone who is playing for the first time may see something, then try to do it again and it's not there. Instead of covering the basis that "some are timed, some take a pre-req, some need a fail, some need a pass", I generalized as random because it didn't seem necessary to go into specifics when giving a general "Things may happen around you that you weren't expecting."

TL;DR : Heart quests are static and you can assume will always be there. DE's are not, and can not assume it is occurring or able to be started.

Yeah we will have to get you to play with us so we can get to know you a little better. I get to know people well with the random banter we do during play time haha.

This podcast was def aimed more towards complete newbs and those on the fence. So while "facts" are important *cough Gyoin* we definitely prioritize enthusiasm over it :) Get what I mean?

Ya definitely - and it was quite entertaining, definitely good for what it was meant to be. And ya the idea of guests was the main thing - the part with me as a participant was for the future (I gotta get into the guild first right? LOL). Anyway just realized another thing, Tales of Tyria and Guildcast had the first of many (girls for one (Kaeyi yes, ahem*, and then had Aku and Ed/Thorgrim so different nationalities) - you guys could have the first brown guy! LOL :D

Oh and hey what Gyoin said about random makes sense (I wasn't trying to pick on you, just what I was listening to at the time of posting, blah...) but it's something that's been brought up alot and many people seem to get the wrong impression about the dynamic events - thinking that they are random and just occur where as it's actually either triggered (by time, NPCs or player interaction with environments) or directly as a result of the phase things are at (either the event itself or other events near by).

P.S. do all guys like the jiggle feature? I mean I rolled a Male Charr but all my Human and Norn characters with hot girls.......

Oh and hey what Gyoin said about random makes sense (I wasn't trying to pick on you, just what I was listening to at the time of posting, blah...) but it's something that's been brought up alot and many people seem to get the wrong impression about the dynamic events - thinking that they are random and just occur where as it's actually either triggered (by time, NPCs or player interaction with environments) or directly as a result of the phase things are at (either the event itself or other events near by).

P.S. do all guys like the jiggle feature? I mean I rolled a Male Charr but all my Human and Norn characters with hot girls.......

It's alright, I can take criticism. I just reserve the right to defend my interpretation and simplified explanations :p

And yes. All guys like the jiggle feature.

Great first podcast!

Having played at every opportunity provided so far (and sharing the same opinion as yourselves on almost everything), I found myself simply listening for the entertainment! It certainly helped me through my work day!

Please keep these up!

Ad

Hey guys, great podcast, will try to catch it live tomorrow. Few questions for you:

One question that I get mixed opinions on is the importance of racial abilities. What's your take on how important it is to match racial abilities with professions? I know that they won't be relevant in sPvP, but as I understand it they will in WvWvW. I don't like to min-max to the nth degree and I like to make odd combos just for the amusement factor, but I would like to know if it's going to be a significant issue.

Referencing the "guest speaker" suggestion above, it would also be nice to get the opinion of someone who played the original GW games as they have experience with how Anet treats their gamers.

When the game goes live, where would I look to see what server your guild will be based out of? I don't plan on joining a guild till I know whether or not I'm going to stick around, but I'll probably choose one on my home server.

Lastly, are there any restrictions on which professions each race can be? I assume no, but I haven't seen anything to say one way or the other.

Thanks, looking forward to next episode!

There are no restrictions - all races can be all professions. The racial skills will add flavor and fill niches in WvW but there is nothing present that is OP IMO.

Racial Elites are useful but at least in the Engineer's case, the profession racials are better. As for server, we aren't really publicizing that at the moment for a few reasons.

Top Bottom