What's new

GW2 [Podcast #16] Guild Wars 2 "How to make MONEY!" Part 2

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member

The members of http://alttabme.com came together during this weekly podcast to talk about "How to make MONEY Part 2!"
The questions answered here are some of the top questions we get during our live streams at http://alttabme.com/live and these forums!
We are live Mondays @ 5:15 EST : http://alttabme.com/live
If you wish to submit questions for next weeks podcast for please feel free to post on the forums.
Summary:
- A small addendum to the idea of opportunity cost that I missedis the time spent farming going to make you the same amount of gold as the same time spent on the tp (or whatever you do to make gold) and how to balance that with the things you want to do in game.- clarification on why to use crude salvage kits/mystic salvage kits/black lion salvage kits​
just found a site that did 1500 tests each on cloth salvage items of top tier. He used crude, basic, fine, and mystic. Here are his findings.​
-Chance to get a higher quality item means higher tier when talking about salvage items.​
So, supposing that gossamer has a base 11% chance of being salvaged from a rag, the chance of getting gossamer with each kit is:​
Crude: 11% * 1.00 = 11.00%
Basic: 11% * 1.10 = 12.10%
Fine: 11% * 1.15 = 12.65%
Journeyman: 11% * 1.20 = 13.20%
Master: 11% * 1.25 = 13.75%
General principals of making gold in game
- learning what players want for each class​
Rangers and thieves like condition damage and crit, Warriors and guardians come to find out they need either more toughness, vitality, or healing, flavor of the month build will buy items to compliment the build.​
- patience and long term strategies​
Mystic coins, buy during the late night and sell during the day, buy during the middle of the week and sell during the weekend. Stockpile when you see a market getting ready to explode​
- short term strategies and knowing when to pull the trigger​
If there is a market that is unbalanced, say a 30 or 40% difference between buy orders and buy price then act fast. Only allow yourself to use a set % of your funds for short term buys 20% is good.​
- how much time you need to spend to be profitable​
Can be lots, can be few depending on your strategy. Tp goes with you everywhere so sell while doing other things, and check to see if your stuff sold before making the trip to the tp person. Flip side is camping next to the tp to flip items or cancel and repost.​
General principals of saving gold
- buying level 78 rare gear instead of level 80 rare gear​
A full set of 80 rare gear can cost around 10 to 15 gold. For a 3%ish loss in stats you can get lvl 78 rare gear set for about 2 to 3 gold. And if you are getting a magic find set to farm in they have the same amount of magic find as the level 80 set.​
- getting exotic gear from the things you like instead of the trading post​
Run your dungeons if you like that, do events if you like that, farm mats or mobs if you like that, play the tp if you like that. You can get gear how you want and don't have to get gold, but use these ideas to make whatever you are doing the most efficient.​
Playing the Trading Post
- buying mats and combining them to sell at a second level profit​
logs to planks, mats to inscriptions, ore to ingot​
- where is the market focused, and where is it headed next. Following the player wave​
most players are getting to 80 now so the big wave is there, middle of the road items will dry up some and t1 items will still be plentiful because of alts. Crafters still need to level.​
- Taking advantage of speculators.​
Get in early on a spike (pumpkins) or manufacture one yourself. This economy is ripe for manipulation​
Gem store
- buying gems for cash and turning them into gold​
good way to turn money into gold, only safe legal way. Conversion is losing money, but it works.​
- buying dyes and minis for gems and selling them on the tp​
convert gems to gold price then see if the dye pack can average out to the same price​
- buying gold from illegal gold sellers vs the gem store. pros/cons and the dangers​
anet is watching them and who they sell to, so you will be on their radar. Also prices on the gem store is cheaper than goldsellers.​
Crafting for profit or lack thereof
- any profitable recipes?​
Bloodsaw, inscriptions, highest level tier 6 gear. Spidy. Crafting items.​
- efficient use of leveling crafting to not go broke​
Inscriptions are selling for a profit right now. When making discoveries you don't have to make every type, just make the ones whose mats are cheapest. Check the tp for pricing of finished mat to decide if you want to salvage, vendor or sell​
- selling to crafters who are leveling​
Inscriptions, planks, ingots, etc can sell for more than the mats costs. 1C profit at a full stack of 250 items is 2s50c in profit.​
Farming
- is farming worth it​
in this game more so than other games. With small profits on the tp, finding mobs that drop items worth more than 1s is good. Also orr farming of de's throws tons of mobs at you for loot. Orr also has orichalcum and ancient log trees.​
- what type of things should you farm? armor/weapons, fine crafting materials, loot bags​
high level and low level everything sells well now so farm there, middle levels are a bust.​
- resource gathering: ore, wood, food harvesting? What areas are better?​
High and low areas again.​
- magic find, how it works and when to get it​
forget it below 70. after 70 get as much as you can. Pirate, scavanger, traveler, explorer. It increases your chance to get a better item. If a green has a 10% chance to drop and yellow a 5%, then 100% mf will make it 20 and 10 respectivly.​
- food buffs and gem store boosters worth it?​
Yes always eat food if you can. Specific boosters from the blc or gem store are super powerful if you will utilize them. Farm mobs with karma and xp boosts. Read the boosts cause they sometimes say mob drops​
- where to farm​
online maps, dungeons, gathering, rare crafting mat drops, loot bags​
- AOE builds​
why you need them and what each class has​
- Play in a group​
helps you find events, get more guild influence, have more fun, some say loot drops are better in groups​
- have a plan before you go​
know what you want to farm for, know if it will help you do other things like hearts. Bring empty bags and gathering tools/salvage kits. Repair first. Bring your magic find gear and put the rest in the bank.​
- diminishing returns and the anti bot code​
after 30 mins of killing the same type of mob you start to get less loot for each mob killed. Same with karma. To clear the code go kill some other type of mob usually in another zone to reset the code. Latest patch has reduced the speed of the DR and set a higher bottom for karma. Used to be 9 now its 141 per DE.​
- Dungeon speed clearing code​
if you clear the same wing twice or more in 1hr you will get less badges and loot from the end bosses​
- Combating bots​
dr code, speed clearing, putting all badges on the last boss only, reduced karma on dr​
- problems with anti botting stance​
hurts players more than bots. Anet says they want you to play the way you want, but not if you like farming or grinding. Code is buggy and hurts legit players for longer than intended. Hurts players who can do events quickly (especially in orr) even if they don't farm the same 2 events over and over.​
- Positives for anti botting code​
it does hurt the botters and take away the rewards they are botting for, karma and exp. Anet is hands on even if they arent acting fast enough for players to see change.​
- Anet's hands on approach​
shutting down sales instead of being greedy just so it wont impact players. Hands on for the economy with mystic chests, hands on with anti botting and anti farming to funnel players into an experience they think will be better than grinding. Large involvement with facebook and twitter and forums, answering people pretty directly. Banning exploiters and shaming whiners who are misrepresenting themselves.​
Along with all that to chew on I have found some interesting things this week in the gw2 news front.
- Legendaries now being made after the oct 1 patch fixing thingsprecursor epics prices going through the roof, and same with high level rares and epics​
- Oct 1 patch taking away the karma items on weaponsmith trainers and where to get the stuff now for karma if you want.usually not worth it because the cost to port to the vendors is almost as high as the coin cost of the item in LA​
- gw2spidy.com now has crafting profits and shopping lists to craft items​
- tpcalc.com now gets prices if you put in the item name​
- prices on the tp are not accurate unless you click on the item.speculation that this is a side effect of trying to fix the last in first out bug. This also makes pricing sites like gw2spidy unreliable. Only use them as an indicator of where to do your research for profitable items​
- magic find (or maybe just boosters) are effecting the mystic forge. Tests done with runes and sigils are returning either an 11% higer rarity or a 41% higher rarity.​
Specific items that are making money right now
- farming for rare crafting matsgold blog sites are showing good areas and maps​
- Corrupted weapons, recipes come from vendor in frostgorge sound after the claw of jormag event.​
- Magic find gear​
- inscriptions​
- loot bags, especially when turning the items into inscriptions when possible​
- other 2nd level crafting mats like helmet lining and sword hilts​
- orange unidentified dyes (medium risk)​
- crafted runes and sigils that are put in the forge (high risk)​
Q/A
Feel free to post any questions you may have here and we will do our best to answer you! :)
Links
Gathering
-gathering node map
- tier6 gatherning node maps of all 3 orr zones plus frostgorge sound
- gathering farm maps
Botting
- Anet addresses concerns with the anti-botting code hitting normal players
Misc
- A quick google docs reference I built to see the price after 15% TP cuts from 1c to 5s20c
- speculation on things that will be used or put in game only for Halloween.
Gather pumpkins now. Price spike from speculation http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/12538
fall dye pack, no new dyes, just fall colors you can buy for gems (existing colors)
-Math on salvage kits
- Mystic forge and magic find (discussion starts at the bottom of page 11 and goes for a few pages)
forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506860&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11
Karma vendor lists

Idea: I'd like to volunteer That1Guy (j/k, but if he's up to it and Triage likes the idea) to do a prerecorded 2-5 minute segment something along the lines of "This week in How to make money" where he could put some highlights of things he learned that week, since he seems to enjoy pouring over the financials of gw2. I think he could easily fill out the short time period without having to do much more than he already reads for his personal benefit. Perhaps he could break it up into 1 long term thing that changed, 1 short term thing that's been working, 1 old thing they patched out, 1 resource of the week, ect. Then have it included in the regular podcast as a short segment.

Anyone else think they'd like that? I would.

I could easily put together something like that. The items that deal with what was selling or not, patched etc, would work good, but any buy it now suggestions I give would be outdated 5 minutes later. I could put up some things I think would be good to get and hold on to.

I'll look into what it would take and see if its feasible. Any future podcasts I would be on will probably have something like this as a 5 min segment or so.

Hi guys this is the first time I'm posting on this forum. Any way I would very much like to know is it possible to
Have someone act like a stock broker in the game? Some one you could send like a minimum amount of gold like 25 gold to that person and have him/her manage it for you? I'm kinda new to the game and have a very bad understanding of the markets ups and downs although I've been watching all of you videos on YouTube and scanning the forums for intel. I understand some of it but this kind of math just fries my brain.

I would just like to know is it possible?

I'm sure its possible if you can find a trustworthy person who is also interested in this stuff to the point of being on top of markets.

If you are asking if I would do it, I'm afraid not. I play around and waste too much gold to get hard numbers to feel like I would be doing anyone a service by investing for them. Just play around with what you learned and focus on the things you use ingame. Keep an eye on those markets and you will start to see opportunities that you can then branch out from and apply to other markets.

Thanks for the tip on how to make money guys.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've been looking around at ways to make money and I found a time consuming way to make money with crafting that you guys will be the 1st I've shared it with.
So here it is:

You will need Artificer lvl 300 for this.
Place an order on the trading post for 250 Piles of Incandescent dust for 23 copper.
23*250 = 5750 (57 silver 50 copper)
After you get your Incandescent dust go to an Artificing Station and make Quality Tuning Crystals*
You make 5 Quality Tuning Crystals per 6 Incandescent dust.
With each Tuning Crystal selling for 28 copper (to a vendor) and a stack of 250 Quality Tuning Crystals selling for 70 silver.
Each stack of 250 Incandescent dust makes 41 Tuning Crystals (with some dust left over)
(41*5)*28 = 5740 (57 silver 40 copper) However you still have some dust leftover.

The only way to make a profit with this method is to buy more than 250 Incandescent dust.
If you buy 750 Piles of Incandescent dust (because it is divisible by 6 means you will have no dust left over) you will make a few silver, I have been able to make about 1 gold per hour with this.
23*750 = 17250 (1 gold 72 silver 50 copper)
Turn the dust into Tuning Crystals
(125*5)*28 = 17500 (1 gold 75 silver)
And there is your profit of 2 silver 50 copper with 0 dust leftover, just make sure you sell to a vendor.

(If you haven't discovered them just go to the discover tab and click on the Piles of Incandescent dust.)

Top Bottom