What's new

Rate That Anime

sweetloaf

Okay, I've never been a huge fan of anime but out of boredom and running out of things on netflix I'll bite and see if I can't find out what the fuss is for. Lemme know if these are good to watch, I have pretty exacting standards when it comes to television and as far as I can tell most anime falls FAR and away outside of those standards.

Examples of television I enjoy:
  • Vikings
  • Hell on Wheels
  • Hatfields & McCoys
  • It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia
  • Burn Notice
  • Spaced
Examples of television I do not enjoy:
  • Breaking Bad
  • Mad Men
  • The Office post Michael
  • Arrested Development
  • Battlestar Galactica
That's the stuff I watch and avoid, as far as anime I have seen I will say this:
  • Afro Samurai 8/10
  • Samurai Champloo 8.5-9/10
  • Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin 9/10
I like Samurai-themed stuff. I do not like bouncy cartoon breasts and 15 upskirt shots every ten seconds (looking at you Girls Bravo!), or stuff like Bleach, Inuyasha etc.
So, I picked out a few from title/description only and I want to know if you guys have seen them/liked them and whether or not you think i'd like them, too. Here they are:
  • Samurai 7
  • Mushi-Shi
  • Jyu-Oh-Sei: Planet of the Beast King
  • Shigurui: Death Frenzy (This one looks the most promising and I'll probably watch it anyway.. DEATH FRENZY)
Thanks in advance :)

I know nothing of these animes you listed sadly. But here's a couple things to keep an eye on as well.

Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Trigun

Those are the first things I thought of with reference to kenshin and afro-samurai, but they are all "Space Cowboy" than Samurai, but fit into the time frame of when Kenshin was released. All of these aired during that same timeslot on adult swim / toonami and appeal to the same audiences.

These are things that might interest you as well.

Evangelion
Sword Art Online

I know nothing of these animes you listed sadly. But here's a couple things to keep an eye on as well.

Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Trigun

Those are the first things I thought of with reference to kenshin and afro-samurai, but they are all "Space Cowboy" than Samurai, but fit into the time frame of when Kenshin was released. All of these aired during that same timeslot on adult swim / toonami and appeal to the same audiences.

These are things that might interest you as well.

Evangelion
Sword Art Online

I remember catching episodes of Cowboy Bebop late at night, never payed much attention to it though. I did like the art/style of that show, from what I saw at least. Trigun is another one, I tried watching it on netflix but it's the dubbed english version and I can't stand Vash's voice lol, maybe I'll procure it in it's original format.

Outlaw Star I've not heard of, but looks interesting. Evangelion is the giant robot show, similar to Gundam? I watched quite a bit of that show but I don't recall any of the details outside of that one girl being a clone or alien or something.

Reading up on Sword Art Online, seems apt as an giant MMO lmao. I'll give that a watch.

Our of all of those, go SAO first. It's the most recent one and is in current anime standards. And is just amazing to think about even after the fact. It makes you wish you are there, but not.

Evangelion isn't the same as Gundam. It's hard to compare the two actually other than "giant robots".

And yeah, the other three will be right up your alley I think. Watching them subbed in their original voice casting and uncensored is best. BY FAR. For about 99% of anime I refuse to watch it dubbed. There are a few gems tho.

Our of all of those, go SAO first. It's the most recent one and is in current anime standards. And is just amazing to think about even after the fact. It makes you wish you are there, but not.

Evangelion isn't the same as Gundam. It's hard to compare the two actually other than "giant robots".

And yeah, the other three will be right up your alley I think. Watching them subbed in their original voice casting and uncensored is best. BY FAR. For about 99% of anime I refuse to watch it dubbed. There are a few gems tho.

Yeah, I just remember robots fighting other giant robots and just thought of Gundam. Is SAO on that crunchyroll site?

I saw a few episodes of Samurai 7 a while ago and it was pretty decent! I don't remember if it had a lot of fan-service (I agree with you on that, btw, I hate it) but if it did the story/action made up for it.

I saw a few episodes of Samurai 7 a while ago and it was pretty decent! I don't remember if it had a lot of fan-service (I agree with you on that, btw, I hate it) but if it did the story/action made up for it.

Yeah, Samurai 7 seems like it has a decent plot, I was a bit skeptical due to a few of the thumbnails regarding fanservice, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there..
I like fan service >_>

34ypu0g.gif

You could always try a period anime like samurai deeper kyo. Also.... why the hell was ruroni kenshin (aka samurai x) not I'm your list? If you haven't seen it watch it immediately.

Oh. It its. Sorry I just woke up.

Oh, I forgot. Blade of the immortal. Basilisk... though its more about ninja.

Top Bottom