What's new

Steam Sales are Dumb....

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
That's right, I said it.

I think Steam Sales are DUMB.

Why? Easy really... what the fuck do I care that a game that came out 5 bagillion light years ago is now 10 dollars instead of 40? If I wanted to play the game, I probably already bought it back then, and if I didn't the game is probably so fucking old that it looks stupid and will just collect virtual dust in my, what seems to be for people who go crazy on the Steam Sales, virtual trophies cases. An achievement system of sorts? So you never played the game but if your buddy searches you on steam he thinks he have because it says he owns the game...

As fast as new games come out, where does ANYONE think they will have time to play 50 "new games" from 1990 as well?

Especially my geeky friends who are first adopters of EVERYTHING, I don't get the appeal.

Maybe the idea that it says "sale" is enough for some people...

Personally if I really want that game, I will wait till it is 100% free on an emulator for PCs in 2030.

OMG OMG BIOSHOCK, the game I already beat and ran through 6 times is ON SALE?!?! Fuck I need to buy it AGAIN... What!?!?

Anyway, maybe some of you wasting your money or constantly saying "OMG I AM GONNA GO BROKE BECAUSE OF STEAM SALES" can explain the appeal. But I still maintain that you are all idiots :)

Jacked this comic from Gyoin in Chat:

027b2b0de6c7a42c5e6e4e35386b4a94.jpg

This gives people the chance to buy games that they wouldn't normally buy, because they become a lower investment, so lower "risk" of a bad purchase.

Bastion for instance. $2.24. Cheapest price I've seen for it. Maybe it was overlooked by some, and this would be a good opportunity. Not only does this open the door as a gamer to a game, but it also keeps them on the eyes for a developer that maybe they didn't know previously. This also gives developers more of an audience for their future games, creating an even more stimulating gaming economy.

Don't be selfish. It's not all about you. Think of the little people Tristan :)

That's right, I said it.

I think Steam Sales are DUMB.

Your face is dumb! So.. Nyeah!

really though, I try not to early adopt on games outside of MMOs. So, sales like this are awesome for me in order to check out games I never picked up.

Not quite the same as SSS, but here's a good article I'd recommend reading in response to my first post.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/11/playstation-plus-massively-inflated-my-audience-says-thomas-w/

PlayStation Plus 'massively inflated' my audience, says Thomas Was Alone creator

by Sinan Kubba on Jul 11th 2013 8:45AM
Thomas Was Alone "sold really well" on Vita and PS3 since its April launch according to creator Mike Bithell, and in particular through PlayStation Plus where uptake has been "ridiculous" and "amazing." Bithell told Joystiq Thomas Was Alone, or "the rectangle game" as he self-mockingly called it, found its way into more hands through Plus than any other "platform" up to that point - the indie platformer launched on PC last summer before coming to Steam later in the year.

"And that's exciting," Bithell told us, "Because that's a whole bunch of cool players who are really into their games - that's why they have PS Plus - who know who the hell I am now."

"As someone who's making the difficult second album," Bithell added, "I need as many people onside, and knowing what Thomas Was Alone is, and maybe even knowing who I am, so it means something when the trailer comes out and it says 'From the creator of Thomas Was Alone.' And that's what PS Plus was awesome for. It just massively inflated my audience beyond what a normal esoteric indie platformer would have, which is great."

Bithell said he plans to unveil 'Project 2,' that difficult second album, in the coming months. He was enthusiastic, however, to reflect on Thomas Was Alone, which started life as the story-less product of a 24-hour jam, and was so called because one of Bithell's friends joked he should give it an "emo" title so people would read meaning into it that wasn't there. Nearly three years later, Thomas Was Alone took four stars in our review, which lauded the story for making us care about rectangles.

Bithell acknowledged the effort he put in to the writing, including researching everything from Bauhausian graphic design to modernist values in American architecture, but was quick to put the story's genesis down to "blind luck" and feedback from early build players, who started adding their own stories and personalities to the game's shapely cast.

"When it came to actually making the game," he added, "I knew the gameplay worked and I wanted to keep that. I knew that people were attributing [personalities to] characters based on their traits, so I knew I needed to do that with whatever story I told."

Bithell then tried to add more visual features to the cast, including everything from rectangular space suits to almost South Park-like designs: "Every time I added faces or arms or legs, it lost that purity of the image. I kept pulling it back, and realized that actually I'd hit upon something by accident that was really meaningful, and just went with it."

While we can't help now but imagine a Thomas Was Alone/South Park crossover, we suspect Bithell probably made the right choice when all's said and done. Probably...

you just don't buy EVERYTHING but lemme give you an example: personally I'm very tight on cash ALL THE FUKIN' TIME for you know.. reasons...
so I can't just buy games left and right all the time right?? well a few weeks ago you guys were hitting Borderlands 2 really hard and it looked VERY FUN but I just couldn't afford it (more like I can't justify buying it at full price) but if alluvasudden it pops on SSS at say %75 then I could jump on it and not feel as bad for spending on something I shouldn't ... sort of...

Some other games go for reaaaaaally cheap but I never played cos MMOS suck the life outta you and by the time they came out I was being enamoured either by WOW or FF11, a perfect example is Bioshock 1 and 2, played it briefly on a ""not so legal way"" back in the days and thought it was brilliant... can I justify paying $20 for them? fuck no!, $4? hmmm... ok maybe. and so on..

I think the excitement over it is the fact that for a straight 11 days you are going to see some great sale prices on games that you might have wanted to play, but couldn't justify spending some cash on a game you know little about. I know for the winter sale I picked up games like Super Meat Boy (under $3), Saints Row 3 (I think around $7), and GTA Vice City (under $4).

SMB is a game I heard great things about, but I didn't think I'd be willing to pay $10 for it. When it goes on sale for 75% off I don't mind throwing a few dollars at it to see if its worth it. SR3 was the same deal. It looked fun, but no one I knew played it. GTA Vice City was a game I loved back in the day, and just wanted to have in my collection. For that price you can't beat it.

It's all about price vs time vs entertainment. When games are full price you might not get the same entertainment value out of it. You might feel like you need to spend a lot of time playing them to get your moneys worth. If you end up hating the game you feel like it was a wasted purchase.

Sure you can get some of these deals at other times during the year, but these steam sales group it all together and it gives gamers something to look forward to.

This is the last time I rant while juicing. Shut down on every level. Well played AltTabMe well played :)

Not to mention you get those awesome steam cards for buying shit. Amirite?
Jesus those things are so stupid. They do nothing except sit there. At least ccg trading cards are part of a game you can play.

Prior to the sale the cards were worth a good 40-50 cents per. I stocked up on some steam cash by selling the ones I have. I've bought 2 games and still have enough for another 1-2.

I got in on the cards early and earned some don't starve ones cause I was playing it. I think they were worth about 3 or 4 bucks each when I first got them, but I never tried to sell em. Now I just don't care about em.

BUT THINK OF THE PRESTIGE OF HAVING ALL THE CARDS. ALL THE CARRRRRRRRRRDS. GOTTA COLLECT. GOTTA PLAY MORE VIDJA GAMES TO COLLECT. COLLECT. BUY. COLLECT. ARHGHGHGJGHGJGJFJFJFJFJFJGJ

BUT THINK OF THE PRESTIGE OF HAVING ALL THE CARDS. ALL THE CARRRRRRRRRRDS. GOTTA COLLECT. GOTTA PLAY MORE VIDJA GAMES TO COLLECT. COLLECT. BUY. COLLECT. ARHGHGHGJGHGJGJFJFJFJFJFJGJ
This is how I see things that I like to collect too (league of legends skins and star wars novels especially).

Top Bottom