What's new

Stop paying to work a second job!

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
This is going to be short and sweet and just here to spark up some flow of conversation. One of my favorite websites ihatemmorpgs.com redid their logo:

View attachment 536

That pretty much sums up my feeling with most MMO's these days.

It also however led me to read a few of the interviews and games like "Shards" and "SotA" have my attention.

There's just one difference I want to point out.

Work can be enjoyed. Play can be boring. That's up to the player, not the activity. What you may consider work, I may consider entertaining.

Edit: I love my job. I crunch numbers all day long, and do a lot of repetitive tasks. I know there are TONS of people that would hate my job. Those of you who hate dailies would most likely hate my job. I love my job BECAUSE of it's repetitiveness, and because of the sweet paycheck and general position advancement (PvE progression anyone?).

tr1age, I'm assuming you love your photography gig. You're the type of person that doesn't do what you don't enjoy. I would die of boredom in that profession. I don't give two fucks if some leaf falls perfectly at the right angle while this girl is posing exquisitely to match the form of the fallen leaf in descent. "Look, it's a chick and a leaf..." I don't have the creative side to me, and why I get bored so easily with the sandbox gameplay. Just not my cup of tea.

I wasn't referencing any specific game by the way, just sparking some conversation :)

Aaaannnd this thread is now sandbox vs themepark vs themebox/sandpark....go

See I think that is where it will head but it shouldn't this is about being a game versus a pain in the ass.

Whether you are "crunching numbers" or "pinning leaves to the air" as Bruce would have it sound like I do at my jobs lol... there is a commonality: not to login to a game after a long day and feel like you are bored or working too hard, but also accomplishing shit.

See I think that is where it will head but it shouldn't this is about being a game versus a pain in the ass.

Whether you are "crunching numbers" or "pinning leaves to the air" as Bruce would have it sound like I do at my jobs lol... there is a commonality: not to login to a game after a long day and feel like you are bored or working too hard, but also accomplishing shit.

Agreed. Im more in the sandbox camp these days. Used to enjoy both, and I do miss a good raid challenge. Just don't have the will or the time. Patiently waiting on Star Citizen, The Repopulation, and EQ: Next.

I only fall into sandbox because themepark has gotten predictable and formulaic no human variables as much. Wiping is predictable, a swarm of 50 players running at you to wipe you is not.

I only fall into sandbox because themepark has gotten predictable and formulaic no human variables as much. Wiping is predictable, a swarm of 50 players running at you to wipe you is not.

But honestly how much can you change a themepark before its not a themepark?

I am enjoying our current 'theme park' mainly due to the people I play with, which has always been the case with MMOs. I'd rather play a themepark that all of my friends are playing and enjoy achieving things with them then play a sandbox totally alone.. that being said I wish we had a good sandbox to play.

I am enjoying our current 'theme park' mainly due to the people I play with, which has always been the case with MMOs. I'd rather play a themepark that all of my friends are playing and enjoy achieving things with them then play a sandbox totally alone.. that being said I wish we had a good sandbox to play.

I agree that people makes a huge factor...unfortunately my schedule hampers that slightly.

I agree that people makes a huge factor...unfortunately my schedule hampers that slightly.

Meh I love everyone and everything but I still don't go out with my friends if they are all doing colonics.

This is going to be short and sweet and just here to spark up some flow of conversation. One of my favorite websites ihatemmorpgs.com redid their logo:

View attachment 536

That pretty much sums up my feeling with most MMO's these days.

It also however led me to read a few of the interviews and games like "Shards" and "SotA" have my attention.

on a side note...does SotA refer to Shroud of the Avatar?

"pinning leaves to the air" as Bruce would have it sound like I do at my jobs lol...

Ahh did not mean to insult your work! It's the artistic aspect I was trying to grasp, not the effort values of work <3

Meh I love everyone and everything but I still don't go out with my friends if they are all doing colonics.

To sidetrack a little: I've always wanted to put "Colonic" on the menu at a hipster bar and see how many try to order one.
"Dude it sounds French or something, it must be cool"
"oh, sorry you'll have to repeat that... my flannel was too loud."

Back on target: Maybe that's why Wildstar could be so great in the long run. Theoretically no one needs to "pay" to play their second job.
Also I'm 100% on the "better with friends" idea. My friends made WoW much, much better of an experience than most of the population in Vanilla and BC. Wish more of them still played games, oh well new friends is always a good thing.

Although at my peak I played WoW for 60+ hours a week of progression raiding and farming appropriate potions/flasks/food and the like, I have never felt like an MMO was a second job. Its more a timesink that actual rewards play and results in a feeling of progression of the character you play. Rather than playing for 60+ hours a week on something like Call of Duty where you just shoot stuff for 10 minutes then join another game, MMO's offer the unique experience of being able to feel as though your time isn't wasted.

That being said. I also treated it as a second job. Making money off selling gold.

Top Bottom