What's new

The "Girl" Gamer: On The Other Side

`

There is nothing wrong with McDonalds. If you choose to eat it 4 times a day you are doing it wrong. no one is forcing you to eat it. Do you care if your fat? no? good for you fuck what people think. Do you not want to be fat? stop eating. put down the fork. this is not rocket science. despite what people would have you think there is no such thing as "fast food" addiction. you don't get the shakes from burger withdrawl. If people stopped eating at McDonalds guess what? no more McDonalds.

And if facts have no baring on reality then i don't think we have anything left we can discuss.

also (because we are too pussy to do something about our antiquated ways.) way to perpetuate negative female language. (intentionally pedantic) *ponydurr:

You kinda missed my entire point while disproving your love for statistics on a topic I wasn't even talking about, but using as a jest towards popular opinion. Esplain yo' self Lucy!

It's all good. I feel like I need more mumble time with you to decipher a base line. I do enjoy the back and forth btw :)

angelXwind 's experience is not limited to the gaming or software development industry. I work in customer service and we have to be constantly on the alert for callers that are trying to stalk our female reps. There's people that will call just to hear a female voice. A few of them figured out that they could set a password to a "naughty" phrase and then get a female rep to say it back to them. We stopped giving out passwords. These people may or may not also play video games.

My conclusion is that men are pigs and a startling majority will be immature and sexist if they think they can get away with it.[DOUBLEPOST=1377549562,1377549444][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's all good. I feel like I need more mumble time with you to decipher a base line. I do enjoy the back and forth btw :)

Yeah, Evilcat took me aback at first, but I think he's pretty awesome now.

angelXwind 's experience is not limited to the gaming or software development industry. I work in customer service and we have to be constantly on the alert for callers that are trying to stalk our female reps. There's people that will call just to hear a female voice. A few of them figured out that they could set a password to a "naughty" phrase and then get a female rep to say it back to them. We stopped giving out passwords. These people may or may not also play video games.

My conclusion is that men are pigs and a startling majority will be immature and sexist if they think they can get away with it.[DOUBLEPOST=1377549562,1377549444][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah, Evilcat took me aback at first, but I think he's pretty awesome now.

We are actually chatting currently. He is much calmer than I expected :)

There's people that will call just to hear a female voice. A few of them figured out that they could set a password to a "naughty" phrase and then get a female rep to say it back to them. We stopped giving out passwords. These people may or may not also play video games.

I've heard stories from tech support/retail where female reps were actually ridiculed by the customer, and demanded that they see a "man who actually knew things."

That being said, wow. That has got to be the most creative way I've seen.

My conclusion is that men are pigs and a startling majority will be immature and sexist if they think they can get away with it.

That, I do have to admit is true (including my own father). Then again, not all men are like that, so it's not exactly right to just bundle every single man into a group like that.

What exactly will the people who "find your picture" get at the end? Do they get a reward? A prize? Money?

Nope... they can just assume pretty or ugly by their own tastes.

The one guy who found a picture of "me" (the other Karen) immediately got a bunch of replies on his one comment thread all saying how cute "I" was, and how I'm apparently their dream girl.

...Then he (don't know about the rest of them) got shadowbanned by the reddit mods. (Sharing personal info is against the rules, even though that wasn't actually mine)

I've heard stories from tech support/retail where female reps were actually ridiculed by the customer, and demanded that they see a "man who actually knew things."

That being said, wow. That has got to be the most creative way I've seen.

That, I do have to admit is true (including my own father). Then again, not all men are like that, so it's not exactly right to just bundle every single man into a group like that.

The one guy who found a picture of "me" (the other Karen) immediately got a bunch of replies on his one comment thread all saying how cute "I" was, and how I'm apparently their dream girl.

...Then he (don't know about the rest of them) got shadowbanned by the reddit mods. (Sharing personal info is against the rules, even though that wasn't actually mine)

So stupid. And I say that from a "these people are going to have vapid relationships if they think a girl who plays games and is cute" = happiness.

Of course they aren't even thinking that far. But when I put it that way, it makes me laugh.

I only half read this because hello book but will try to finish reading from what I gathered you portrayed what you thought the mindset of a female gamer is? Lol man oh man I gotta be honest with you. I have been gaming since I was a small child. I actually hate depending on others to the point sometimes I prefer to play alone. I know that sadly this isn't the case for some women on the internet and that is fine I have learned that just because Sally-Jean needs someone to hold her hand in gaming that it doesn't reflect in any way shape or form on my ability to be independent. I can not stand the term Girl Gamer or Gamer Girl when someone addresses me on say Twitter. It literally drives me bat shit crazy because I am a person and can't stand being judged because I was born with a vagina. I think that the fact you pretended to be female and act like this confuses people into thinking this is how girls are.

Think about it. How many dudes out there pretend to be a female for the benefit of themselves. A lot. I really do believe that half the hate that women get in gaming is due to catfishing. In my years of working with the gaming community I have had a handful of men confess they play female characters for free stuff. It's just messed up.

Whatever happened to just playing games because you love it, passionate about it, it's a hobby and a way to escape. So many things I am tired of.. like livestreaming and refusing to use a camera because when I do (and I wear hoodies nothing revealing) I get asked to show my tits and oddly my feet (lol gross.) I am tired of feeling like I have to hide or not be involved in real life photo threads because I may be accused of seeking attention.

I think a lot of it is on the male end of the stick for catering to these catfish or actual women who try to suck everything out from people. Just stop. Don't give anything in game to anyone unless you get to know them as a person and feel like you're making a wise choice. Now if you're just a giving mofo feel free.. you give to everyone. The Jesus of gaming.

I hope I didn't come off rude or anything because I know A LOT of amazing dudebros who never judge because of gender.

I would suggest one thing after skimming your post. Read the whole thing. You are judging off the first chapter alone and not the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest one thing after skimming your post. Read the whole thing. You are judging off the first chapter alone and not the experience.

Yeah but your experience was how men treated you right? I will read the next stuff in a little bit.

The experience was more of a documented stream of consciousness, realizations, and ultimately just a story one would tell at a camp fire. Not an agenda seeking propaganda.

The experience was more of a documented stream of consciousness, realizations, and ultimately just a story one would tell at a camp fire. Not an agenda seeking propaganda.

Hah, I see. Not like judging you or anything. Just interested is all. :p

Also this isn't meant to be read in a sitting it is 4 chapters released over 4 days. Take your time haha. As well lots of your comments are addressed in the article.

Top Bottom