What's new

Wildstar The Nexus Telegraph: Points of interest in WildStar's latest beta patch

Harlequin

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/01/the-nexus-telegraph-points-of-interest-in-wildstars-latest-bet/

I'm beginning to think that people not in the WildStar beta are spending more time reading the patch notes than the people actually playing. Sure, they need to skim and find out what's changed, but the rest of us have an entire week of analyzing and dissecting to do. Or I do, anyway. Maybe everyone else just glances over them and moves on.

I'm kind of hoping that it's not just me, but it wouldn't be the first time.

There's a lot of interesting stuff going on in the new patch notes, and some of it makes sense only if you're playing the game. Still, there's plenty to dissect from the outside looking in, and that's where I'm coming from. So I'm going to be taking it one step at a time to pick out points of interest from within the deep confines of the patch notes, and of course, speculating wildly because that is also what I do here.

ws-nextel-betanotes-1-epl-628.jpg.pagespeed.ce.FVgsy3962v.jpg
First of all, I'd like to note the sheer brilliance of having a "recommended friends" list, something that most non-MMOs have adopted but MMOs have been slow to pick up on. If my PS3 can suggest people I've played with recently, I'm willing to bet that other games can, and yet so often I can't remember the healer's name or the competent DPS in the group and so it goes. Having that in place will be a boon to those of us with longer memories than attention spans.

I'm also interested in Rival functionality, and quite frankly, I'd like it expanded. Make it akin to a Friend list -- force players to approve Rival status, see when they're online, even let them send tells back and forth. This means that friends playing on opposite-faction alts can still talk, and it also lets you create real rivalries, with both sides talking and aware of one another even as they're not exactly friends.

Remember, good conflict comes from a situation in which both sides know one another.

Still on the social train is the Neighbor functionality for housing, which is... well, not ideal, but it's about where you could go while fulfilling a lot of other housing needs. The net result is that you don't feel locked out from a larger sense of community, but neither do you have random people wandering in your front yard at all times. It also means that you can actually go up and knock on the door of a friend's house. That's worthy execution, in my mind.

While I'm reluctant to say that tradeskill talents are an entirely good thing, since even in the beta they're not fully in place, the idea certainly appeals. It's the chance to not just specialize but really fine-tune your crafting experience, something that long-time readers know I am heavily in favor of. I'm hopeful for more in-depth crafting mechanics in the game, as I've speculated in the past. That being said, this sort of system could even make a more rote "click and wait" approach at least slightly more interesting.

As for all the class changes... on the one hand, there's no way to place all of these in a comprehensive context. We know that players are up to eight abilities at once, which seems like a good spread in an active game, although it brings to mind some of the weaker parts of The Secret World. (That mess is a different discussion, though.) On the other hand, some of the things we can suss out are interesting enough to speculate on for days.

For example, Espers get Dislodge Essence, which is a healing spell. Except it's more active than that. You hit the closest enemy with a damage-over-time ability that heals people as it does damage. Instead of standing in the back waving your hands, you're helping the overall tide of the battle through damage and healing. Warriors get a tanking ability that buffs defenses but fails if the Warrior isn't paying enough attention to the battlefield layout. Stalkers get to flip out and throw weapons everywhere.

The point I'm making here is that all of these classes are coming into focus as being related to familiar tropes without being beholden to them, which is pretty darn cool.

xws-nextel-betanotes-2-epl-628-1372426094.jpg.pagespeed.ic.WO1_-MG0bs.jpg
Rated arenas. Here ends the gushing, partly because this isn't something I find fun and partly because this is one of those fields where a few slight tweaks can absolutely destroy any sort of meaning for casual PvP. Rated arenas also frequently have the problem of rewarding the best players with better gear, thereby creating the exact opposite of every sport ever. I'm not saying this is bad, but I am saying it doesn't light me on fire at all.

Of course, immediately after that you can read about the changes to a dungeon called Skullcano, which is so ridiculously over the top that I can't help but fall in love all over again. It's either a volcano of skulls or a volcano shaped like a skull, or quite possibly both, and I can't pretend not to adore the idea of something called Skullcano. Well played, Carbine Studios, well played.

Ultimately, I'm interested that revealing major patch notes has now become a thing for the beta test. It's certainly unique, and it prevents unwanted leaks and gives onlookers a chance to dissect what's changing. At the same time, in some places I'm feeling a bit of speculation fatigue from guessing at what one change or another might mean in the long-term. We don't have a clearer context, and those of us not in the beta are building a speculative house out of nothing.

Feedback is welcome in the comments below or via mail to [email protected]. Next week, I want to chat about telegraphs, based on my own limited experience and on what we've seen them used for thus far.

xws-swipe.jpg.pagespeed.ic.lK8fToOUok.jpg
Here's how it is: The world of Nexus can be a dangerous place for a tourist or a resident. If you're going to venture into WildStar, you want to be prepared. That's why Eliot Lefebvre brings you a shiny new installment of The Nexus Telegraph every week, giving you a good idea of what to expect from both the people and the environment. Keep your eyes peeled, and we'll get you where you need to go.

Read this earlier. Really is kind of a shitty article IMO. Complains about Rated Arenas as not being casual, and doesn't reference the new BG even though he mentioned the changes to a dungeon. On top of that, his idea of the Rival system is just asinine. With the ability to have to accept/reject the rival listing, people will just reject it all the time unless it really was a mutual pvp encounter. Then, chances are, they will both add eachother anyways.

And when has the PS3 had a recommended friends list? They have your friends list and they have "people you've recently played with". None of that "Oh you added this person? Why not add these other 20 people that you actually don't know because your new friend is friends with them" that facebook does. No, just because I added someone to my friends list does not mean I want to friend their cousin twice removed since s/he added them to be nice.

Rated arenas. Here ends the gushing, partly because this isn't something I find fun and partly because this is one of those fields where a few slight tweaks can absolutely destroy any sort of meaning for casual PvP. Rated arenas also frequently have the problem of rewarding the best players with better gear, thereby creating the exact opposite of every sport ever. I'm not saying this is bad, but I am saying it doesn't light me on fire at all.

Ha never thought of it like that but agree 100%

It's also been stated that the best PvP gear will be obtainable via Warplots. So... Moot point on his end.

Not really. Rewarding the best with better gear to always be the best is crap as I have always taken a stance on. It makes it so you have very little chance to get into the best unless you are EVEN better. Which while it may be its own form of competition, it is not competition in the sense of skill.

Sorry not agreeing with ANY mmo gearing to PVP thing :)

Not really. Rewarding the best with better gear to always be the best is crap as I have always taken a stance on. It makes it so you have very little chance to get into the best unless you are EVEN better. Which while it may be its own form of competition, it is not competition in the sense of skill.

Meh, without the carrot on a stick we end up with GW2 SPvP... Well, actually that's a poor comparison since GW2 SPvP died due to lack of game modes and stale maps, along with a really shitty tourney system (along with cosmetic only rewards).

I personally approve of the "bracket" gear system. You earn better gear by being better to be used in other forms of content, be it PvE or PvP. Finishing Tier 1 unlocks Tier 2. Same way in PvE as is PvP. The issue that you don't like is that there sometimes isn't a line between Tier 2 players to Tier 1 players, correct? what was it, ranking of 2200 in WoW? What if say, once you hit that bracket, you were removed from the Tier 1 bracket of Arenas into Tier 2 unless you did not use the Rank 2 gear set (but at that point you'd still have the argument of "OMG, you guize are ranked too high, go play in your own bracket").

But on that note, would you not like that gear to be used in say, open world PvP? BG's? Warplots? Would you make each of these gear sets independent of each other?

Or, what if, WHAT IF, PvP was actually more determinant on SKILL rather than GEAR? Isn't that what you've always wanted anyways?

Or, what if, WHAT IF, PvP was actually more determinant on SKILL rather than GEAR? Isn't that what you've always wanted anyways?

I have always backed this. ALWAYS. Unless we can get that gear through other means such as BUYING it, Trading for it, crafting it.

Or make it so your armor breaks and there is no repair so to stay in the top you need to keep buying said gear. This way you are not just positioned there forever due to gear.

I have always backed this. ALWAYS.
I know that. That's why I said it. <3

But in a world of gear progression MMO's... We just have to put our faith in carbine so that they will make it heavily more skill based and that gear only factors as a "Tie Break".

I just wish gear was never given for any pvp related activity. Raiders might need the carrot but pvp is the carrot, not the gear. I hate grinds with a passion. Most games end up turning pvp into a grind where you dont log in to do any pvp, people just pvp because they "have" to in order to get the best gear. I know my philosphy is different than most and better suited to sandbox games like darkfall. I just hope there is a good mix and gear is an 'asset' but not a determining factor to how good you are in pvp.

Again my best mmo pvp was wow tarren mills and I think a lot of people back then enjoyed it. There was no reward, just satisfaction in battle

I'm in favor of special mounts or titles given to arena winners. And for ranked combat, why not give away real money or x amount of months of free play? There's plenty to win as incentives other than gear.

Yeah gear from PvP is just a bonus. There is a reason I enjoy open world PvP and huge, strategic battles. That's the real reward, having a great time

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I thought that they had at least one type of PvP which was set with base gear to an actual Skill vs Skill match. Was in an interview or article of some sort IIRC.

Yeah gear from PvP is just a bonus. There is a reason I enjoy open world PvP and huge, strategic battles. That's the real reward, having a great time

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'd like to be able to say that I'd still raid if it weren't for the phat lewtz, but I like the shinies!

Skill vs Skill pvp would need some sort of incentive or people wouldn't play. Off the top of my head they could do cosmetic stuff to show off outside pvp matches like gear and clothing skins, non combat pets, housing trophies, titles, mounts, etc.

If there is any pvp gear involved at all people will always say it was the gear that beat me not the skill.

I've played one of the biggest pay to win games of all time, Achaea. In Achaea, when you leveled you got skill points but you would never ever be able to max a skill no matter how many levels you got (unless you reached level 125 and the highest person of all time has only gotten to level 115). So, you had to pay to max your three class skills plus if you wanted to pvp a few more after that to even stand a bit of a chance, the average cost of this is inbetween 5-800 dollars in "credits" to transfer into skill points to transcend your skills. So not that this is bad enough, you can also use credits to not only buy some of the best gear, but you can literally buy extra stat points (in the form of clothing) with the credits as well. People spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on this game. That having been said, on my main I only ever paid enough to get the skill points to be able to pvp and nothing more (although a few things were given to me admittedly but nothing like stat boosting ckothing) and I had enough skill to literally embarrass these people who had dumped enough money into this game to the game to buy a fairly nice used car.
Now I can't say I've played WoW but SWTOR had a lot of stats tied to their pvo gear (expertise mostly) that if you didnt have you couldn't really pvp very well against people who had it. Even with several hundred expertise more than most battlemasters (then the highest rank, now I think its war hero) I was still able to out dps and out 1v1 the people in t3 gear while I was still in t2 gear (I was horribly unlucky with my bags).
All that having been said, tl;dr is most games that I've played that are pay or grind to win I've been able to outskill most players.

Top Bottom