What's new

Tying Myself Down

Zakis

War Priestess
Ok so I recently found a condo thats pretty nice and have agreed on a price, going through inspections, etc. I went through this last summer while looking at houses. Granted a house is a ridiculous idea for me being single and at work A LOT. As the deal with the condo begins and picks up speed I get the same feeling I did before with the houses. Part of me says, this is fucking awesome, gonna have my own place n stuff! Then the other part of me kicks into overdrive.

It starts with the idea of sinking almost every penny saved into getting this place. Then the 'what ifs?' start to kick in. What if I get hurt at work the day after I sign this deal? What if I get hurt out of work? What if I somehow cant make the payments? What if Robot Sky Pirates attack from a Cloud Base?(ok maybe not that last one). This progresses to the 'whys?'. Why should I bother with all the bullshit associated with owning property? Why not find a nicer place to rent and enjoy the ridiculous physical and financial freedom that this job gives me? Why CHAIN myself to one place, unable to go anywhere on a whim? I feel like I dont need to live with that and I shouldn't.

Now I realize that I should be nervous and a bit stressed about throwing piles of money around like its fucking candy just to have property(fuck you NY and your expensiveness and your magazine laws). I also realize that its perfectly normal for people to have dreams of vacation or getaways or whatever. I feel like this is more to me though. I feel like I dont want or need to be rooted or contained in one place, not that I have travelled much yet. I think its the idea that I have options, lots of options. I can decide one day fuck it, Im going to get lost in a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness, or whatever and I would be perfectly fine with that. Or maybe find that last uninhabited island somewhere and chill. Or end up bartending in some hidden bar somewhere. Hell I occasionally go on road trips on my days of for no reason other than its nice out. Got two days off? Fuck it lets drive!

Ugh I don't know but this whole thing has me stressin again, enough to almost pick up cigarettes again at the store on the way to work tonight. I would definitely feel like an asshole for dragging my realtor around a second time for nothing though...RAWR.

I just needed to vent.....

Now is a great time to buy a house or condo. Prices are going up and waiting will just cost you more later. Sure you could lose your job, but that could happen at any time. Worst case is you lose the house and have to go back to an apartment.

I say do it, you can always travel by visiting places, and really do you see yourself dropping your good job to go live in alaska?

I always have had bad connotations about renting because you're paying for something you don't get to keep. At the same time it is kind of silly to have an entire house to yourself as that with utilities etc gets expensive.

At the end of owning a house you will have lots of equity though, which is why it is my preference in the end. The other "what ifs" are going to be there regardless what you live in.

I always have had bad connotations about renting because you're paying for something you don't get to keep. At the same time it is kind of silly to have an entire house to yourself as that with utilities etc gets expensive.

At the end of owning a house you will have lots of equity though, which is why it is my preference in the end. The other "what ifs" are going to be there regardless what you live in.
But the glory of renting is the maintenance. It's not yours and you're not expected to do it. It's almost like paying for a necessity with perks of luxury. Granted, I 100% agree with you on the "paying for an asset without worth" argument as well. I hate poor investments. That's why I have to logically reason with luxury and freedom.

Buying can be a good investment. In theory you should see a good return on your money if you buy a place compared to spending money on rent and not getting anything back when you leave. Houses are a lot of work and a lot of stress, but you will learn and grow up fast.

Top Bottom