What's new

Undead Love

NeverMore

I have this insatiable love of the undead, and have had it since I was about 8 years old. The first time I had any experience with the undead was in soul reaver. The game piqued my interest and I couldnt quite place what about it did so, but I began searching.

I scoured games purely with the intent of discovering what it was that captivated me at that young age, and ive since discovered it. Undead. Any and all of them. We're talking so much love for the undead that at my young age I used to fantasize about being a lich! I used my stuff animals, and would pretend that my beanie monkey was a necromancer. And that my stuffed bears were soldiers who couldnt withstand the onslaught of his necromantic powers. They did however, fight valiantly.

Over time my stuffed animals even took an undead turn. One year my dogs ripped the face of my beanie cat off and tore all the beans out. I took that cat, sewed the eye of a much bigger stuffed animal into it's face, and left huge stitches visible though I had the skill to do it cleanly. That cat was an undead, cyclops, who could shoot lasers from his eyes and levitate. He was the first general of my monkeys armies and had been given a minute amount of independent thought so that he could be effective.

These incidents were only a few of the occasions where I expressed my inate love of undeath. Diablo 2, Guildwars 1, DnD, pathfinder, playing pretend, favorite characters, books, movies, and any other case where the undead has been, ive taken part in or wished that I could have.

Even with this love there've been some things that I couldn't bring myself to enjoy. Some of the things done to modern vampires, such as removing their grotesque appearance, have been a little disappointing, but i suppose that I like the popularity it has given them(fuck sparkling though). During WoW's highest point I felt as though the undead, though potrayed in a nice physical manner, were second class when it came to the attention given to them. Why the fuck were all of the undead human? Lazy bastards.

Even with their faults though, my attraction to the undead has never diminished and it has been a golden era for undead fanatics like myself. Every game in a fantasy setting seems to have some sort of access to the undead and the only thing missing is a lich. I fantasize about a game that has a lich, or better yet a game where you play a necro evolving into a Lich.

Anyway, a lot of people are made uncomfortable by the undead. I however am a bit overly comfortable, and hell i'd still turn myself into a lich if possible. I'd graft some extra limbs onto myself, preserve only a few portions of myself so that I'd maintain a grotesque rather than clean appearance. (Do my cheekbones look bloated with this pallid skin?) I'd even work on making a nice society of undead...

I wonder if this and my feelings on playing the anti-hero in RP are related... I dont really see necromancy or the undead as inherently evil. Though I am who I am I guess.

Tl;dr: I have an obsession with the undead.

That was a lot to type on the phone...

Funny. I have a fascination with the dead. The undead just gross me out. LOL Though, I do like to play undead characters in games if they are available, go figure.
I cannot believe you typed all of that on your phone! ZOMG!

Just the dead :eek:? The thought of being interested in inanimate corpses has never so much as crossed my mind. Im as curious and clueless about your interest as some may be about mine.

Not so much the decomposing bodies as the ghosts, hauntings, epitaphs, cemetaries, spirit communication, when the life leaves the body, etc.

I wonder if this and my feelings on playing the anti-hero in RP are related... I dont really see necromancy or the undead as inherently evil. Though I am who I am I guess.
Maybe with the fallout some Goop splashed on you and now after you are dead an Cid spread your remains you pull yourself together and drag any body part close to you? lol idk

And thanks Kis for the encouragement geez

Oprah mode: You get a facepalm... and you get a facepalm..... EV-ER-Y-BODY HERE GETSSSSSSSSSS A FAAAAACEPALM!!!!!!!!!

I'm a near-irrational germaphobe when it comes to dead or decomposing things. I REALLY hate it when my insects (I'm an entomologist) die of some strange disease. As soon as something dies I have great difficulty in making myself touch it unless I have protective gear on (ranging from rubber gloves to a plastic bag). I know it's irrational because insect diseases can't harm mammals but I'm still freaked out by it. I'm actually fine with freshly killed things...

So yeah, undead things also = eww. I'll tolerate them as long as I don't have to touch them in real life.

Maybe with the fallout some Goop splashed on you and now after you are dead an Cid spread your remains you pull yourself together and drag any body part close to you? lol idk

And thanks Kis for the encouragement geez

XD I like it, but that seems so far fetched for this :p Who knows though, what with the abomination earlier. I did however mean in general. For instance I usually play aberrations in rp. Here is one such example. A pathfinder race I dubbed as "lump"

Not so much the decomposing bodies as the ghosts, hauntings, epitaphs, cemetaries, spirit communication, when the life leaves the body, etc.

I never really know what category ghosts would fall into. Ghosts that are grotesque in form id call undead. Ghosts that are reflections of what they were, idk what to call.

I allways thought the whole Zombie thing (undead so fits in this thread sort of?) is an amazing concept, and hope even to this day that a zombie apocalypse will be the end of humanity :3 or at least like a big flesh-eating bugspray to clear out most of the mosquitos, know what I mean?

Seriously, what is it with Zombies that makes them so awesome? :3

Speaking of that, what kinda zombies do y'all prefer? The fast raged ones introduced in 28 days later and L4D and such, or the slow tenacious ones that the great George A. Romero put on the screen from the beginning? :3 I like the fast ones myself :D more "OHGOD-" about them :3

But. the big but, is, that they're made to fail :( that bugs me. what'd zombies do when there's no more people to chew? :( self-dying undead, boooh.

Made to fail? You can only take zombies so far before the whole premise falls apart. You really have to suspend your disbelief and accept the story being told, otherwise you start thinking about the effects of dead flesh on a living ecosystem, where things get very interesting for a couple of months, before things return to post-disaster normal. Zombies not killed by the rat plague would slowly be hunted down by people with guns or eaten by macrofauna...

Ultimately it comes down to magic, and the defined effects of magic on the world, and thus the quality of the writer.

Top Bottom