What's new

What are you currently reading?

Milleuda

Mother Hen
In the chat box this morning we were talking about books, so I figured this would be a good place to start making recommendations! Whether you are reading fiction, non-fiction, comics, manga, or even the newspaper... let's share!

***​

I'll start: I'm currently reading a fiction novel by Lauren Oliver called Delirium. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11614718-delirium

From amazon.com: "In an alternate United States, love has been declared a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure called the Cure. Living with her aunt, uncle, and cousins in Portland, Maine, Lena Haloway is very much looking forward to being cured and living a safe, predictable life. She watched love destroy her mother and isn't about to make the same mistakes.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena meets enigmatic Alex, a boy from the Wilds who lives under the government's radar. What will happen if they do the unthinkable and fall in love?"

I just recently read "The Martian" which was one of the best books I have read in years. I read it in 2 sittings over 2 nights.

Its like the part of apollo 13 where they say, take this table full of stuff and make that thing. and you have 5 hours. Take that and make it into a whole book. And the writing is superb.

First, I LOVE this idea. :) That being said I currently have a book waiting for me to crack open...it's called The Drafter by Kim Harrison. If anyone is familiar with the series The Hollows, this is from the same author.

What I'm currently reading is a lot of regulatory compliance documents for work, which is boring and dry and I can't wait to take my next exam so I can get to actually reading something fun :)

Currently re-reading the entire Naruto manga, cause I feel like it. After that I will probably pick back up "I, Jedi" again and read it for the even 10th time then retire my copy and buy a new one. (Current one is like 15 years old and you can tell it's seen some shit).

I´m currently reading Flow Cytometry and Sorting by Myron R. Melamed.

"Revised and updated, this Second Edition of a classic text describes and evaluates--in greater detail--the most recent practical applications of flow cytometry technique to basic cellular biological investigations and clinical research on human neoplasms. Ideal for the experienced researcher as well as the novice, this informative book offers state-of-the-art reviews of all aspects of flow cytometry. New articles highlight investigations of higher plants, the flow cytometry of microorganisms, and measurements of intracellular ionized calcium and membrane potential--illustrating techniques of specimen preparation, measurement and analysis for each. New chapters examine applications of flow cytometry to medical genetics, genetic toxicology, and ultrasensitive analysis of molecules in solution. The Second Edition goes beyond the traditional analysis of DNA histograms with BrdU incorporation and DNA denaturability to identify and analyze the cell cycle more precisely. New or rewritten chapters discuss the importance of flow cytometry for measurements of nucleic acids, chromatin, and DNA and cover the cytometry of sperm and the cytopathic effects of viruses."

Why I like this book: It´s fascinating how many different ideas had to come together to build a machine capable of Sorting cells by color. I also really like the style the book is written in, since it mainly focused on "Our lab" or "We" instead of a neutral outsiders perspective.

On the side I am also reading the Mass Effect Novels.

Top Bottom