What's new

You're the Worst: TV Review

TIG

I like GOOOOOLLLLD!
This show is now in the middle of the second season. Episode 1 of the first season was INCREDIBLE. The rest of season 1 was a complete sell out.

Season 2 has so far been as good or even better than that first episode.

So, lets fill you in without ruining it completely. You’re the Worst is about 2 people who really don’t give a shit about what others think of them. I mean totally don’t care. And not only that, they have managed to get through life not needing others to help them along so they can be their selfish asshole selves and fuck anyone who won’t accommodate that.

Season 1 episode 1 showed that. Season 1 episodes 2 through blah was a slow grind to tv mediocrity. The only thing you need to know about those episodes is that the 2 main characters Jimmy and Gretchen ended up living together.
Season 2 really turned around though. Jimmy is still a self centered piece of shit and proud of it. Gretchen is too, but (spoilers) her depression is back and the show is AMAZING about showing her trying to deal with it / hide it. I feel like I am getting a real view into what its like to be weighed down with this disease.

When season 1 ended I was so mad at the writers and producers and studio for taking a show that was a risk and totally smoothing out all the rough edges. They copped out and sold out. I was pissed.

Maybe someone saw the potential in the original script. Maybe someone took a risk. Maybe it was the plan all along just to get a second season where they could get some momentum and stretch it out. Whatever happened I am glad they did because season 2 is nothing like season 1 (minus episode 1). Its real and its dark and these people are horrible, but man is it AMAZING to watch.

This show is now about people with real flaws and the nice “tie it in a bow in 30 minutes” format is out the window. If you care about characters and writing then watch this show.

HOLY FUCK! The season ended tonight and man did it pay off.

The depression arc came full circle. And it was believable. I have lived with someone who suffered from clinical depression and the writers did not treat it lightly. They even came up with a perfect explanation for how it all went down that fit perfectly with the characters in the show.

The end of the season was well earned for all the 4 main characters and even some of the secondary characters. Not all of it good or happy. Which is exactly what I expect from this show.

Some of these characters are horrible but interesting. Some are stupid but interesting. Some are just mind boggling. At least none of them are boring.

I highly recommend everyone who likes to see character development and people making real decisions in their tv shows to watch this show.

Top Bottom