What's new

A new type of MMO: Crowfall

dainjre

Generously Compensated Establishment Provocateur
Hey everyone, here's a little something that most of the Lords of the Dead people are getting pretty hyped about, and I'm definitely starting to take an interest. Crowfall is a pvp oriented MMO that, to me, seems more like a RTS. I'll post some of the most pertinent info here, but feel free to check out www.crowfall.com

Crowfall intro:

Titl1.jpg

Crowfall is a new type of Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) brought to you by Gordon Walton (Executive Producer of Ultima Online, Star Wars: Galaxies and Star Wars: the Old Republic) and J. Todd Coleman (Creative Director of Shadowbane, Wizard101 and Pirate101).

The Worlds of Crowfall feature unique maps, rules, and victory conditions. Every World is different, and players join teams (Factions, Guilds or Noble Houses) to vie for control of each World.

Each campaign world exists for a set duration – typically 1 to 3 months -- or until some "win condition" is met. During that time, the World will cycle through a single in-game year: Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. Through the course of the Campaign, the Worlds grow more sinister and deadly as the land is consumed by the Hunger – an unstoppable legion of the undead.

There are two types of Worlds in the Crowfall Universe: the Campaign Worlds, which produce materials (stone, iron and wood) and the Eternal Kingdoms, which are barren of resources -- but last forever.

At the end of Winter, the Campaign ends. A victor is declared, the map is wiped and the World goes offline forever. The players – the Crows – then fly back to their Home Worlds, to either count their spoils or lick their wounds before they choose a new Campaign and fight again.

The beginning of each Campaign is like the first round of "Civilization": players are dropped blind and naked into a harsh environment filled with deadly monsters, haunted ruins, abandoned quarries... and the most dangerous predator of all, other players. Craft weapons, scavenge armor, secure a stronghold, forge alliances and conquer the World.

Our Campaign Worlds are procedurally generated -- meaning that we use a technology library to automate the process of creating each World’s map. Mountains, forests, rivers, castle ruins, abandoned villages – each World is different, which means the game of territorial conquest will be different in every Campaign.

VoxelDestructWeb_256.gif

The worlds are also made of voxels (like Minecraft, only much smaller) – which means the entire world is destructible. We are harnessing VoxelFarm technology to generate an endless succession of unique and interesting Campaign Worlds for you to mine, shape, conquer and destroy.

About the classes:
Archetypelineup.jpg

Heroes are created using a deep Multi-Classing system, with Advantages and Disadvantages based on points.
Start with a base archetype (such as a Knight) and add advantages (such as "Eagle Eyes", which increases archery skill) and disadvantages (such as "Poor health", which decreases endurance -- but frees up points to spend elsewhere.

From there, Classes can be promoted (from "Knight" to "Sentinel", a heavily armored ranged warrior) and take up to three Disciplines, such as "Archery", "Blacksmithing" and "Bounty Hunter."

You can create and manage multiple characters and participate in multiple Campaigns at once -- each with unique powers, skills and resources!

You can create and manage multiple heroes across multiple active campaigns and kingdoms, each with their own unique capabilities and resources. A hero for every occasion!

Each hero archetype represents a core role and play style. For instance, certain heroes will be extremely effective in combat situations while others excel at crafting and resource management.

Though each role is initially balanced for distinct uses, players will have multiple ways to customize their hero's stats, appearance, abilities and gear.

As characters grow they can advance to one of many Promotion classes -- and pick up to three Disciplines -- to dramatically alter and enhance their skills and capabilities.

Current Archetypes: Druid, Ranger, Champion, Confessor, Knight, Assassin, Templar, Frostweaver, Duelist, Stalker, Forgemaster, and Legionnaire.

F.A.Q that I think are important:

1. Does combat use tab-targeting?

No. We’ve tried to make combat in Crowfall a little more action-combat focused, than your traditional MMO. For instance, we have “dashes” that you use to avoid attacks, as opposed to a passive (randomized) dodge system. Finding the right balance on this one has been extremely challenging from a design perspective, but we think we’ve found a mid-point. Hopefully you’ll agree.

4. How will combat “feel” in Crowfall?

In deciding what we want combat to “look and feel like,” we are drawing a lot of our inspiration from other recent MMOs. We love the idea of action-combat – but we have to make sure the game doesn’t get too “twitchy” (i.e. require lightning fast reflexes or too much button-mashing).

Combat has certain elements that are similar to Wildstar (our movement includes things sprints, dashes, and double jumps) and other elements that are similar to TERA (combo attacks that have short “locked” animation sequences – chains which you can opt to continue or break, for a cost.)

The result – when combined with our voxel terrain and physics based movement systems – is combat sequences that looks more fluid, feel more visceral and require more tactical thinking.

5. Does the game use the “trinity system” of class balance (tank, DPS, and healer)?

We have characters that are more offensive. We have characters that are more defensive. We have characters with support powers. But we made the game purposefully light on in-combat healing, to make it more deadly.

And remember, we’ve opened up the character customization options (through Promotion classes and Disciplines) to make each character a “mixed bag” of skills and powers. Each archetype starts with pre-disposition towards a certain playstyle, but after that, the game system really opens up and allows you to adapt your character any way you like.

7. You don't have Healer? That's what I play!

Our intent is for the support archetypes to have key buffs, debuffs, and physics related powers at a cost of damage or defensive capability. That isn't to say there won't be healing. There will be options to pick up healing powers (Discipline Runestones). We just didn't want to make the traditional fire hose style healer that most "trinity" combat systems use.

8. How do you prevent seasoned characters from smashing new players?

First, we are using a “skill” based system – there are no levels. Without levels, the difference between a “maxed” character and a starting character is far less severe.

Second, we designed the game to have a much flatter power curve. Meaning that your biggest gains for any skill (or attribute) come early, and the remaining gains are all on a steep “diminishing returns” curve.
Additionally, access to equipment will largely be based on acquiring it rather than an arbitrary “level” restriction. To add to this, the power curve for equipment has been dramatically “flattened,” as well. Power gained from equipment is much smaller than in a level-based game – but still meaningful enough that players aren’t running about naked.

More action-related mechanics such as dashes and blocks will create opportunities for new players to avoid damage that isn’t based on a random number generator. Additionally, terrain and position make a huge difference – which makes the game much more tactical.

9. How can you allow for so much character customization, and still claim that every character is balanced?

We don’t claim that! The idea that “all characters should be equally balanced in all situations” is not one of our design goals. We’re giving you the control to be able to customize your character. The natural result is that some character builds will inevitably be better than others.

Instead, our goal is to create a deep, complex simulation – filled with tactical and environmental considerations and emergent gameplay. Our design goal is that no single character is better than othersin every situation.
This approach means that mastery of the game relies on skill: knowing how to build your character in a way that suits your playstyle, and then seeking out situations in the game that will be to your advantage. It also means that adventuring parties will be less cookie cutter, as the roles are not as clearly defined. [this last part sold me]

Now i bet you're wondering about pricing...

Crowfall is a “buy once, play forever” game. That means that you buy the game once (estimated retail price of USD $50.) and you can play for the life of the game, without ever paying us again!
We also offer an optional VIP membership, details of which are provided below.

VIP members allows a few additional benefits:
  • “Behind the scenes” access to the development of the game
  • VIP members can use passive training for all 3 character slots (not just 1)
  • Priority access to all game servers
  • VIP frame / badge on the forums
  • Discount pricing on any purchases
  • Other cool (non-balance affecting) benefits as we think of them!

The price is currently TBD, but we’re expecting it to be around $15 a month.

All this info taken directly from www.crowfall.com

so yeah, interested for sure, but I won't be buying into the kickstarter. I'm looking forward to playing, but refuse to buy into this pay for alpha bullshit... I'm done being burned.

The natural result is that some character builds will inevitably be better than others.

Holy honesty Batman!
I like this already. An open system for character development where they know some builds will be plain better, but others can be super sexy for certain situations without getting nerfed when the regulars wake up. YAY~

The natural result is that some character builds will inevitably be better than others.

Holy honesty Batman!
I like this already. An open system for character development where they know some builds will be plain better, but others can be super sexy for certain situations without getting nerfed when the regulars wake up. YAY~
For sure, this kind of thing is very refreshing to see from a dev.

I was going to check in here and see if you guys were looking into Crowfall since I had a great time in GW2 with you. Their Kickstarter is halfway funded on Day 1, 400k/800k, so that looks promising. I loved Shadowbane, so this game being a successor in theory is awesome. Anyway, Alpha starts later this summer would be great to see some of you guys in game again.

I'm definitely wanting to check it out, so I made a post. Glad some real old people are coming out of the woodwork!

I'm really liking the world reset concept and dynamic weather. Though, I worry it might be difficult for a casual to find a home.

Personally I think a casual would find a huge home with this style of game.
Think AV 40 back when they first released it, but even longer!

A casual could develop (copy) a build for a type of combat suited for their timeslot, or a crafting - resource based anything build chipping in for little spurts in the background.
Plus huge PvP orientation screams casual. Why else is PvP style so much easier to get gear rewarded when compared to PvE for every MMO out there.

I would assume skills have time gates, or objectives to unlock. While time is limited for casuals objectives are not and the longer hour players can carry the casuals into objectives. Casuals can also significantly add to the power of a long hour player by churning out little things, or adding numbers to the primetime battles.

(if this doesn't make sense I'm having way too much fun with the best part of 'MURIKA, kick ass State beer)

OH MY GOD. OG ALTERAC VALLEY WAS THE SHIT!

seriously they just ruined it trying to please the "gimme now" people.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sounds like ww2online. It was a persistent and still is actually ww2 game. Very realistic and campaigns were run for months and the one with most territory wins at the end. Now this is a game I can see myself getting into. I sat in a tower in a town once for 6 hours in that game just waiting for the inevitable enemies. Epic.

We shall see what they do here. I will be waiting for it to be live to buy however. Pay to play alpha other than the 20$ h1z1 is not my cup of tea. But this looks cool as fuck. Love the idea of the weather seasons too and the campaigns ending. Sad about characters not persisting they will have to make a way to feel less Gimp in each season though to feel attachment toward progression like ww2online let you keep your rank to use specific weapons.

Also I love the idea of movement like wild star and combat like Tera. I feel like combos in Tera are similar to the ones in age of Conan still one of my favs. I'll jump on this possible hype train. Can't wait to see if they deliver.

Yeah definitely waiting for live but it sounds interesting as all hell.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Personally I think a casual would find a huge home with this style of game.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but my train of thought has always been that as a casual, there would be time to catch up on content between drops. I might not be sexy as hell and clearing shit 2 months after new gear is released, but I'd get there eventually.

In a 3 month span though, the curve is much shorter. If I play for a few hours on a couple weekends, I could potentially be at 25% the expected level by the time the campaign is ready for wipe. I wonder what I could accomplish at that subpar point during late game.

That aside, I just backed it, if only because the full title was offered at $34 for early bird kickstarter vs $50 at launch. Fingers crossed that it's successful.

Interested in seeing how this game develops. The Voxel system is being implemented in a cool way.

I won't PAY to play an alpha game anymore. I will "test" the game with an alpha/beta invite and report bugs and help with improvements but won't pay for another early access game.

I am tempted to back this project now after seeing the 34$ entry fee. That is pennies for a game that might be awesome when it comes out.

I am tempted to back this project now after seeing the 34$ entry fee. That is pennies for a game that might be awesome when it comes out.

Yes! That's the option I chose, though with a quick look I couldn't see the the differences between the $30/$34/$40, except that the $30s were sold out.

Top Bottom