What's new

Ant-Man: Teaser Trailer

Simpwn

Praise the Sun!

I don't know what to think of this movie. Anything Marvel does usually comes out pretty decent. I can't just get excited for this one though. Can someone that is more knowledgeable than I explain why this character gets his own film in the Marvel universe?

Cause hes an avenger and they want to use the movie to help set up the infinity wars arc... IMHO they should've done Moon Knight instead. Ant Man, you would know if you read any of the comics, is a dick though and its just like him to hoarde his own movie.

Well, when they laid out the phase 2 timeline I assumed Ant Man was in there because, canonically, Ant Man was the one who built Ultron as part of a really dumb scheme to convince the other Avengers to like him again. But that was Hank Pym, the original Ant Man and a total wife-beater. Scott Lang is the one this movie is about though. He is the second Ant Man, and also they made Iron Man invent Ultron because, to quote Marvel Studios, "Fuck everybody who isn't Iron Man."

I was really excited about this movie when it was going to be directed by Edgar Wright because I thought it could be a funny, offbeat film that lightens the otherwise incredibly dark tone of Phase 2 (which is what Guardians of the Galaxy ended up being). He makes exactly the kind of movie I thought a superhero movie starring Paul Rudd should be. But when they canned him, I worried that it would kind of lose its way and not be able to decide what kind of movie it wanted to be. This trailer... makes it look like exactly that thing has happened. Paul Rudd looks like he's trying really hard to make this trailer funny and the director keeps shoving generic, ominous superhero movie shit in there to drown it out.

Paul Rudd looks like he's trying really hard to make this trailer funny and the director keeps shoving generic, ominous superhero movie shit in there to drown it out.

This is only somewhat related, but important for the context... The film editor and film director are typically too expensive and have no involvement in the teasers/trailers. It's usually chopped together by some staff people in studio marketing - probably a lower rate non-A.C.E. editor and a post-producer with an executive producer signing off.

As to whether or not it's worth seeing, I'm not thrilled about it. But I hope to be surprised in the same way I was for Winter Soldier. There are some pretty big names in the crew.

I know, so I'm not writing it off entirely. But there seems to be a lot of driving and staring soulfully and inner conflict and whatnot, so hopefully that's all just left on the cutting room floor.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll go off this bug theme and make an amazing movie about The Tick.

Because Marvel and the studios using them are really trying to jump sharks before the money train stops.
I'm don't really like any of those movies they have made lately.
Flashing lights and computer effects cant make up for a horrible movie to listen to.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll go off this bug theme and make an amazing movie about The Tick.

We can dream, we can dream.

The only movie they've made that I didn't enjoy thus far was Iron Man 2, which occupies the same space as like... Pirates of the Caribbean 2 for me. If it's on television and I'm bored enough I'll watch it, but otherwise I'll probably find something else to do. Iron Man 3 was unnecessary but vaguely enjoyable. Thor 2 was my favorite, followed closely by Guardians of the Galaxy. And then Winter Soldier was pretty good, but ran pretty hard into the "Why did nobody call the Hulk" problem inherent to a connected universe.

Frankly, that's more or less what I was hoping Edgar Wright's Ant Man would be.

I'll see it because it is a superhero movie, i will judge it based off of the full movie.

Top Bottom