What's new

Anything that can go wrong...

Baldoraxx

Internalizing Master Of Casual
Will go wrong... So i have had a pretty stressful year, some of you guys have been there for me through it all. Last week my uncle passed away, a few months ago my old cars transmission died, new car payment now and a few other things.

Well now my one of my wisdom teeth decide it wants to break through the skin and say "Hello world". It is causing pains to open and close my mouth. Keeping my mouth shut and not moving isn't to bad and talking doesn't hurt to much.

But when i try to eat is the worst, I could barely open my mouth wide enough to put a thin slice of bread and a hotdog in my mouth. I hard to push hard to open it.

I tried last night putting the numbing gel on it and could only get a small portion due to big fingers. So it helped a little bit and i drooled some.

Now my wife is pushing the issue of me going to a dentist to see what needs to happen (most likely removal). However, i have no dental insurance, just regular medical insurance. The dental was expensive. If i decided to get dental, then there is a 12 month waiting period on "major services". As i look through the different services i see under "basic service" is simple extraction and oral surgery but oral surgery says it has the 12 month waiting period as well. I asked our HR and said it could be either and didnt really answer my question of whether it would be cheaper to get it done with/without insurance.

Has anyone gotten their wisdom teeth removed? Under or awake? What did it feel like? Price? and Pain?

I've seen some videos and its.... interesting. I know it would be a different POV when its you and no the POV of the dentist.

UNDER UNDER UNDER. Just fyi. And you need someone to take you home. Not painful.

I had one of four removed. I was awake, they just use a local anesthetic and you feel some pressure. I don't think they do surgery once it's crowned, so you'll most likely have to get the tooth broken, which is what they did to me. It was expensive as fuck for me, too. I think it would have been like 2100 for all four? Something like that, I just remember my mom, bless her heart, screaming bloody murder at the dentist when he gave her the bill.​
It's not something you need to go under for, and that I assume just costs more. I thought it was going to be bad but it really wasn't at all, it hurts like a motherfucker afterwards though. Also, pro-tip do whatever you can to avoid dry socket after it's removed. That is just a piece of shit.​

Go under and they can get it out cleaner. Just sayin :p Most dentists prefer to put you under for it. And to be honest I don't want to be aware right after it was done. Had all four removed. I am also a pussy. Although i did go to dance practice two days later.

Go under and they can get it out cleaner. Just sayin :p Most dentists prefer to put you under for it. And to be honest I don't want to be aware right after it was done. Had all four removed. I am also a pussy. Although i did go to dance practice two days later.

What do you mean cleaner? They didn't even offer to put me under for mine, and I was supposed to get all four out. I just sat stock still and he got it out in like, 30 seconds, no problem. Like I said, if you think you can just sit there then it's no big deal. The worst is that you hear a drill and then feel a bit of pressure in your mouth and then there's a pop/crack when your tooth break. You can even drive yourself home after, lol. I also think this way prevents swelling, or has a lower chance. Couple of my friends went under and got surgery and they all blew up like balloons.

Well, actually, like 2 weeks later I did have to pull a piece of half-inch bone out of my gum where the tooth was, so there's that but that isn't supposed to happen I don't think.

I've had 2 wisdom teeth removed. One was at a military dentist while in bootcamp. He wasn't too gentle. The other was at a regular dentist.

I was not under for either of them. The small amount of pain present didn't bother me, but the pulling, twisting, cracking, and other weird sounds could be too much for some people. Personally, I found it a fascinating experience.

Insurance is pretty unforgiving for things like this. You should check with your dentist and see what other pay options they have. Often, if they know you are paying yourself, they can give you some good discounts and get you on a payment plan.

What you don't want to do is let it go for too long. If it's not growing in right, it can crowd the other teeth and cause even worse and more expensive problems.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hear if you drink pineapple juice before the procedure your mouth won't swell as much after. I however am a neanderthal and all 4 of my wisdom teeth grew in perfectly with no issues or crowding (apparently I have a giant jaw) and I stillm posess all of my teeth. Godspeed friend.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth when I was around 19 maybe. I was awake, they just used the freezing and it just felt like they were tugging on something in your mouth. I actually still have the teeth in the little brown envelope they gave me.

It did not hurt, except the stupid needles. I was under my dad's insurance which is generally covered fully or just about. They told me the gas was pretty expensive and not covered so I didn't go for that.

I went under for mine x4, then got chalked full of vicodin for a couple days. Overall I rate the experience a 5/10.

This might seem like an odd option but if you have a good college for dental surgery nearby you can often get discounted rates there. A lot of people used the college of dental medicine at my school with good results.

I had mine Extracted, was put under. Overall not such a bad experience although your chin feels numb for like 12 hours after the fact so you drool a lot. You get used to the taste of serum leaching from the extraction wounds pretty quickly(nasty). I had 4 wisdom teeth removed and 2 second molars all at the same time ....sooooo 6 teeth. It took about 2 hours and It ended up costing me about 2700.00 Canadian.

Hope this is helpful.

I just had mine yanked out with a pair of industrial pliers in August.

Okay okay it was more of an actual surgery, but... I suggest going nighty night. I did all 4 at once. The cost is probably going to be about where others are saying it was (I was covered by my parent's dental stuff so I don't know exactly but it basically ate up everything I had). You're going to need someone to drive you home and hopefully be able to stick around for at least a day or two after just so you're not alone. Eating sucks for a good week or two...not because of pain, but because the list of stuff you can eat is extremely limited. Plus it's very important to make sure food doesn't get stuck anywhere. Get them out sooner rather than later (if you need to).

The actual surgery and the day of the surgery isn't bad at all especially if you go under. I had almost no pain. The most important thing is to take good care of the socket(s) after they're out to avoid a dry socket (terrible) or an infection (terrible). As always listen to whoever takes them out. The worst thing I had was excessive bleeding in the evening (my surgery was at 11AM) but we cleared that up (a blood vessel had to be cauterized...was worse than the surgery itself). I didn't have much swelling either.

I was really lucky with mine but even still it's not as bad as you'd think. Just expensive, that is as bad as you think.

Got some good news. It started hurting but still kinda hurt when i opened my mouth to eat. I couldn't even eat a hot dog on bread when i squished the bread down. Just ate a hotdog with bread and didn't have to squish it down. It still hurt slightly when i opened all the way but its only a pressure hurt and slightly at best.

Top Bottom