What's new

ArcheAge, Don’t believe the hype...

lawl. It looks like you stepped into some Reddit taboos without even knowing it. You really set them off there. hilarious.

I'm not gonna downvote Loledat... and DoYouEven... even if they did post like total tools. Because at Alttabme.com, I believe noobs should be loved and accepted for the clueless scrubs they are and loving nurtured into productive members of the community.

I think they mistook us for a typical forum populated almost exclusively by flamers, trolls, idiots, and haters. I'm sure if they return and post rational content, they'll find a forum that rewards it. Alas, they may already be spoiled by the pile of excrement that is now Reddit. Too bad, I hear it was once very nice.

EDIT: Tr1age, you should post your "I Feel Alone" GW2 rant and get yelled at for being a GW2 hater. Just to even things out.

Not quite all the lol reasons you gave.

The thing is you are a GW2 Fanboy...you even ask race and prof from gw2 in your register page...FANBOI

AA people like AA because isnt like GW2 or WoW or any other west crap that you hold as a holy grail, thats why you got bashed, a guy in http://www.mmorpg.com/index.cfm did a LEGIT review, and there we had normal discussion because he mention every single stuff the game has, unlike here, where you complain because isnt like GW2 or WoW or any other crap.

I laughed about GW2 combat...auto target, auto cast..enough said, atleast in TERA you had to be a pro GoldenEye 64 player for aim well in that little square and you didnt had help from the game..but in GW? is awful.

Atleat you promoted yourself a little for me to come and type some facts and realismt of why your crappy review sucks so bad...I mean you complaint about the character creation, are you retarded? did you even create one char? is better than TERA and has more options than GW2 the only thing missing what is? height? probably because the developers wanted to the races have normal height for avoid creating mini people harder to target...have you ever used your brain? or are you that bad in mmorpgs? you are a gw2 fanboy right? whats harder to target (YES BECAUSE YOU CAN TARGET) an asura or a giant norn? OH WAIT YOU DONT TARGET BECAUSE THE GAME DOES IT FOR YOU.

You are a terrible GW2 fanboy.

And last but not least: DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRO?
Why have you taken such personal offense to someone not liking ArcheAge? Especially given your classification of the author as a "GW2 fanboy", and by which merit you've proclaimed yourself as an ArcheAge fanboy. If the games are so different, wouldn't it'd be both fair and logical that someone who would enjoy one might not enjoy contrasting elements in the others?

You might find it therapeutic to write a GW2 or WoW review, in which you could list out all your many reasons why someone whose MMO play-style aligns with ArcheAge might not like those other games. Oh-- wait, that would be in-line with what tr1age wrote then, though...

Not everyone is going to like what you like (hell, anyone who has ever been to reddit should really already know that). The next time you criticize a review, I hope you'll be able to do so without waging a personal attack against the author. You'll find people might give your opinion merit that way.

Ya, I think he made his post and ended it with a catchphrase that he got off the internet then decided he wanted it to be his name so he made a 2nd account.

Actual funniest part is that the first account post was actually worth something even if it was all about putting your review down. The 2nd account is worthless trolling that no one fell for.

He also put the same birth date on both profiles so I don't think he was really trying to hide under a diff account.

I posted this article on ArcheAge Source and the comments so far have been wonderful! I love the feedback good or bad. All constructive and insightful into this game. God why do I ever go to reddit lol.

3lMteHX.jpg

hE03UVd.jpg

ObClPb6.jpg

1qi2eDh.jpg

JPTLKPV.jpg

lZ33sKZ.png

I have updated the thread to include all the conversation over there since today. It is quite interesting. Especially with some of the moderators of the ArcheAge forum also agreeing the game might be in a bad place right now.

Hey all,

I've been reading all of your guys' threads regarding AA because I thought it was neatly placed on the website and provided a lot of useful information. I created a profile mainly to respond to your review and the feedback (or trolling) it has received.

I've been waiting for this game for quite some time. Mostly following it when everything was in Korean, and I most certainly can't read the language. And after the fanboy reviews and videos, I was pretty excited for this and most recently, the announcement of Camelot Unchained.

Your review has helped me A LOT and though I don't want to write it off completely, based primarily off of your review, I still will be a bit more hesitant and have the right mindset going into the game, once it's released in North America. I do agree that some parts are a bit nitpicky (regarding graphics) in your review, but I have a friend that is an environmental artist in the gaming industry and he does the same exact thing, so can't fault you for that. Though, the only reason I'm still going to try it is because of what others have stated...housing, crafting, gardening, and other things that I should be doing in real life, but choose not to.

I am appalled at the number of trolls/fanboys there are for AA though. It seems strange that a lot of the playerbase is between the ages of 12-17. I'm assuming that's the case because generally with korean MMO's, it attracts a younger crowd, but the sandbox genre doesn't associate with the crowd that's populating. I'm sorry you've received such terrible backlash for your review on the game. It's unfair and uncalled for.

I also was eagerly waiting for GW2, but have very limited chances to play it, due to real life currently and internet because scarce I guess lol. And though it pains me to say it, WoW has done a lot of things right. To bring the MMO numbers from 250-500k subscribers in previous MMO's, to 12 million, is outstanding to say the least. But I'm always looking for a game that brings back consequences for your actions. I loved EQ, DAoC, and UO back in the day. Hopefully I'll find my fix in the next couple of years.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your review and I hope the mass "hate" doesn't derail you at all from continuing to do this in the future.

Perhaps I'll be around more often to review games with you guys. Been around for a month or so, so now there's a name to tie to my IP. :p

Cheers.

I have uploaded more of the convo from ArcheAge source:

It seems like everyone is pointing fingers at times where-as YOU ARE WRONG, NO YOU! It doesn't matter who is right or wrong. No one is trying to steal the ability to like something someone else does not. The point here as I mention in my last thread in response to "Doesn't the OP understand games can change?"

Totally understand how it can change. Hence my criticism. So maybbbeee someone will change something. But I also know a lot of people put too much water in the patch game. A game is made or broken from it's launch and susequence few months following. After that there is little grace for redemption. Gamers are tough audiences :)

When we invest in things it obviously brings out the worst in us. We feel like investing our money into something proves it's worth and no one I REPEAT no one likes to be wrong about their investments. Even if true, you get this subculture of people who will go to bat for things even if they don't deserve it, just to save face to no one else but themselves.

I will highlight one thing Jeml said. Sword Art Online (SAO). Go watch it to understand his comment about headbands and "feeling the wind".

Other than that, I have nothing to contribute to this other than "Good Read."

I'm not ready to write this game off quite yet. The non-combat elements are VERY interesting, but if I want to simulate a little town to live in, I'll play Sim City (when the servers are up).

I don't think criticizing the graphics is being nit-picky. AA is going heavy into realism. I think that's great, a lot of other stuff I see is cartoony, but if you're going that route, you are going to be held to a higher standard if things seem "off". If I am constantly annoyed by graphical inconsistencies, if it hurts my eyes to look at the screen, I'm not going to play- regardless of how good any other features are.

I think Tr1age's review may have painted the picture a bit bleaker than necessary, but I view AA as an MMO with something to prove.

I just posted this reply on ArcheAge source because I just found apparently this hit Massively. I am a little late to the party: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/07/dont-believe-the-archeage-hype-lengthy-fan-review-warns/

------------

Wow haven't been here for a bit. That review of the secret world was very old wow I had shit quality back then.(they posted my shit review of the secret world where I tore it a new asshole) Anyway, I must say however, I was spot on for that one. It was a fail game on every level. Soo not sure the point.

But I saw a comment on Massively that I wanted to quote here as I think it is still being missed:

@Maxx_Stein What he likes isn't probably as important as what he does not like, which in this case is AA; I'm not sure why his liking one MMO invalidates his criticism of another one. Why's everything got to be some sinister ulterior motives conspiracy theory with you people? I watched a lot of X-Files too when I was younger and I didn't turn out this way.

That being said, I played UO for somewhere around 12 years from release until then, even worked for them as a CM. I will always hold that game true. I worked for Blizzard Entertainment after I started making videos for them as a fan and they hired me to direct them professionally. I loved WoW and it slowly lost its fun. Why did I like it? Well first and foremost it was fun to play with friends and I love games that encourage that, which is why I too like all of you was SUPER hyped for AA. Sand-Park Love that. AA seemed to have the social aspects of sitting in a mine like UO and having conversation to make mundane fun. It had housing, instances, etc etc. It filled my new love of themepark which I never even liked prior to WoW. I played WoW I would say until Wrath and then stopped. Kinda skipped through BC, loved vanilla, and was working with it everyday so it was tough to play it after working with it.

WoW and Blizzard are great games and great companies that really put in a lot of effort to what they do. They pay attention to the small details such as SOUND. Which by the way when done right is one of those rewardless jobs. If it is wrong however you know. They polish a lot of aspects of a game and focus on them.

So seeing AA I was like holy shit so much in one game this is awesome! I was tired of playing the grind game and the instanced game. And OH GOD REAL WORLD PVP amen. Well.. that turned out to be false when I logged into AA.

So one might say OMG he liked UO when I said I liked WoW or one could say he liked WoW when I said i liked GW2 OR we could just say I like multiple games with different approaches and I too am excited for the industry to make strides forward. But alas, we prefer to attack low and hard and ignore anything ACTUALLY being said.

Like I am sure someone will bring up bias because of my past job. In all reality I love games, I love the community it creates, and I want as many places that I can to call my virtual home. I don't need the "next big thing" I just need to enjoy what is infront of me now and only look toward the future of games when they show promise. (which is why my youtube has planetside 2 and gw2 stuff all over it, I am enjoying these games, to an extent, issues posted in prior posts, so I wanted to make videos with them... )Then when able to play them I try for myself, like I did with AA, forming an opinion and then play it or not. I felt the need to express my opinions on AA publicly because there was no "opposite side of the fence" articles and so had I not gotten into the Korean beta, I too would have been in the same boat as most of the comments here. Instead of what I think is deserves: Skeptical at best. I would NOT care if you played farmville or dance dance or my little pony online. If you played AA and had an opinion I would listen to it then try the game for myself to really get the "feel" of it. I also would watch tons of videos of it, and from those videos start to form my own hype. And I did just that. I watched videos I got hyped then I tried it and turns out I was wrong(oddly enough something in the videos did seem off with the combat too *red button pressed*). So before you say I went in with that attitude understand the reason alttabme has all the info on the game is cause we were extremely excited about it.

Now, we are very skeptical and looking to see IF Trion steps up there game to make this Korean "beta" called release playable in the west.

And finally if that is still not good enough:
"This 'article' is basically taking every point of the GW2 advertising campaign and then saying AA doesn't have them."
Did we read the same article?

Something from GW2 was quoted once, and referenced only in the opening paragraph, a little in combat in terms of single target and ranged being static, 'sense of hitting', cut-scenes and conclusion.

The other stuff was addressing potential issues with no reference to GW2 whatsoever. I'd say he mentioned UO more than GW2, to be honest

lol, I just read the first comment on the massively post. Apparently you're a child virgin that isn't allowed to talk about graphic appeal.

Edit : Phew, after reading all of the comments, people really hate you as a GW2 fanboy. I love how the fanboi battles ensue on any forum. Even if you try your best to be objective, one can't ignore their past experiences and personal influence and be opinionated. Silly peoples.

BTW, I didn't even read your article. I don't even know what AA is all about. Zero interest at all, but I love the human mind in terms of arguments.

I'm not ready to write this game off quite yet. The non-combat elements are VERY interesting, but if I want to simulate a little town to live in, I'll play Sim City (when the servers are up).

I don't think criticizing the graphics is being nit-picky. AA is going heavy into realism. I think that's great, a lot of other stuff I see is cartoony, but if you're going that route, you are going to be held to a higher standard if things seem "off". If I am constantly annoyed by graphical inconsistencies, if it hurts my eyes to look at the screen, I'm not going to play- regardless of how good any other features are.

I think Tr1age's review may have painted the picture a bit bleaker than necessary, but I view AA as an MMO with something to prove.

Agreed. Unfortunately Trion is a publisher bringing the MMO to the states. Which usually means they can change little, if anything. What they can do is listen to people's feedback and pass it along to XL Games.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/572/feature/7239/The-Trion-Worlds-Connection.html/page/1

When I first heard about ArcheAge, I personally salivated at the idea of a hybrid sandbox, and while that's still the case, the lack of information regarding Trion World's publication of ArcheAge is a bit worrying. A number of reports have noted how, in an effort to be something awesome, some aspects of Archeage seem to be half-baked. At the very least, the game appears to skew slightly towards compulsive play rather than accessible gaming.
Trion Worlds has kept quiet since the announcement that it would publish the English version of ArcheAge in a number of territories. James "Elrar" Nichols explained that "the strategic rollout and execution of our plans needs to be calculated and concise" because of ArcheAge's status as both a new intellectual property (which means it has no safety net) and a Korean MMORPG (which means it comes with certain cultural nuances and stigmas).

While I'm worried that Trion Worlds may not be able to deliver excellence with ArcheAge, because of how publishing is different from creating and managing the content of an MMORPG, I do know that the Trion Worlds connection can be a powerful sword with which to make ArcheAge a formidable contender in the MMO arena, if it is wielded properly.
If the above-linked accounts are to be believed, Trion Worlds has to make sure it's covered its bases when they begin creating momentum for ArcheAge. Here are some things Trion Worlds will likely need to consider in order to make ArcheAge something great for English-speaking audiences while protecting their brand name as a quality MMO maker.
ArcheAge1_t.jpg

Stigma-killing
In that same forum post I quoted Elrar, he also mentioned something very important. He said, "Right now we're focused on climbing the hill and planning how much we can make the pendulum swing. We're going to need to take all of your great grassroots momentum, couple it with world class branding & marketing, and deliver a clear message about what ArcheAge has to offer and how it's different from your standard MMO fare."
When Trion Worlds finally begins using its clout to explain ArcheAge to the English-speaking world, it has to dispel the stigma of the phrase, "another Korean MMO." If Trion Worlds is smart, it will frame its discussions of Archeage in reference to how this new game is not only a new IP and a new world, but also a new world that does not have the hindrances that made other Korean MMOs sufficiently niche or otherwise lackluster.
Trion Worlds has to address existing English reports of ArcheAge, instead of ignoring them. It also has to be upfront about what Trion Worlds can and cannot do to the IP, and prepare for how people will take the limitations that XL Games may impose on Trion Worlds as publisher to maintain XL Games' vision of the Archeage IP.
The Largest Niche
While I have mentioned in a Devil's Advocate Column that I think there is room for a number of niche MMOs in the gaming sphere, ArcheAge is a supposed to be a big-budget MMORPG and cannot afford a small niche. If Trion Worlds and XL Games want to do well with ArcheAge, they have to rightfully address any accurate accounts in English reports and work towards gaining and maintaining the largest niche it can create.
What does this mean?
ArcheAge2_t.jpg

Simply put, If XL Games and Trion Worlds are planning on bringing this game to Western Audiences, known complaints from both the current audience and the desires of the particular niche the two companies wish to engage in the future have to be looked at, analyzed, accounted for, and then fixed for the English ArcheAge version.
If reports from Korea are saying combat feels off or not particularly visceral or engaging, these have to be remedied for the Trion Worlds release. If the economy encourages goat farming to min-max profits, the two companies have to address this properly. If someone is saying the game's sound effects are insanity-inducing, then by all means, fix it.
The Yoshida Approach
The other thing that needs to be taken care of once information comes flooding in is that ArcheAge may want to consider a Naoki Yoshida approach to public relations. By this I mean that the producer of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has become a charismatic individual whose approach to supporting and building the reputation of a game that has been tarnished... and ArcheAge needs someone to be that visible as well.
The social media age is slowly being referred to as an age of authenticity, where PR speak is distrusted and people who are open and honest about the good and bad of a product one has a stake in are appreciated. I feel that ArcheAge's best bet is to not only have Trion Worlds' PR blitz, but a spokesperson who understands gamers' fears for the MMO industry, and who can honestly tell gamers if ArcheAge is going to be the game that will serve their needs.
A World Made by Us
I honestly believe ArcheAge will be a good home for many gamers. That said, if Jake Song was truly serious about ArcheAge's motto being "A world made by you," then it has to intrinsically understand the community it will now appeal to. Without that understanding, ArcheAge could very well fall by the wayside, which would hurt the MMO industry as a whole greatly. Here's to hoping Trion Worlds and XL Games brandish their IP properly and make an effective appeal to gamers' hearts.
ArcheAge3_t.jpg

If reports from Korea are saying combat feels off or not particularly visceral or engaging, these have to be remedied for the Trion Worlds release. If the economy encourages goat farming to min-max profits, the two companies have to address this properly. If someone is saying the game's sound effects are insanity-inducing, then by all means, fix it.
THAT![DOUBLEPOST=1363977365,1363976422][/DOUBLEPOST]It is important that we do not put all our eggs into one basket as consumers of video games. We need to be picky about games. Games are something we put a lot of time into, so we need to makes sure we as the people who will be playing them enjoy them. That article hit it on the head.

I saw a lot of people get all excited about Secret World and Tera, they both had cool "aspects" but as a whole they were not complete. ArcheAge as it stands in the opposite of Tera. Shitty combat tons of content. We need to make sure we talk about those things.

As he said: "If the sound isn't right" as someone who values sound more than many, it goes without saying that it has to be good. But when it is good you will not yell and scream about how great it is you will just be immersed. Just like combat, housing, economy, movement, end game. They can all BE in the game, but if they are not polished they are instantly immersion / game breaking to our minds and our will to play longer.

I for one think MMO's need to stop being released as BETAS and RELEASED when they are ready. Server issues aside, GAMEPLAY should be where it should be when a game is shipped not patched 4 months down the road making those who already completed a majority of it feel cheated that they didn't experience the cool game that everyone else gets to play now without re-rolling.

A community needs to be rewarded for adopting a game in the beginning and helping to spread it to others not punished.

Top Bottom