What's new

Being a girl is awesome... mostly.

REDACTED

I am at work, watching latest Spring Fashions, cool new jewelry and sexy, seasonal shoes. I absolutely love observing trends, styles, and what is hot -- but, trust me, I am not a high maintenance girly girl. But, seeing all this great stuff got me to thinking how lucky we are as girls in that we have a lot of variety with our style choices, so much more than men.

But that also led me to another thought... do we ultimately create our style to appeal to the opposite sex? We want to look good right? But why? Is it to get compliments? To stand out? To be considered attractive? To turn heads or establish status?

For me personally, I approach style like I would art. I love color and creativity. I like something unique... special... something that makes me feel good. Honestly, if I like it and you don't, I'm okay with that; It's my style after all. And while receiving compliments is always nice, that is not why I dress the way I do. Comfort is also a big factor for me. Looking good sucks when you are in pain. Wearing high heels that make you want to chop your feet off at the ankles after a few hours, or a bra with a torturous underwire (that feels like barbed wire... and coincidently was originally designed by a man) are awful experiences. I don't like spending hours to prepare for my day, but I do like feeling put together. Playing dress up, since I was a little girl, has always been a blast for me. Experimenting with makeup, clothing, even hair accessories and wigs can make you feel like such a different person in an instant. I like that variety, it can be adventurous.

I have noticed in the gaming world how many guys love to play female characters. I hear it's mostly because if they are going to spend hours in a game they want to look at something "hawt" -- but I think it is also a chance for them to play dress up without persecution. Let's face it, it is fun!

So guys... let me just say, it is cool to be a girl for so many reasons. These are just a few superficial ones.

Oh, and one tip fellas... please don't wear meggings... even if you have the body for them. Women do not want to openly see your junk. Tight jeans, ok. Skinny jeans, sometimes. Meggings, NO. ijs. :)

meggings%20body.jpg

PS - Tristan if you move this post I will slap you. ;)

Every possible downside to being a guy is offset and then some from not having to give birth.

Not having a purse to carry stuff? Big pockets and briefcases.

Having less socially acceptable variability in style? Dressing in drag or just not caring what people think.

Not having to reenact a scene from Alien? Priceless.

... Getting kicked in the nads? ... Ok, that's pretty bad.*dead*

After getting home and re-reading my initial post, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I realize my opinions are that of a heterosexual, middle-aged female and perhaps different ages, orientations, regions or cultures may feel differently about MEGGINGS than I do. *grin*. I just think if a man will go that far with his fashion, I'd rather just see him naked.

/strip

Also, I think Corvus is right, though I haven't had any babies myself (by choice)... labor definitely offsets any drawbacks for being a man; also Kel's point is one that truly makes me envious of the male gender.

A few well-known drawbacks of being a woman are:
  • Regular visits from our nuisance relatives (Uncle Tom & Aunt Flo)
  • Big Boobs. Small Boobs. Gravity on all boobs.
  • Earning 77 cents on the dollar compared to male counterparts (Still! As of 2012)
  • Misplaced junk (everywhere but the trunk); Sagging, Bagging, Dragging, Gagging
  • Aging gracefully, and avoiding pressures to surgically or chemically modify ourselves to stay attractive. (Something I personally would never do, but I try not to judge those who choose that route.) Why is it that older men have character lines, and older women have crow's feet? Older men are considered distinguished, and older women are considered disintegrating? :D

So, imagine a guy going to work looking like that, expecting to be taken seriously? Not gonna happen.

Now, imagine its a really REALLY cold day. awwwww, pooor little stumpy guy.

I am too white to pull off anything where my junk is pressed on. I am a grower not a shower ;)

Hey guys... please don't adopt this look either. I think this should be called a 'run-away' instead of a 'runway'.

mad-men-bad-mens-fashion-3.jpg

After getting home and re-reading my initial post, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I realize my opinions are that of a heterosexual, middle-aged female and perhaps different ages, orientations, regions or cultures may feel differently about MEGGINGS than I do. *grin*. I just think if a man will go that far with his fashion, I'd rather just see him naked.

It's the rants section! Offending people doesn't matter! Even disregarding that you never implied that men aren't "allowed" to wear those clothes you just expressed your opinion that they are unflattering, which couldn't offend anyone.

• Earning 77 cents on the dollar compared to male counterparts (Still! As of 2012)
This is actually inaccurate. When you lump all women and men together then yes men still earn more than their female counterparts on average. However as of the 2010 census single, childless women ages 22-30 earned more on average than their male counterparts. This would indicate that the overall trend of men earning more than women has probably already gone away (if not flipped the other way around) but that the statistics are still affected by the fact that disadvantaged generations of women are still in the workforce.

I am too white to pull off anything where my junk is pressed on. I am a grower not a shower ;)

You should bring back the codpiece :D

OMG... my eyes! My eyes!

mens-skirts-merts-2.jpg

This looks less like a fashion show and more like a dominatrix forcing her army of gimps to walk through public in their play clothes...

This looks less like a fashion show and more like a dominatrix forcing her army of gimps to walk through public in their play clothes...

Another plus side to being a woman! Lol
And unless Tristan relocated my post, AGAIN *sigh*, this was in All The Things, not Rants.

Learn to TOPIC! You were ranting :angrybirds11:

Speaking of ranting I am going to make a rant about how many times a day I move Kismet's posts to the proper place. It will take me a few days to write as I need to source all my examples :angrybirds8:

Top Bottom