What's new

Being unable to be artistic

Euchale

Crazy German Guy
Hi all,

I´ve been struggling my whole life with the problem that I am artistically unable. There is only one art that I´m halfway decent and that´s singing, but as soon as my hands are involved I fail. Things I´ve tried so far:
Drawing, sculpting, coloring, photographing, playing the piano, putting together stuff from rubbish
This is very frustrating, because I have a lot of ideas, but the result is so bad that most people won´t even say, practice makes perfect.
This whole thing resurfaced right now, because I am close to 3 years of piano lessons, and as soon as I have to play with both hands my brain simply fails. Which is really weird because I can play even difficult pieces with no problem if I only play one hand.
From the difficulty, I´m halfway through the second year book. So yeah...

Would you be willing to share any of the pieces (either musical or artistic)? I'm actually really curious to hear a piano piece that you have played one handed and then with both hands. That's a fascinating issue (albeit frustrating no doubt) to have and I'm wondering what would cause it.

Some additional questions (I hope you don't mind but I actually find this very interesting and am wondering if we can pinpoint what causes the problem and if there are any correlations):

1. If you use only one hand to try and generate any art do you have the same results as with music? Meaning can you actually draw, color, etc. anything better with one hand vs. both?

2. Do you sing while you play piano? If yes how does it affect the result?

3. Have you tried any other instruments that require the use of both hands or just one?

4. Can you play the piano with either hand just as well or is it tied to just one or the other?

Would you be willing to share any of the pieces (either musical or artistic)?
I´m going to record myself while practice today. I don´t have any drawings lying around, because I gave up a long time ago^^

1. Not as far as I can tell. I´m probably better with my right hand, because with my left hand I can´t even do proper lines.
I still can remember, in school we had to do a sketch drawing of Europe and I somehow managed to draw Italy with the foot to the wrong site. Not because I didn´t know, it´s just what came out of my mind onto the paper.

2. No, I tried this, and that is not working (because I constantly sing on the notes of what I´m supposed to play or vice versa)

3. My brother taught me playing drums left-handed. It worked out at slower speeds, but as soon as it gets faster my brain does not compute.

4. Both hands just as well.

Now that you talk about it, maybe it has to do that I´m not clearly right- or left-handed. I write with my right hand. I use forks with my left hand. If something drops on the ground I use that one that is closer to the object.

Ugh... I know that feeling all too well... That's why I'm studying Computer Science. It's like the art of logic! (And a keyboard is about the one implement my hands can actually use well).

Keep on persevering!

It's like the art of logic!

This is exactly it. My friends are the exact same way. I think it's cause you guys use the left side of the brain more. I believe it's that side that has to do with logic. I always get them mixed up. You guys tend to be good at other ways of expressing art. Like Math. I totally think it's an art. I honestly could not have placed it in better words: The art of logic.

Me? I'm totally inclined to the right brain. I'm horrible at math and anything else where it's all logically inclined, which frustrates me. I feel dumb around all my friends, who most happen to be programers, coders, and all that jazz.

Ever try vector art on a computer?

Btw, why you never heard me playing: I am unable to record me playing right now. So yeah, maybe after I come back from switzerland.

Euchale

How interesting! I'm terrible at piano, but I was poking around online and it seems like tons of people come across this hurdle. A Google search provides over 5 million hits (most are relevant).

One of the hits on pianists' brains was pretty insightful. The two key points I pulled from it were:
  1. Condition the non-dominant hand through practice.
    • Very few people are ambidextrous, and even less of those are pianists, yet there are many awesome pianists.
    • Reminded me of this article by the Huffington Post on Before/After drawings. Practice is important!
  2. A pianist works towards getting to the point where the melodies are a language, and the keys are their voice.
    • Meaning, I believe, that a pianist will become proficient with their offhand once they can stop thinking about their hands.
On a more personal note, I find that some of my best "work" happens when I stop thinking. That sounds like some cheesy advice from a samurai movie, but these completely reactive situations range from driving to PvP in games (particularly MVC2/SF2 and FPSs) and even writing papers. Thinking about that recent driving experience, that shit's pretty complicated! Clutch, downshift, light brake, toggle emergency flashers, check blindspot, turn to avoid the object on the road, center vehicle in new lane, clutch, upshift, gas... that's quite the dance that I wouldn't have been able to do even after a few years of being behind the wheel. It isn't nearly as difficult as trying to navigate 88 keys with two hands and produce something pleasant to the ear, but the muscle memory was important.

My guess is that you already have an ear for music if you can play well with one hand. It's something many of us cannot do at all! If you enjoy it, then I believe practice will make perfect (or at least very good). And honestly, what is there to lose? Time? As gamers, we're used to investing time to grind out points for one thing or another. Perhaps each key pressed with the offhand is a point of xp, and each melody is an Achievement? Haha..

people are ambidextrous
What I probably didn´t get right in my first post is, that I can play well with both hands. The problem only comes when I have to play them together. I am somewhat ambidextrous. I can use a mouse right or left-handed no problem. I also use the fork if I only have a fork with my left hand, but when I have fork+knife, the fork is in my right hand.
My piano teacher told me, that it has something to do with my age. She has it with everyone who started playing the piano at age 16 or above. People start thinking what they are playing. And that´s something I´ve been unable to turn off.
There are two main parts where I have problems:
One hand goes up and the other hand goes down or stays on the same key.
One hand plays staccato and the other hand binds.
What I do in that case is, that I use the wrong hand to do it. (so my left hand plays the same key again and my right hand moves up, but it was supposed to be the other way)

Still pretty talented imo. You sticking with it?

I always have to learn something new/challenging. And the Piano is still challenging. So I will stick with it until I feel like I can learn any song that I want. After that guitar or drums (or a language)

Top Bottom