What's new

Betrayed

Keleynal

Jesus Freak
I feel betrayed by Lance Armstrong.

I have a short list of people that I've looked up to, that I've thought of as true heroes, full of strength and integrity. Lance Armstrong was one of those people for me. The way he overcame cancer and won race after race, donating large sums of money to his research foundation- it was inspirational. When the allegations of doping came, I was quick to cry harrassment and move to his defense. I even posted on a couple forums that were dedicated to supporting him and stood up for him against friends and acquaintances that got snarky.

Now he has finally come clean and admitted to taking drugs. Admitted that he used them for all his Tour de France wins. Admitted that he did not think he could have won without them. And by all reports that I could find, did so dispassionately with little to no feelings of remorse. It would not have helped his situation to display remorse, but at least I would still view him as being human.

Lots of people like to see heroes fall. Not me. I like heroes. I want my kids to have real, flesh and blood people that I can point to and say "See? They did it right and came out on top." I don't believe in or want to live in a world where only the liars, cheaters, and scumbags win, even if temporarily.

A few years ago, not far from where I live, a beautifuil soccer stadium was erected. It was christened "Livestrong Park," and I was proud to have it in my community. Now I don't want to drive past it anymore. I don't want to explain what the Livestrong Foundation is to my kids. I never want to see a yellow wristband again.

Hopefully, someday, I'll be able to forgive Armstrong for his betrayal. But that day is not today.

I definitely understand how you feel Kel. I found it really disappointing as well, especially because there was denial for so long. But... on a positive note... he is 'human', he erred, and he finally came clean about it. Forgiveness will come, but disappointment will linger. I wish he had shown more remorse as well, but I think he is just over it.

I could not imagine living a lie like that for so long.

I always give benefit of the doubt, I'm always quick to trust and not rush to judgment. Even though it hurts when my trust isn't rewarded, I refuse to become cynical and mistrustful. But maybe now I will be lees naive.

1. Lance didn't use steriods
2. I don't understand the rationale why people would label the action of injecting your own blood "doping". One might call it "illegal" but it is simply semantic. Soldiers do that all the time to enhance their combat ability. If injecting your own blood is "illegal", would you label drinking those power drinks or eating those power bars illegal too? By all means they ENHANCE your ability to do sport. Then every athlete has doped under this category. It is all semantic. Lance did not use any "drug"

That's great that he didn't use drugs, though I can't really take his word on anything at this point. It doesn't matter if he shot up speed , drank his own blood, or hopped into a car and rode to the. Finish line. He cheated and he lied and he lied about the people who tried to confront him. There's just no rationalizing that away.

1. Lance didn't use steriods
2. I don't understand the rationale why people would label the action of injecting your own blood "doping". One might call it "illegal" but it is simply semantic. Soldiers do that all the time to enhance their combat ability. If injecting your own blood is "illegal", would you label drinking those power drinks or eating those power bars illegal too? By all means they ENHANCE your ability to do sport. Then every athlete has doped under this category. It is all semantic. Lance did not use any "drug"

Lance admitted to using EPO, transfusions, and steroids on Oprah last week (Video) all three of which are grounds for disqualification in sporting events. I believe there is a great difference between increased protein intake (which has limited benefits, and only if combined with heavy training has effects) and chemical intake that drastically increases your ability to preform by increasing the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood far beyond the normal, as well as enhance muscle development, strength, and/or endurance.
Lance was fighting for victory, for fame, for money, he was partaking in a professional sport. I think we can all distinguish that from fighting for your country and the safety of others, and understand the two very different circumstances these situations warrant.

Arnold also juiced. He admitted it too.

Shouldn't this make people happier to know the world is NOT as plain as you see it, people are not Photoshop versions of themselves. People need help, people fuck up, and people also admit their mistakes be it because he needed a little fame or he was feeling bad. Regardless the word is NOT black and white when it comes to people and how we perceive them, especially famous people. Money is crazy, media is ridiculous, big companies blah. Tin foil hat... Or just understand that in a zombie Apocalypse, zombies aren't the only diseased people you may have to kill..

I agree the Lance was wrong in his judgement. We all make mistakes. What you do after those mistakes is what defines you. I do not believe in the man anymore but still believe in the foundation. The foundation has changed so MANY lives over the years that just because the founder fucked up doesn't mean people need to take it out on the foundation that has helped so many.

It's hard for me to write off Armstrong's actions as a "mistake." Especially a kind of mistake that is common to man. He juiced and lied and coerced and bullied for YEARS. That goes beyond a simple mistake and into the realm of just being a bad person. Is there forgiveness? Sure there is (I'm feeling more generous now). But there are sure as hell consequences. His consequence is to be remembered as a byword and cautionary tale rather than a hero.

Unfortunately, I think the foundation needs to change it's name in order to not be associated with him anymore.

Unfortunately, I think the foundation needs to change it's name in order to not be associated with him anymore.

This I agree with. A confession with no consequences isn't really a confession but self promotion.

inT6APy.jpg

At the end of the day he raised a bucket load of money for cancer research etc etc and wether he is a cheat or not, the people who benefit from the results will still be winners, no matter what the end result of this whole drama is. Most people when faced with fame flaunt it in diamonds and fancy cars, Lance Armstrong didn't. So whether he cheated or not, I kinda think hes alright.

Top Bottom