What's new

Broken hearted

I have thought about what you said Tristan. I never really realise that I love a girl untill after she let's me know that she doesnt want a relationship. And it indeed might not be love, but just excitement. Maybe it is the shock of my excitement being destroyed that makes me cry. This might sound weak or stupid but I miss persons in my life that I can just hug with. Just, be totally honest with and seek comfort. I have great friends that support me, but I get a feeling that I am missing out on something. Probably when a girl seems to like me I might get my hopes up too high too soon. ( sorry if my English is a little wrong sometimes..) I am a very sociable person and one of my best characteristics is that I'm able to cheer people up with humor and my happiness. But when something happens to myself I can get emotional very quickly. It would be so nice to have someone to share those emotions with or to just..share stuff with. I must sound pethathic and I don't know if this made any sense at all. Wow, really don't want to be mister sad pants here. Thanks Tristan, writing shit down helps.

Wald I'm the same way. Don't feel bad. I get very emotionally invested in my friends and I have a hard time dealing with losing them. When my best friend moved away for 2 years I cried. I knew she would be coming back but I had a terrible time knowing she wouldn't be around all the time.

You sound a lot like me in that you're willing to work to make others happy and sometimes you get hurt in the process. At least for me, I try to always take something positive away from anything negative that happens. I know it can be hard and the first few days (or longer) may suck immensely but things do get better.

If you need someone to talk to we're all here for you, as you've seen. Don't hesitate to chat whenever you feel the need <3

B: Don't EVER stop being who YOU are. That is so important for dating in general. I don't care what social "norm" anyone here says to abide by, "playing games" "taking your time" "not falling too fast" "taking it slow" "caring someone off" "walls".

Meta I think this really depends on each person. If they spend a lot of time together they will get to know each other a lot. Of course each person has to be on the same page, which, admittedly is different to do so early in a relationship. It's easy to say take things slow or one step at a time but sometimes and for some people (myself included), it's about going all in.

I think I need to clarify what I meant a bit. I agree with Tristan and Rux. A person shouldn't play games, hide his feelings to see if the other person likes him first, or break through the "You have to be with me for a year before I even open up to you a bit" type of walls to be with someone. But on the other hand I really don't believe in the "I'm like this, take it or leave it" mentality either. It's great when two people hit it off and both jump into something 100%. But what I'm saying is, is that that's not the norm. I'm not saying abide by the norm, I'm saying recognize what the norm is and move from there in the direction that is true to who you are in a way that does not push people away.

I think that it's that last part of that sentence that makes some people touchy. As if, if you change your approach that somehow you change who you are and are compromising or settling for less. Deciding who you are and what you want is an intimate, intricate problem which no one can answer but you. But deciding how you are going to get what you want is a completely different question. Here most people will say just be yourself and eventually it will work. And it's an advice that feels genuine and true but it's not really a specific step by step advice also it's not necessarily the most efficient way. People are different by their nature, by the experiences they had and by their environment. Plus they behave differently from one experience to the next and from one mood to the other. So what is wrong in being a bit flexible in approaching a person in a way that would make him/her understand you a little bit better?

You are not posing, you are not being fake, or compromising who you are, you are communicating who you are and what you want in a way that you think the other person will understand best. In the end doesn't that increase the chance of finding someone who is like you but maybe communicates a bit differently?

And here we come back full circle. Don't be so unbending that you think "This is who I am and this is how I behave and I don't care what you think" and on the other hand don't be so accommodating to other people that you are bending in ways that when you look back you don't recognize yourself either. I did both of those mistakes and can tell you that both will leave you with a broken heart. The truth is 98% of who we end up is just the people we are surrounded with and the remaining 2% is our own personal choice.

I'm aware that my opinion may be unorthodox and in the vast minority, but I felt like explaining myself as detailed as possible. That's because this all seems so familiar, and on the off chance you are like me, maybe it could help.

P.S. Just the simple act of self-reflection will help you more than you can imagine.

I feel I also need to clarify. I'm all for being yourself but a relationship is also about compromises. Not huge self altering ones, but things that make life a little easier for both people. It's important to be open with the other person in a relationship otherwise things start to go south pretty quickly.

I have to agree with Tristan. I've been in your spot an awful lot myself, and wondered the same things about myself as well. Then I started changing myself to be the ideal guy that somebody might want and I started to lose who I really was inside. DON'T DO THAT. lol I finally realized eventually you will find somebody. Just don't ever sacrifice who you truly are for anybody. Be who you are and have fun with it. Personally I like to make random sounds, I flail my arms A LOT when I have nothing to put my hands on and there are probably a million other things women might not like about me, but someday I will find somebody who just loves all of that but until then fuck everybody else. :D (Probably a poor outlook but it seems to be working for me. :D)

Oh don't get me wrong, dating is a damn art. Being yourself and also getting the first word in before the judgement is a damn skillset. But what I have found is the people I have to use that "over time" skillset I have learned to get past the girls that are guarded or very walled in, ends up with me picking the wrong girl.

Sure not everyone falls into the way I approach relationships, but I spend a lot of time in Zurich when i was young and I know 100% that the "guarded" or "share too much" is centralized to America. I am very much of the mindset that it truly is better for ME personally to be 100% myself when approaching the first part of a conversation or getting to know process with another person. Of course I have learned ways to make it smooth and can adapt on the fly, that is social skills. Without social skills one could use a book on how to pick up girls and it would work, because there is a formula for the 98% of girls/guys.

Regardless of if you have to spit some game in any situation, it should never feel like a task or an accomplishment because of it.

We will all compromise something here and there, but make sure those compromises are OK with YOU in the end.

zbCy0.jpg

I know some girls that will never leave you. Sally Palmer and her five friends! (get it?!!)

So messed up since I knew a girl named Sarah Palmer, who was a complete slut. If it dangled she tried to put it in her. >.>

I usually refer to it as "Palmela Handerson and her five sisters." Then I hold up my thumb and whisper "I like the fat one."

Top Bottom