What's new

BSOD: Why?

Rajax

So I was getting some BSOD's/memory dump before I purchased my HD7970 video card. This morning I was watching a youtube video, started getting some audio distortion and then it happened again.

Windows troubleshooter is useless. I have fan speed on max just to ensure it's cool (was playing Crysis 3 couple weeks ago and just left it since).

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to avoid this annoyance?

Clean uninstall your drivers.
Also write down the 0x0000000???? code next time. It actually has meaning.

I completely uninstalled all the drivers from the previous video card with Driver Sweeper and reinstalled the ones for the new video card.

I also remember while installing the Catalyst Control Centre that an error message popped up saying installation failed except when you look at the log it said every item was installed successfully. Didn't really pay much attention to it past that. I have a picture of the BSOD # from previous occasions, I will dig it up (assuming it's the same one). I will also try to remember if it happens again to write it down.

Edit: Can't find the old picture, must have been on the phone I lost awhile ago. Damn.

What tr1age said - next time you see the BSOD, write down the code and do a quick google search, it'll help you pinpoint the issue! ^^

Yeah my old one I researched extensively and it was between a Driver or hardware issue that was known. Newest drivers never worked and it was an OEM card lol. I know Raz mentioned re-baking my old card to see if that helped that one.

I would uninstall again. And reinstall drivers if you saw something fail. Otherwise I swear there are some other drivers for those kinds of cards that are actually better than stock. F me if I remember. Got tired of the bs and moved to Nvidia a while ago. Although they still have bs. Just less. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's almost always some sort of information about the event in the system log.

• Right click on My Computer then click on Manage.
  • Expand the Event Viewer
  • Expand Windows Logs
  • Click on System
Now to the right you should see a TON of system events. Scroll down to around the time that the BSOD happened. Now from that time until just after it you should see a bunch of errors and maybe even a warning or critical notification. Open them by double clicking on them, then take screenshots of those and attach them here. I'll check them out for you. :)

tr1age: The 3rd-party ATI drivers are OmegaDrivers. They are usually better than stock ATI drivers but they aren't always.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with the driver you said failed to installed properly (like everyone else was thinking). The last error you posted and said was happening fairly often, is an error that occurs when something tries to access the registry but fails for one reason or another -- Like a driver trying to update or something along those lines.

So just take the advice of everyone else -- Reinstall your drivers (again), write down the actually "0x0000000" code and anything else you see next time you get a BSOD (or take a pic like you did before), and consider trying those Omega drivers I linked above. :)

Sorry that's all I can give you for right now. Those errors are pretty general and don't give anything super-specific.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I had noticed that there was an AMD CCC that could not be uninstalled from the Control Panel nor from Drive Sweeper. Went and found a program called Revo Uninstaller and it found a bunch of stuff that the Driver Sweeper and online tutorials of having deep cleaning couldn't.

I reinstalled the drivers so *fingers crossed* it won't happen again.

Omega didn't seem to have any new drivers out, hopefully AMD ones will work properly.

Again thanks guys!

Can you send me the minidump that the BSOD generates? I'd like to have look at it.

The minidumps are stored here: %SystemRoot%\Minidump (or just C:\Windows\Minidump ; it's the same thing).

Just upload the files to a cloud storage like Mega.co.nz or something and send me the link.

PS: Minidumps are generated for IT professionals so that they can better know what goes wrong, most "computer professionals" hardly know what it is or how to analyze it.

Reinstalling drivers won't tell you if it's fixed or not, it just gives a little bit of hope. With the minidumps you can be sure of it (until you get another problem after fixing the first one lol, happened to me a couple of times).

Top Bottom