What's new

Building a Protoman helmet for Gyoin

TIG

I like GOOOOOLLLLD!
Gyoin wanted to do a protoman cosplay for Pax East and I have a little history with some of the steps involved with making armor and props. I said I would give it a go for the helmet which is the only piece he needed outsourced.

I figured I would post some progress pics and hopefully it gets done good enough for him to wear when we meet up in March.

For those who want to know, one way of making props or armor is building up from a paper layout all the way to paint. The steps are as follows

1. Obtain a 3d model of the item you want to make
2. Unfold that 3d model in a program called Pepakura which slices the model into pieces that can be printed on paper or card stock
3. Print out those flat pieces of the mode.
4. Cut out those pieces
5. Glue them back together so you now have a 3d prop made out of paper or card stock. At this point you have the item, but its flimsy and very polygony and bumpy.
6. Cover the paper in an epoxy to give it rigidity and strength.
7. Cover the prop in bondo and sand it down to get rid of imperfections and make it smooth and pretty.
8. Paint and/or weather it to make it look right for the costume.

Well, here goes..

Edit: fast forward a few months and here is the whole build

Last edited:
Here is what it looks like when you have all the pieces cut out and each individual piece glued together. I use regular printer paper and superglue. I cut it out with an exacto knife

qDMoTsz.jpg

and here it is fully assembled and ready for epoxy.

2hoV86N.jpg

1OtwOyr.jpg

The thing that is covering where the mouth would go is just a support so that when I do add the epoxy the helmet stays in the right shape. It will be removed after the epoxy or bondo is applied.

Euchale, the plan is to get some tinted plastic and bend it into a visor shape, so yes.

Sim, yes I used printer paper and it is SUPER flimsy at the moment. Thats why the next step is covering it in 2 part epoxy. the epoxy mixes at a consistency of syrup and hardens to a plastic like consistency. then I can do shaping work on it with bondo. As for the details it came from a 3d model so thats why it looks so good at the moment. All I did was cut, fold, and glue

I'll post the next pic when I get all the epoxy on.

time for some progress pics. I put rondo on the inside for some bulk and stability. Rondo is a mix of bondo and resin which makes the bondo more the consistancy of pancake batter instead of its normal clay/putty consistency. Let that cure overnight then today I started putting bondo on the outside so I can end up sanding it and giving it a nice finish. This is only the first batch of bondo but I will probably have to cover the whole thing and sand it down. Then on to paint, and mail it out.

9noEnXo.jpg

Pmg5KpN.jpg

4UXswio.jpg

In those pics I just used a rasp, looks like a cheese grater. that was just to knock down the hard edges. I have done some work since then and right now I am using a dremel multi tool that has a sander attachment that I already owned, but yes hand sanding is common. Starting with 60 grit and will take it up to 120 before paint.

Still doing some bondo work, but close to finished with putting that on. should be in paint this weekend.

S8VnSzL.jpg

bSWsVaf.jpg

RdAQidh.jpg

Well crap, its lopsided. need to do some surgery

oIEmBpc.jpg

bqYy4aB.jpg

29MglZy.jpg

Wd1ShsQ.jpg

InUUnuZ.jpg

And with the supports removed it stays in the shape I wanted it. now back to bondo and cleaning up edges. I'm hoping for 1 day of work on it then on to paint.

OK instead of posting another 15 pics each. here is the gallery. Including a pic of Gyoin in the full costume.

Top Bottom